"Impossible" by James Arthur already #1 on iTunes UK and Ireland

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AMS13 wrote: »
    Why are you putting ownership on people disliking something, assuming that they object to anybody who does not have the same taste as themselves? By the way I never bothered watching the X Factor this year, but occasionally flicked channels and caught bits and bobs.

As James Arthur does not appeal to me, and a few of his offensive tweets have not endeared me wishing to buy into him, but that does not mean I object to others finding his music to their liking. Just we have different tastes

So owing to that, I was asking the question of why is he is successful at the moment, particularly as there has not been much time to market him, the show was not the best and his personality leaves a lot to be desired, or perhaps that is due to his management team not bringing out the best in him.

Somebody had the intelligence to inform me that the singles chart is on a high at the moment. A nice answer and the poster did not need to resort to personal insults to make his point.

As another poster pointed out to you about good music, popular music and being subjective to taste, The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl are a good example of what they tried to explain 25 years ago 'Fairy Tale in New York' missed out on the Xmas number one position to the Pet Shop Boys. This week it becomes the 126th million selling single and I wonder if "'Impossible' by James Arthur will be remembered in 25 years time. It may or it may not, who knows.

First of all the quote you posted was not a reply to you so dont even try and make out that I was insulting you in that quote.

Second thing is im not the one putting ownership on anything, its others who are by claiming their opinion on what is classed a decent music is a fact. Me I understand that what I think about music is my opinon alone and cant be claim it as a fact

As for why James is selling well I already posted on this thread on how it works, but here it is again. People hear the song on the radio, people like the song, people go and buy the song.

As for the marketing I think you will find having your song played a lot on the radio is good marketing, Therefore James does have good marketing as his song is played a lot on Radio one, Capital FM etc Also add music channels to that as well.
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the sales vs decency debate continues :D "Impossible" is still #1 on iTunes, although will.i.am and Britney are closing the gap:

1 James Arthur Impossible 1.0000
    2 will.i.am Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears) 0.9375

Said that, probably Arthur has an advantage regarding physical sales, so he may do a hat trick come Sunday, but nevertheless these will be interesting midweeks!

Both songs have a considerable lead over #3, btw. Sales in week after Christmas are not very strong, so wonder if "Impossible" could make it to the million figure in the next 6 days?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    While the sales vs decency debate continues :D "Impossible" is still #1 on iTunes, although will.i.am and Britney are closing the gap:

1 James Arthur Impossible 1.0000
    2 will.i.am Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears) 0.9375

Said that, probably Arthur has an advantage regarding physical sales, so he may do a hat trick come Sunday, but nevertheless these will be interesting midweeks!

Both songs have a considerable lead over #3, btw. Sales in week after Christmas are not very strong, so wonder if "Impossible" could make it to the million figure in the next 6 days?

Here hoping it will after all the more it sells the better off the charity is.

Anyway time to get really and party so Happy New Years to you all and have fun. :)
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Scream & Shout? More like Scram & Shit coz that's what William and Brittany will be doing when they see King Arthur and his banner men emerging over the rim of popularity bar hill, okaycoolyeahfunurban.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rombod wrote: »
    Scream & Shout? More like Scram & Shit coz that's what William and Brittany will be doing when they see King Arthur and his banner men emerging over the rim of popularity bar hill, okaycoolyeahfunurban.

'King Arthur' might be your best name yet, rombod. It actually makes me want to be a fan so I can use it. :D
  • copterpylonscopterpylons Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I respect other can like it and it is not my cup of tea. However, I am just querying how he has achieved such a high amount of sales. Gosh I am old enough to remember when they rigged the charts, not saying that has happened. Just it would not surprise me or perhaps I just missed the miracle of James Arthur.
    Whether I like your hero or not, there is no denying he won the competition during a rather bad season, he is an acquired taste and does not appear to have the charm and charisma to reach out to the masses.
    [HIGHLIGHT]By the way I never bothered watching the X Factor this year,[/HIGHLIGHT] but occasionally flicked channels and caught bits and bobs.

