Rock overtakes pop in UK album chart

Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
Forum Member
✭✭
From the BBC web page.

Rock overtakes pop in UK album chart

So it would appear that those who pronounced rock "dead" may have been more than a little premature! :D

And with the likes of You Me At Six and Within Temptation doing well in the first two months and several big acts releasing albums this year it looks as though this could be another good year as well!

Comments

• BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock getting popular again, and about time
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quite right too, pop music has been stale for some time now, whereas rock music has been on the rise, underground, in the small live music venues, for a few years now.

I've been trying to encourage people to get out to there local music venue for some time, now. There's far more talent out there than people realize
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course 'Rock' is a broad category and includes Rod Stewart and Mumford and Sons in this case. So I wouldn't get too carried away yet.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock has usually done better in the album charts than the singles charts anyway. Partly because many rock artists don't release singles.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised pop was ahead of rock before in the albums tbh. Pop music doesn't usually do that well with albums considering how big some of the pop stars are.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    quite right too, pop music has been stale for some time now, whereas rock music has been on the rise, underground, in the small live music venues, for a few years now.

I've been trying to encourage people to get out to there local music venue for some time, now. There's far more talent out there than people realize

Damn right!

In other news, Classic Rock Mag still thinks rock is in crisis and the album is dying

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/rock-in-crisis-is-the-album-era-over/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Of course 'Rock' is a broad category and includes Rod Stewart and Mumford and Sons in this case. So I wouldn't get too carried away yet.

Pop is also a very broad genre so it balances out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop is also a very broad genre so it balances out.

But pop is pop and Rod and Mumford ain't rock.

Post-Rock is generally better than modern rock anyway but I'm not sure where Post-Rock appears on the list.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the next rock revolution is being led by Rod Stewart........I admit I'm curious to see what a generation of teenagers rebelling to the sounds of 'Sailing' and 'Do ya think I'm Sexy' looks like.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Post-Rock is generally better than modern rock anyway but I'm not sure where Post-Rock appears on the list.

Agreed. When I saw those names, I was WTF? :confused: They're absolutely not rock, by any definition that I can think of.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Agreed. When I saw those names, I was WTF? :confused: They're absolutely not rock, by any definition that I can think of.

Oh....who cares?

Just listen to what you like to listen to.

Never Mind The Stats, Here's The Rock ' n Roll!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn right!

In other news, Classic Rock Mag still thinks rock is in crisis and the album is dying

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/features/rock-in-crisis-is-the-album-era-over/

Classic Rock do this every year in January, it's a good way of filling the magazine in a traditionally very quiet month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe it is based on the top selling 10,000 albums of the year and use the broad terms of Pop, Rock, Dance, and Urban to compile the list.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    RikScot wrote: »
    Oh....who cares?

Just listen to what you like to listen to.

Never Mind The Stats, Here's The Rock ' n Roll!

Absolutely agree but for the purposes of this discussion, it's somewhat odd that two acts that aren't rock, are being cited as a reason for rock albums outselling pop. If Rod & Mumford are removed from the stats, did Rock still outsell?
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Absolutely agree but for the purposes of this discussion, it's somewhat odd that two acts that aren't rock, are being cited as a reason for rock albums outselling pop. If Rod & Mumford are removed from the stats, did Rock still outsell?

Well if those two are 'rock' then it calls the whole thing into question, i.e whoever compiled these states has not a clue ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the next rock revolution is being led by Rod Stewart........I admit I'm curious to see what a generation of teenagers rebelling to the sounds of 'Sailing' and 'Do ya think I'm Sexy' looks like.

I'd be curious too.
    Rod was great with The Faces and a couple of early solo albums but that's a long time ago.
    I also think it's a long time since rock had anything to do with rebellion…it's nearly pure conformity these days.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn right!

:)

it's true ain't it?! We've been putting a band together while we've been recording an album (an odd way to do it, I'll admit) and I've been staggered by the high standard of people coming forward
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be curious too.
    Rod was great with The Faces and a couple of early solo albums but that's a long time ago.
    I also think it's a long time since rock had anything to do with rebellion…it's nearly pure conformity these days.

You could argue that is true of any genre now. Urban music is a perfect example. It is said to be the current genre of choice for young people but it has become very bland, very safe, and very corporate.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be curious too.

All true, it just amused me that an article proclaiming rock is back is basing this on the fact Rod Steward sold some albums...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue that is true of any genre now. Urban music is a perfect example. It is said to be the current genre of choice for young people but it has become very bland, very safe, and very corporate.

Subversion doesn't seem to have much of an outlet in music. The possibly rebellious bedroom DJ seems to want to do little more than 'mix a few beats!?' I thought access to production level laptop technologies would be such a creative catalyst but it seems not. Disappointing.
    All true, it just amused me that an article proclaiming rock is back is basing this on the fact Rod Steward sold some albums...

Precisely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subversion doesn't seem to have much of an outlet in music. The possibly rebellious bedroom DJ seems to want to do little more than 'mix a few beats!?' I thought access to production level laptop technologies would be such a creative catalyst but it seems not. Disappointing.

Precisely.

But then to me a "bedroom DJ mixing a few beats" isn't a musician. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However the chart company review the sales of @ 10,000 albums, so the fact that Rock music was the most popular won't be solely based on Rod Stewart's sales.

But it is the BBC reporting it, don't forget, so anything outside of manufactured pop they will struggle with and he was probably one of the few Rock artists they had heard of. ;)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Well if those two are 'rock' then it calls the whole thing into question, i.e whoever compiled these states has not a clue ;-)

Marketing people like to categorise everything.

But it's good that we keep on rockin' in the free world,
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn right!

"Classic" rock would be literally dying out as they are all in their 70's now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    "Classic" rock would be literally dying out as they are all in their 70's now.

Classic rock is not just old rockers though. I would put bands like Rival Sons, Blackberry Smoke and The Answer in the classic rock group and they are young guys starting out in their journey.