Options

The Bletchley Circle Series Two

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    .Janet. wrote: »
    Is it just me, but Julie Graham's character walking with a stick and wearing a dark jacket was a ringer for Herr Flick!

lol :D She was limping with the stick one minute and walking round the flat minus the limp and the stick the next. She was even limping on the other leg in one scene.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the writer's research pays off. He managed to add an Enigma machine to tonight's plot.

I can't see this getting a third series.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does this have a repeat? I missed it tonight - maybe I will have to settle for iPlayer .............
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this have a repeat? I missed it tonight - maybe I will have to settle for iPlayer .............

Or preferably itvPlayer!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    So the writer's research pays off. He managed to add an Enigma machine to tonight's plot.

I can't see this getting a third series.

Sadly, I agree. A stronger bunch of writers are needed and a clear direction given to the show.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite clever to link the Maltese villainess to her time working at a cypher station in Malta during the war and leading.
    Story probably adapted from the Messina Brothers to fit The Bletchley Circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina_Brothers
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although the writing could be stronger, the actresses are so appealing I hope this gets a third series.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Although the writing could be stronger, the actresses are so appealing I hope this gets a third series.

I agree. The stories themselves are a bit rubbishy but the characters and acting are very good. I think it deserves another series but maybe with different writers.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We enjoyed the first series, but last night we decided it just wasn't holding our attention anymore.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,084
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    We enjoyed the first series, but last night we decided it just wasn't holding our attention anymore.

Same here. I had it on series link but I just wasn't bothered about it last night so I didn't record it.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I agree. I liked the first series and the first two parts of this one were fine but these last two just haven't cut the mustard. Anna Maxwell-Martin was sorely missed.

I still like the premise.
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reviewer [somewhere] likened it to Enid Blyton for grown-ups. I agree and wish they'd beef up the writing a bit.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »

Just how I felt. It's run it's course I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I liked the first series and the first two parts of this one were fine but these last two just haven't cut the mustard. Anna Maxwell-Martin was sorely missed.

I still like the premise.

I don't agree about AMM actually. I was suitably impressed by the new girl.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    She was certainly pulling her weight as were all the other main characters. Which sadly, only tore the weak storytelling to shreds all the quicker.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It needs better writers, surely it does not always have to be about Enigma machines, but life after wartime. A female Foyle's war.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it needs better writers - but I do very much like the characters - especially Millie - and would love to see it get a third series and make it all a bit less Enid B-like.

Its rare to get a show that has four women as main characters - let alone four highly intelligent women who used to be code breakers. They could do so much with it if they tried.

Have to admit Nick Blood's character was a sweetie- I say they keep him, bring AMM back and have the five women recruited in some way instead of stumbling upon cases -though it worked well for series one - and give them some far more complicated murders/crimes to solve! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked this show. It works well and is a nice change having smart capable female leads who put themselves in harms way.

Considering the gangs and violent death in the post war years the ladies could find themselves in quite a few dangers situations that do not directly carry us back to enigma machines but that is a key part of the story.

If they bring back a third series they need it to be a longer (Six episodes in three stories) and they need to bring in a female former SOE or OSS agent to provide the other side to their wartime work.

As the code breakers at home faced danger but nothing like SOE on the continent and elsewhere. They could also do with this addition as they need someone who knows how to handle themself in a dangerous situation in a more practical way.
    We only found out years after her death that an aunt of mine had been with SOE during the war and had been captured and tortured. By some miracle while being taken to train heading for a death camp the truck she was in was attacked by the RAF and she escaped. We never saw the scars and it was only while clearing out old family papers we found her war medals and some medical reports that we found out what had happened and how brave she had been. That is certainly another side to the story that still needs to be told.
    A former SOE agent seeing the SS man who tortured her and her comrades living safe in London and she asks the circle to help bring him in. We could have a very moving scene where she has the man at gun point and Millie talks her down from killing him. If you recall in the first story Millie had some rather bad experiences while traveling that she never went into details over so could bring that out to talk her down from blowing the man's head off.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going back to the Bombay/Mumbai issue - we had the subtitles on and they definitely said Bombay. Her pronunciation was a bit ambiguous though I agree.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree that the writing was very sloppy.

Unless I've missed something, the ending was risible.

Customs had been watching the unloading of the cargo. When they opened the crates they were empty and only because of the intervention of the Bletchly gang were the goods and girls found.

How and when were they landed?

Why would Marta do that anyway? In the general scheme of things the first (real) shipment would be just as likely to have been intercepted as the second. And she believed she was safe, anyway, because of her bent copper.

Pure tripe.

Which was a shame, because generally it's been quite a good series.
  • Options
    auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I've just caught up with this as I tend to watch episodes back to back.

I LOVED the first series and was looking forward to this so much but was hugely disappointed. The plots seem disjointed and none of it really them using their code detection skills. I agree with the poster who said its like a weaker Rosemary and Thyme,

If there is a third series, I doubt i will watch it. Shame because as others said this had so much potential.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rachel Stirling confirmed this morning that the show has been axed.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Rachel Stirling confirmed this morning that the show has been axed.

Pity. The characters, cast and setting were great. If they'd just got a decent scriptwriter and made the storylines less complicated and Girls Ownish, it could have been a good series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that is a shame. Whitechapel and now this - ITV really are doing their best to leave me nothing to watch on their channel.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A shame it's been axed but it wasn't really going anywhere.