EE The writing for Sharon is delibarate

2»

Comments

• Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did she criticise the writers?

Anyone got a source or link? She has always been professional about the show to my knowledge - and rightly so considering it's given her regular plots and income.

I've seen loads of people speculate on here that stuff has gone on behind the scenes but that's just unfounded forum gossip.

Agree. As soon as you question the source of information they ignore you and pretend they can't see the post.

They like to think someone such as Letitia Dean is fuming backstage and giving the producers a piece of her mind. That she's as upset as they are.

When the reality, although she'd be well in her right to be disappointed with the writing, is that she probably goes into work enjoys working with the people, banks her cheque and happily goes home with the money.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She criticised the precious writers. Barbara Windsor is lucky she's a national institution or else Peggy would die off screen due to Barbara tearing her script up.

Yeah but Sharon Watts is a much bigger character than Peggy Mitchell, so surely it would make more sense to sacrifice Peggy for Sharon?

As for OP: Great post, completely agree. Writing isn't great anyway but it is definitely to do with her characterisation and i can see a story coming up involving Denny's misdeeds that would break Sharon's heart. Plus she is raising Denny the same way Den and Angie raised her (as a spoiled brat) so it shows continuity; its learned behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    And I wouldn't really call her iconic. She's a great character but is only really known by soap fans. No one outside of soap fans would really know her. I think realistically, the only iconic EE characters are Dot, Pat, Peggy, Den and Angie.

Disagree, she is pretty well known, particularly for Sharongate and being Den and Angie's spoiled brat of a daughter. She received so much focus during that story and she really came into her own then. Sharon is very well known (hence the Miss Piggy comments) and an impressionist recently did one of her on Britain's Got Talent (she only did impressions of people/characters of whom people were familiar with).

Add to that list Ian, Pauline, Mitchell brothers and Kalfie
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon may be a more iconic character to some of us (and more deserving of such a title in my opinion) but Peggy is more iconic to the general public due to being played by Barbara Windsor and having all those catchphrases. People are shallow like that.

As for Letitia criticising Sharon's direction, she made the comments in an interview with Inside Soap magazine. Many people read the issue and have confirmed it. There was a thread a few weeks ago where this was argued back and forth. Please feel free to do the same once again but don't expect me to jump into it a second time.
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day another Sharon thread with words like "icon" and "disgrace" being bandied as if it or she matters. She hasn't worked – get rid. Simples. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon may be a more iconic character to some of us (and more deserving of such a title in my opinion) but Peggy is more iconic to the general public due to being played by Barbara Windsor and having all those catchphrases. People are shallow like that.

As for Letitia criticising Sharon's direction, she made the comments in an interview with Inside Soap magazine. Many people read the issue and have confirmed it. There was a thread a few weeks ago where this was argued back and forth. Please feel free to do the same once again but don't expect me to jump into it a second time.

I remember that thread and I do remember the DS article that implied her unhappiness- which is very out of character for LD so it must be serious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    Another day another Sharon thread with words like "icon" and "disgrace" being bandied as if it or she matters. She hasn't worked – get rid. Simples. :)

Its not that she hasn't worked, its more that she is in the process of working. As pointed out above, its deliberate writing as its giving Sharon a new direction
  • Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Its not that she hasn't worked, its more that she is in the process of working. As pointed out above, its deliberate writing as its giving Sharon a new direction

Maybe... time will tell. However nothing Dean has done since her return has touched the emotion of Jessie Wallace's Kat when Alfie put his arm around her tonight. There just isnt the depth of characterisation there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that Sharon and Ronnie become friends eventually... Afterall they do have similarities:

Their fathers were both murdered in the Queen Vic
    They both have been with Jack Branning

It would make great TV is there was a two-hander with Ronnie and Sharon. Sharon tells Ronnie her ex-husband and father were both murdered. Ronnie asks her what happened and Sharon says Dennis died outside of the pub and Den was killed inside and buried in the cellar. Ronnie then tells her that Archie was murdered in the Vic too... I hope this is remembered as it would be a huge miss if the writers overlooked this! (NOTE EE). Would be nice for them to rekindle this odd 'feud' with each other and become friends. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe... time will tell. However nothing Dean has done since her return has touched the emotion of Jessie Wallace's Kat when Alfie put his arm around her tonight. There just isnt the depth of characterisation there.

