Options

Bruce confirmed as returning

Comments

• Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    cwickham wrote: »
    I really don't think there's any evidence that keeping Brucie is going to cost viewers. As usual it's just a vocal minority against him.
    And your evidence for it being just a vocal minority? This forum does not prove how many are for and how many against. There are the vocal for and the vocal against, but what about the non-vocal for and non-vocal against. No-one knows how many of each there are.

I was very careful to say IF the viewing figures go down. I have no evidence of whether they will or whether they won't go down. No-one will know until the viewing figures for the first show are published. I don't believe in making sweeping statements about other people's opinions. IF is a very useful word.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    Bruce has many fans and one of them is Mark Linsey, controller of entertainment commissioning. Speaking of Bruce's return to the show, he said: "I'm delighted Bruce is back. He's the life and soul of the Strictly party so it's great news that we've managed to come up with a schedule that works for him and the show. Roll on September." :D:p:D

I'm with Mark in his camp tent, he must be finding it as hard to contain his excitement as I am.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't think there's any evidence that keeping Brucie is going to cost viewers. As usual it's just a vocal minority against him.

Its a shame that the minority are always so vocal and not as respectful as the silent majority who by contrast know how to conduct themselves in a respectful and decent manner.

Things said on the internet never fail to shock and sadden me, Sir Bruce would always have my best wishes for a continuing long and happy life and a continuing succesful career.

The Great British Public would fully and unreservedly endorse those sentiments of mine, and be aghast at some disgraceful suggestions being made by others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I'm with Mark in his camp tent, he must be finding it as hard to contain his excitement as I am.
    Which of the one-man shows are you going to Terry, Thu 23 May in Salford, Thu 30 May in Birmingham or Mon 3 Jun in London? Bet you're finding it hard to contain your excitement over that as well as him hopefully returning to Strictly in four month's time.

We're all part of the Great British Public, but fortunately don't necessarily share the same opinions, which we are perfectly entitled to do - what a boring world it would be if we did.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    It strikes me that mark linsey is very much an entrepreneur business type of person, with people like him who are there it is evident that BBC are no charity at all. Wondering if the voting stats will drop this year? As I believe that contributes to sir bruce's wages. It shouldn't be up to the BBC on things, it should be up to the viewers in my eyes. Obvious that BBC don't have faith in anyone else but Bruce. :mad:
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Its a shame the minority are always so vocal and not as respectful as the silent majority who by contrast know how to conduct themselves in a respectful and decent manner.

Things said on the internet never fail to shock and sadden me, Sir Bruce would always have my best wishes for a continuing long and happy life and a continuing succesful career.

The Great British Public would fully and unreservedly endorse those sentiments of mine, and be aghast at some disgraceful suggestions being made by others.

We will see about that when viewer and voting stats drop like a stone this series. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now we know that the BBC have agreed a contract with Bruce, does anyone know how to set up a poll to canvas opinion on how many are happy, how many aren't and how many don't care about the news?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    We will see about that when viewer and voting stats drop like a stone this series. :cool:

It beat X Factor last year.

I think it would be riskier to change SCD at this stage. So I can't see a problem. The majority of this forum dislike Bruce Forsythe, but it doesn't reflect the majority of the viewers.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »

Just because you're not going to watch, doesn't mean the millions who switched over from the show that you're turning to aren't. 'I tweeted that Danny Cohen and Bruce should be fired and one person retweeted it, therefore my view MUST be right'.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd think those allergic to Bruce would be celebrating that they're getting two shows fewer of him next year.
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope that he does not get anything wrong this year! Like forgetting the dancers names!
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    You'd think those allergic to Bruce would be celebrating that they're getting two shows fewer of him next year.

It's not quite the champagne, fireworks and giant exploding cake of a celebration I was hoping for though. Still, Good News indeed ... but more of a 'cup of tea and a nice biscuit'....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    It beat X Factor last year.

I think it would be riskier to change SCD at this stage. So I can't see a problem. The majority of this forum dislike Bruce Forsythe, but it doesn't reflect the majority of the viewers.
    How do you know what it reflects? What's your evidence? You can't make judgements without clear evidence, only opinions.

My objection to Bruce is that, for me, he showed he can't do the job propery any more last year. When I got to the point that I wasn't able to my job properly any more, I realised that and retired having trained someone to take over from me who could do a better job than I was then doing. Unfortunately Bruce hasn't got the self-awareness or integrity to do the same.

I've been pursuing other interests in the 16 years since I retired which I'm very happy doing and am delighted that the job I was doing is in very safe and better hands.
  • Options
    Miss_EdithMiss_Edith Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    My objection to Bruce is that, for me, he showed he can't do the job propery any more last year. When I got to the point that I wasn't able to my job properly any more, I realised that and retired having trained someone to take over from me who could do a better job than I was then doing. Unfortunately Bruce hasn't got the self-awareness or integrity to do the same.

I've been pursuing other interests in the 16 years since I retired which I'm very happy doing and am delighted that the job I was doing is in very safe and better hands.

What a great post! Neatly sums up everything I find distasteful about the man. Wish we were spared his overinflated ego and inane catchphrases & jokes... mute button is going to come in handy again!
  • Options
    crimsonlakecrimsonlake Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Miss_Edith wrote: »
    What a great post! Neatly sums up everything I find distasteful about the man. Wish we were spared his overinflated ego and inane catchphrases & jokes... mute button is going to come in handy again!

It's the catchphrases that get to me too. Vastly out of date. The grabbing at Tess and dragging her down the steps doesn't endear him to me either. And before anybody jumps in with accusations of ageism - he isn't that much older than me. I reckon I've paid my dues and suffered enough.
  • Options
    strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess looks embarrassed when they do the dance at the beginning of the show!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know what it reflects? What's your evidence? You can't make judgements without clear evidence, only opinions.