:D

By the way, you consider yourself awfully authoritative about James and the X Factor for one who "never bothered watching" this year. :D
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More info about how good singles sales currently are in the UK, I think it comes from the OCC:

Singles sales reached an all-time high last week, reaching 5,696,413, surpassing by 4.49% the previous high set exactly a year earlier. The number 200 song this week - Midnight City by M83 - sold 2,634 copies, which would have sufficed for it to be number 23 in the first week of 2005. Showing the strength of the market in depth, a record 535 tracks sold 1,000 copies or more last week, and even the 2000th biggest seller sold 301 copies.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    How many people will listen to James Arthur's version of Impossible in 20 years?
    This week it becomes the 126th million selling single and I wonder if "'Impossible' by James Arthur will be remembered in 25 years time. It may or it may not, who knows.

You can say that about evey winner's single...not just James'.
    By the way, you consider yourself awfully authoritative about James and the X Factor for one who "never bothered watching" this year. :D

Exactly :D
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    You can say that about evey winner's single...not just James'.

Exactly :D

Quite right, as they are normally just rushed out covers designed to make some quick money off the back of the tv show.

I'm certainly not singling James Arthur out here.
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Considering I have only posted on Matt, who was 2010 and James Arthur, (that was owing to his rather immature and impersonal tweets) I cannot be classed as an authority on the X Factor. Apart from Chris Mahoney and Rylan I have no idea who actually appeared on the show. However, thank you for the compliment.

With regards the 'what are they upto now' thread, that has not been related to this year's programme However I have enjoyed watching the videos posted, seeing the acts working hard to build on their dream and finding myself pleasantly surprised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for fun - big sellers but would we come back for more:

1, The Womles Of Wimbledon.
    2. Father Abraham And The Smurfs.
    3. Crazy Frog.
    4. The Tweets - The Birdy Song.
    5. Mr Blobby.
    6. St winnifreds School Choir - There noone quite like Grandad.

And so many more .....

And lest we forget 'Aqua - Barbie Girl' sold millions and 1,800,000 physical copies in the UK alone. Probably more than the entirety of One Direction's UK Singles sales - and bear in mind this was pre I Tunes.
    Forum Member
    Considering I have only posted on Matt, who was 2010 and James Arthur, (that was owing to his rather immature and impersonal tweets) I cannot be classed as an authority on the X Factor. Apart from Chris Mahoney and Rylan I have no idea who actually appeared on the show.

FFS, how on earth then do you know that it was a "rather bad" season?:confused:

Curious that people who don't even watch the show feel compelled to pontificate at length about it on a forum devoted to said show...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Not at all, there is lots of good music I don't like. Eminem for example is decent music, but not really to my taste.

Will One Direction still be on your shuffle in 20 years time?

I still like some of the catchy pop tunes I liked ten years ago so who knows. (I can't say twenty years because I'm 21 and can't remember :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hitnmix wrote: »
    Let me explain it in simple terms
    People hear a song, people like the song, people go and buy the song. Its not really that hard to work out.

Also the song is not only exclusive to people who watched the XF, So many who do not watch the show can also buy the single.

Let me ask you this, Why do you think because you dont like the single then everyone else should also not like the single?

Sorry, but I think this is a rather simplistic view. People can also buy records because:

1. They associate it with a show they like.
    2. It has a hook line they cant get out of their head (it may annoy them but they still buy it).
    3. Monies from the sale go to a good cause, ie. charity.
    4. They want to influence chart position of the record - especially these days with I Tunes where the purchase isn't expensive.
    5. Peer pressure - their friends have it so they dont want to be left out.
    6. It reminds them of a holiday they enjoyed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS, how on earth then do you know that it was a "rather bad" season?:confused:

Curious that people who don't even watch the show feel compelled to pontificate at length about it on a forum devoted to said show...