A few holes do have to be filled, they should explain some of her characterisation which they probably will do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am confident that Sharon will be around for the 30th anniversary of EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She criticised the precious writers. Barbara Windsor is lucky she's a national institution or else Peggy would die off screen due to Barbara tearing her script up.

You didn't take the "tear script up" literally did you? :rolleyes:

It's a figure of speech, it just means she can improvise more because she's so familiar with the character, add things in, change a line around. As actors it's their job to contribute in some ways to the creation of characters, they're not going to be told off for it.

Adam Woodyatt sometimes says he changes some of Ian's lines.

It makes sense when you have relatively new writers writing for a character the actor has played for nearly 30 years, the actor will understand the character more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

It's a figure of speech, it just means she can improvise more because she's so familiar with the character, add things in, change a line around. As actors it's their job to contribute in some ways to the creation of characters, they're not going to be told off for it.

It makes sense when you have relatively new writers writing for a character the actor has played for nearly 30 years, the actor will understand the character more.

No need to roll your eyes. I wasn't under the impression she literally tore her script up. My point is she wasn't happy with the material so changed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to roll your eyes. I wasn't under the impression she literally tore her script up. My point is she wasn't happy with the material so changed it.

Nothing suggested she wasn't happy with it. Perry Fenwick just mentioned she likes to add her own spin to things, a line here and there, or some other element. Part of an actor's job along with the director.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing suggested she wasn't happy with it. Perry Fenwick just mentioned she likes to add her own spin to things, a line here and there, or some other element. Part of an actor's job along with the director.
    Perry Fenwick - who plays Billy Mitchell - said that he is delighted to be sharing scenes with Windsor again.

He said: "She immediately tore up the script she was given and me and her improvised and she went, 'You're alright with that 'int you darlin'?'

Everything here suggests she wasn't happy with the script.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything here suggests she wasn't happy with the script.

She improvised in her scenes, not uncommon. As I said when they've been playing characters so long, its natural.

Adam Woodyatt says he does it, doesnt automatically reflect on the writing.

Mountain out of a molehill.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. As soon as you question the source of information they ignore you and pretend they can't see the post.

They like to think someone such as Letitia Dean is fuming backstage and giving the producers a piece of her mind. That she's as upset as they are.

When the reality, although she'd be well in her right to be disappointed with the writing, is that she probably goes into work enjoys working with the people, banks her cheque and happily goes home with the money.
    Exactly. She is probably more interested in her paycheck than anything else.

I agree with you Auntie Soap. I don't think she's an icon in the way Barbara Windsor / Peggy is. As for saying her storylines are a "disgrace" I think posters need to realise things have moved on. It's true that she hasn't worked and it's time for her to be got rid of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She improvised in her scenes, not uncommon. As I said when they've been playing characters so long, its natural.

Adam Woodyatt says he does it, doesnt automatically reflect on the writing.

Mountain out of a molehill.

She didn't just improvise her lines. She asked Perry to improvise his too. That's got to be a sizeable chunk of the writing she wasn't happy with.

I think we can both accept the tearing up of the script is hyperbole but the fact remains they changed, in part, the script they were given. Where's the mountain?
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I hope that Sharon and Ronnie become friends eventually... Afterall they do have similarities:

Their fathers were both murdered in the Queen Vic
    They both have been with Jack Branning

It would make great TV is there was a two-hander with Ronnie and Sharon. Sharon tells Ronnie her ex-husband and father were both murdered. Ronnie asks her what happened and Sharon says Dennis died outside of the pub and Den was killed inside and buried in the cellar. Ronnie then tells her that Archie was murdered in the Vic too... I hope this is remembered as it would be a huge miss if the writers overlooked this! (NOTE EE). Would be nice for them to rekindle this odd 'feud' with each other and become friends. :)
    Yeah, they'd make good friends once Sharon recovers
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member

Not necessarily. The writers are the professionals after all. Any new writer could write older characters very well if they study the character
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I think half the problem is the fan's expectations. They expected her to sail into the square, rich and successful, to be a wonderful mother and to immediately take over the Vic. To bring her back as a broken, penniless drug addict was rather brave. Only time will tell if it was too ambitious.

I actually liked the sound of the story - on paper.

On screen, it was awful. Absolutely awful.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. The writers are the professionals after all. Any new writer could write older characters very well if they study the character

It's a shame none of them appear to be working on Eastenders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, they could. But judging by the last 2-3 years none of the writers working on the show are studying the characters.

Either way, the actors would know far more than the writer's given they've played the character for decades.