SuBo Drunk or High on US TV

NScotNScot Posts: 193
Forum Member
http://www.clickmusic.com/news/article/susan-boyle-slurs-and-stumbles-lyrics-on-the-wendy-williams-show

Susan Boyle accused of being drunk after slurring her words on The Wendy Williams show

Concerned viewers said she looked as though she was drunk or on medication

There are concerns for Susan Boyle's health after the global sensation's recent appearance on The Wendy Williams Show. She was promoting her new Home for Christmas album when she appeared to be drunk or medicated while singing, leaving American viewers concerned.

Susan started to slur and forget the words during a performance of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas', which is taken from her new LP. She looked visibly uncomfortable throughout the song as she struggled to hit some of the higher notes. Some of the lyrics were also left incomprehensible as she struggled through with her arms locked into a strange position

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g-WCZvY8o

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It a different way, it was very much like the last live performance of Amy Winehouse, out of tune, slurring, she may have a great voice, but no-way is she a star... Felt she may be on something!
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, she just looks very nervous. She strikes me as someone who isn't comfortable performing live and lacks the confidence to be able to move around the stage or cover any mistakes by ad-libbing. She looks like a rabbit caught in car headlights.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medication perhaps? She seemed very stiff and awkward from the very start of the song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she looks like she was on medication and really didn't want to be there!
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRS W wrote: »
    I think she looks like she was on medication and really didn't want to be there!

Bloody Hellfire, I'm not a fan or detractor of Susan but always thougt she needed special taking care of...
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say medication. Maybe something to calm her? Pretty flat and out of tune though
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    She has a 'pretty' voice, nothing more, but it's quite sad to see her so obviously struggling to sing live. She just isn't suited to it.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Awkward....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    You do know she has learning difficulties
    Forum Member
    You do know she has learning difficulties

I think if a person didn't know they must have been on Mars for the last few years.

Her learning difficulties and the fact she's easily stressed are precisely why she needs protection from the anxieties of live performances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the fuss over this woman. She's only average at the very best. She obviously needs help rather than this sort of exposure. And she's murdered one of my favourite Garland songs! The only other version I've heard that comes close is Chrissie Hynde's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=earthling13;70157699]I've never understood the fuss over this woman. She's only average at the very best. She obviously needs help rather than this sort of exposure. And she's murdered one of my favourite Garland songs! The only other version I've heard that comes close is Chrissie Hynde's.[/QUOTE]

BIB I agree I think it is a shame she really did look like she didn't want to be there.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,381
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if she has also been botoxed, her face seemed frozen.
    We are seeing a different Susan to the cheeky and confident person she was during that famous XFactor audition. Her fame has been a mixed blessing for sure. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Lucycon wrote: »
    I think if a person didn't know they must have been on Mars for the last few years.

Her learning difficulties and the fact she's easily stressed are precisely why she needs protection from the anxieties of live performances.

Indeed, just wondering why theyre asking if shes high or drunk... the case is neither.

I do agree that exposure to this extent is not good for her.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Susan's singing but I always feel so awkward watching her on TV. I feel she's really not upto it. I hope she has a good support system around her, regardless.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the fuss over this woman. She's only average at the very best.

It's the "Don't judge a book by its cover" moral from her Britain's Got Talent audition. That's all.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, the woman clearly can't cope with fame and is being exploited by Cowell. I hope she enjoys the money and ultimately retires soon to lead a happy, private life.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have watched the whole clip, I dont think she is on drugs, alcohol or medication, her voice sounds fine to me its a quietly sung song which she cant belt out. She doesnt look awkward either, Im not getting the fuss you guys are making over this appearance, I think she did a good job
  • Nocturnal MumNocturnal Mum Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was fine, maybe a bit nervous.
    Forum Member
    Have watched the whole clip, I dont think she is on drugs, alcohol or medication, her voice sounds fine to me its a quietly sung song which she cant belt out. She doesnt look awkward either, Im not getting the fuss you guys are making over this appearance, I think she did a good job

It's a quiet song, but she was slurring some of the words. Whether this indicates drink or medication I don't know.

She always tends to look awkward when she's singing. She knows how to sing, but she doesn't know how to emote, which is possibly down to the 'learning difficulties' she has. Compare her to every other singer and her face is pretty much blank and her arms are stiff and immobile.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Shocking

She's usually so erudite and articulate.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She was fine, maybe a bit nervous.

I thought she was slurring her words. She seemed far more than a bit nervous.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She stumbled over words at the beginning and looked terrified throughout. She didn't look as if she was enjoying herself - in fact she seemed as if she wanted to be anywhere else but in that studio! There was no attempt to engage with the audience and the whole thing made for uncomfortable viewing.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't rate SB at all, I never have and I never will. However it is very clear that she is really struggling in that performance - with the words, with the tuning and with the actual presentation of the song. Whatever the true nature of her developmental difficulties, she needs one heck of a lot more support. It is painful to listen to - but far more painful to see someone in such trouble.

Whoever is looking after her needs to step in and rethink things - otherwise an even bigger meltdown is surely only a matter of weeks away.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is standing there like a wind up toy that is running out of steam...

Learning difficulties might have impacted on her as a child but she's an adult now...she has learned to sing, to perform, to be interviewed - so I fail to see why her 'learning difficulties' are used to explain every detail of her behaviour.