Easy, viewing figures for one. Then I guess when it hits news programmes (TV, tabloids and even the more serious papers) that X Factor is being flounced by Strictly Come Dancing, despite the advertising revenue, phone lines and Syco millions that are thrown at the programme, well you do not need to be a genius to know that X Factor is in trouble.

By the way, as I said I comment on the Matt threads. I used to watch the programme until 2010 and I am interested in him as an artist and what he is upto. Then of course I answer back when the same old negative comments from the past twenty four months get thrown around.

If Mr Arthur had refrained from his rather offensive tweets, with regards Matt, then I would not have bothered commenting on any of his threads letalone checking the history of where the tweets originated from. That takes me back to 2 December 2012 and JA taking offence at Stephen Mulhern being indifferent to what JA could offer that Matt has not already done.

Anyway, I find the site is handy for character research, which benefits where I am at.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I think this is a rather simplistic view. People can also buy records because:

1. They associate it with a show they like.
    2. It has a hook line they cant get out of their head (it may annoy them but they still buy it).
    3. Monies from the sale go to a good cause, ie. charity.
    4. They want to influence chart position of the record - especially these days with I Tunes where the purchase isn't expensive.
    5. Peer pressure - their friends have it so they dont want to be left out.
    6. It reminds them of a holiday they enjoyed.

Thanks, I did wonder if that was feasible or just me being cynical. I hope they are buying as they genuinely like the record. Have a nice New Year.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,960
    Forum Member
    Maybe we could turn this thread into an overall discussion for future singles and albums like with Little Mix?
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Maybe we could turn this thread into an overall discussion for future singles and albums like with Little Mix?

What is "Little Mix"? Do people pour it into bowls and distribute it at dinner parties? I am not familiar with this term?
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving the patience. :)

Loving the ownage as well. :D

Love it.:D
    Forum Member
    rombod wrote: »
    What is "Little Mix"? Do people pour it into bowls and distribute it at dinner parties? I am not familiar with this term?

They are a girl group ;)

I meant to carry on this thread with discussion about the album, single etc.
    Forum Member
    Easy, viewing figures for one. Then I guess when it hits news programmes (TV, tabloids and even the more serious papers) that X Factor is being flounced by Strictly Come Dancing, despite the advertising revenue, phone lines and Syco millions that are thrown at the programme, well you do not need to be a genius to know that X Factor is in trouble.

Oh, so it's viewing figures that determine quality, is it then? :D

How interesting. Seems that would then apply to record sales as well, wouldn't it?

Meaning that One Direction are how many times exponentially better than say...Matt Cardle? :D

Give it a rest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, so it's viewing figures that determine quality, is it then? :D

How interesting. Seems that would then apply to record sales as well, wouldn't it?

Meaning that One Direction are how many times exponentially better than say...Matt Cardle? :D

Give it a rest.

Perfect example, compare the artists and viewing figures of 2010 and 2012. Both Matt and One Direction were in the 2010season, together with Rebecca, Cher Lloyd, Aiden amongst other very talented performers. I believe X Factor had the highest viewing figures that year?
    Forum Member
    Perfect example, compare the artists and viewing figures of 2010 and 2012. Both Matt and One Direction were in the 2010season, together with Rebecca, Cher Lloyd, Aiden amongst other very talented performers. I believe X Factor had the highest viewing figures that year?

Yes they did indeed.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Just for fun - big sellers but would we come back for more:

1, The Womles Of Wimbledon.
    2. Father Abraham And The Smurfs.
    3. Crazy Frog.
    4. The Tweets - The Birdy Song.
    5. Mr Blobby.
    6. St winnifreds School Choir - There noone quite like Grandad.

And so many more .....

And lest we forget 'Aqua - Barbie Girl' sold millions and 1,800,000 physical copies in the UK alone. Probably more than the entirety of One Direction's UK Singles sales - and bear in mind this was pre I Tunes.

To be fair Mike Batt & The Wombles actually had quite a number of hits in the 70's (think it was 8).
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    According to Wikipedia 5 of their singles went Top 10 (and 4 of them Top 5) in 1973/74, not too shabby :D