Options

Upgrading from HTC Desire S

10monty10monty Posts: 126
Forum Member
My phone contract is due for renewal this month and am looking at upgrading my HTC Desire S.

I have been really happy with this phone and if I thought it would last another 2 years I would keep it and reduce my contract monthly cost

However I know it won't and so therefore am looking for ideas for a similiar phone.

The HTC One and Samsung S3/4 obviously stick out but I'm not looking at paying those sorts of prices for the phone or monthly contract.

I currenltly pay around £26 pm on tmobile.
I have looked at the Samsung S3 mini, which has similiar specs to the Desire S.

Is this a phone worth going for or are there better alternatives.

I use it for internet while out and about but only for general browsing, nothing important.
Aside from calls/texts it mainly gets used for playing music
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    10monty wrote: »
    My phone contract is due for renewal this month and am looking at upgrading my HTC Desire S.

I have been really happy with this phone and if I thought it would last another 2 years I would keep it and reduce my contract monthly cost

However I know it won't and so therefore am looking for ideas for a similiar phone.

The HTC One and Samsung S3/4 obviously stick out but I'm not looking at paying those sorts of prices for the phone or monthly contract.

I use it for internet while out and about but only for general browsing, nothing important.
    Thanks
    Moving Desire S to S3 Mini wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Have you considered buying a Sim free phone and then getting a sim only plan? If you got a Nexus 4 then it's £290 including delivery and then if you went with a plan that was only £10/m then it'll 22 quid per month over two years.
    The S3 has now dropped to about £330 and it's still a very good phone so that could be a suitable alternative.
  • Options
    RushRush Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    10monty wrote: »

Thanks

My advice would be just to shop around..
    Take a look here
    http://www.buymobilephones.net/mobile-phones/htc/htc-one-x-plus

The HTC One X+ would be a great upgrade from the Desire S and is great for music lovers. Great monthly prices aswell.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stay with HTC. I moved from HTC Desire S to Samsung GS3 and it's annoying in so many small ways!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have two colleagues who went from HTC to Samsung in the last year and neither have had a lot to complain that was specifically Samsung only.
    The best thing to do is go into a phone shop and have a play, then find the best deals online. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the comments. The HTC One X Plus actually looks a very good phone so will look into that one more
    Moving Desire S to S3 Mini wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Have you considered buying a Sim free phone and then getting a sim only plan? If you got a Nexus 4 then it's £290 including delivery and then if you went with a plan that was only £10/m then it'll 22 quid per month over two years.
    The S3 has now dropped to about £330 and it's still a very good phone so that could be a suitable alternative.

I had never looked at it like that before so definitely something worth looking into. Is there a site/company you would particularly recommend for buying a sim free phone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amazon are pretty competitive but I offer my services for free to find you a good deal! :P

Gimme a budget and I'll show you the way. The One X+ is old hat, the Tegra3 chipset may have been overclocked but it's still a year and half old now which in mobile tech world is an entire generation.
    The chipset in the Nexus 4 simply blows it away.

There are also some awesome WP8 phones that have dropped to below £250.

http://www.expansys.com/htc-windows-phone-8x-black-237436/
    http://www.expansys.com/samsung-ativ-s-16gb-grey-249196/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're a gent (lady!!)

I'm currently paying approx £27 p/m over 2 years so £650 effectively.
    If I could stay somewhere near that over the same period would be good.

I should say now that I'm not the sort of person who needs to have the latest phone that sings and dances across my kitchen table, as I said previously I use it predominantly as a phone (shock, horror) and a music players.
    It needs to be able to take a 32gb card (or have enough internal gb)

I'm not sure how realistic the budget is tbh and I'd ideally like to stick to the Android system.

As for plans, I currently get 300 mins and 300 texts which is enough, plus unlimited internet.

Thanks a lot