I don't have any evidence to back it up, of course. But we aren't in a court of law and so I don't have to. Similarly you haven't any evidence that the reverse is any more true. All there is is this forum and, sure, I can see Bruce Forsythe isn't very popular here, but it doesn't reflect the GBP.

All I know is this: the ratings are healthy. Week in week out it beat the X Factor last year. It had ratings that made Simon Cowell (I imagine) quite envious. Therefore that tells me lots of people aren't switching off because of BF. Either people are enjoying the show because of his presence or are tolerant of him or don't care. Were the show in a ratings slump I think the BBC would be concerned, but they aren't.

Just to add: I am not a fan of BF. He annoys me as much as most on here. Not just because of his bad jokes or his doddery delivery but because I think he clearly has a nasty side to him. He certainly didn't deserve the Knighthood and I thought his 'plumber' comment was dreadful. He seems to think he has some kind of entitlement and he does not. I also suspect he is a racist, homophobic fool in private, based on certain comments he has made over recent years - his support of Anton DuBeke over his horrible comment to Laila Rouass for one. That's my personal opinion of him and I'm glad to have the opportunity of saying so.

However, I think the BBC would be foolish to sack him and should wait until Bruce decides to pack it in, simply based on the wrath of some viewers saying the Corporation were ageist for doing so. The BBC can't and won't risk a tabloid heading that might say 'Bruce taken ill after BBC sacks him' (or worse). They'd rather he go in his own time - and whilst ratings are high there is no rush. But, secretly, I'm sure some (most, probably) at the Beeb will breathe a sigh of relief when 'Mister Saturday Night' leaves for good.

Hope this explains my position on the matter. :)
  • Options
    BruciesChinBruciesChin Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Will be interesting to see the ratings. I wonder how many just won't be able to put up with Bruce after last year's appalling performance from him, especially his bad temper yelling "Back off! Back off!" in the final. If the viewing figures go down, then it will be too late when the BBC realise they've made a very big mistake.

The youngsters need to know how to behave. Brucie is firm but fair.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree :cool:
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess looks embarrassed when they do the dance at the beginning of the show!

No, she doesnt ...
  • Options
    BruciesChinBruciesChin Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Dan06 wrote: »
    Speaking of his return to Strictly Come Dancing, he added: "It's looking like I'll definitely be doing it and I'm looking forward to it." :)

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s107/britains-got-talent/news/a480735/bruce-forsyth-children-shouldnt-be-on-britains-got-talent.html#ixzz2T5grftLN

This is marvellous news! Brucie is part of the Holy Trinity of Strictly; namely, Brucie, Anton and Tess! The Father, the Son and the Holy Hottie!!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few on here seem to overlook his irritating habit of trying to make it "all about him."

When the judges are giving their "comments," (which I accept is as much about self-promotion as an opinion on the performances) he can't bear to not be "the centre of attention" so he has to put in his two penn'oth at the same time.
    I'm not suggesting his presence will harm the ratings.
    But I wonder how many like me record it and fast forward through his embarrassing contributions.
    It was a fact that when he went off sick one Saturday and Tess and Claudia managed quite well without him, the ratings actually increased, (he rushed back the following week though, didn't he?)

His absence wouldn't have contributed to the increase, but it just shows he has no effect on the ratings one way or another.
    The BBC must be aware, that whether he goes or stays the show will be as popular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    I don't have any evidence to back it up, of course. But we aren't in a court of law and so I don't have to. Similarly you haven't any evidence that the reverse is any more true. All there is is this forum and, sure, I can see Bruce Forsythe isn't very popular here, but it doesn't reflect the GBP.

All I know is this: the ratings are healthy. Week in week out it beat the X Factor last year. It had ratings that made Simon Cowell (I imagine) quite envious. Therefore that tells me lots of people aren't switching off because of BF. Either people are enjoying the show because of his presence or are tolerant of him or don't care. Were the show in a ratings slump I think the BBC would be concerned, but they aren't.
    I'd already said you can't make judgements only give opinions. So absolutely nothing is clear - whether Bruce is popular or not; whether he has any effect on viewing figures or not; whether people watch just for the dancing or not; whether people watch for the celebs or not; whether people are watching Bruce or not. Who knows how many use catch-up to start watching the programme so-called live several minutes after it starts and then catch up to finish it live while fast-forwarding through Bruce's bits - no-one. The viewing figures don't differentiate between those watching the whole show live and those using catch-up with FF through the bits they don't like. They also don't include those who record the show and watch later nor those who record, watch later and FF through the bits they don't want to watch. Viewing figures only show those who watch at least part of it live and nothing else.

We don't know if people are enjoying the show because of Bruce's presence or are tolerant of him or don't care. We can only express our own opinion. Polls regarding his popularity/unpopularity on here don't mean squat. Who knows whether they reflect the GBP or not - it's likely because it's a fact that people readily complain, but are less likely to praise, but not necessarily so, but we just don't know.

This forum (and others) are just a way that those of us who want can rant or praise or otherwise express opinions and thoughts - and I will continue to do so. Others can disagree with my dislike of the man, and they are perfectly free to do so and express their liking/love/admiration/whatever for him as long as they also allow me to express my dislike/not quite hate/aversion/whatever for him. Others can criticise my opinions so long as I can also criticise theirs.
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I will have to tolerate him for another year then...
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Maybe Britain isn't such a "stinking hole" when he's getting paid lots of money for doing a very poor job. :mad:

I disliked him before that comment and now I just want him to stay in Puerto Rico or wherever it is and stop spoiling SCD for me and hundreds of others.