Options

Bruce Forsyth reveals Knighthood Disappointment To Piers Morgan

Comments

• Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idiotgirle wrote: »
    It's a bit embarrassing... for Brucie, that is! His sense of entitlement is absurd. Congratulations on getting old and staying famous. Have a knighthood!

I've never understood the desperate clamour some people have to get titles. All this obsequious toadying and sucking up to "royalty" is cringeworthy. Having a "sir" or "dame" in front of your name doesn't make you better than the little people, Brucie.

Shoulda been a footballer, eh? They give semi-literate, serial shaggers titles for kicking around a ball. Kind of takes the gloss of all that bowing and scraping when any old d-lister gets a CBE!

Sounds like sour grapes here. I don't begrudge people who have distinguished themselves an honour. It doesn't cost the country anything, but we can show society's appreciation of success and good work.
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Sounds like sour grapes here. I don't begrudge people who have distinguished themselves an honour. It doesn't cost the country anything, but we can show society's appreciation of success and good work.
    Naah. I'm just fortunate that I live in a country where we don't have to bow and and show deference to an unelected ruler and I can't understand the mindset of those who do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Mar 9 2010 ---Daily Record

TV LEGEND Bruce Forsyth has spoken about his disappointment at not being knighted after 71 years in showbiz.

Brucie, 82, opened up to Piers Morgan in a searingly honest interview about life in the spotlight, his three wives, and six children.

The Strictly Come Dancing star - awarded a CBE to add to his OBE in 2006 - told Morgan's Life Stories: "I am happy with my CBE, although a knighthood would be nice for the family."

He added: "The greats of British light entertainment, like the Eric Morecambes and Tommy Coopers, are rarely recognised and that's a shame."
    Pierre says-:
    How utterly arrogant of him.
    It's an honour not an entitlement. :mad:

I think he deserves an OBE.

And having spent an evening in his company he is not at all arrogant. He's a lovely guy and a true gent (and his wife is stunning too)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    perhaps, behind the scenes, he is a thoroughly unpleasant chap?
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I don't think the nation is quite ready to greet 'Lady Beckham' back to these shores. :eek:

She doesn't live here either..:D
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And having spent an evening in his company he is not at all arrogant. He's a lovely guy and a true gent (and his wife is stunning too)
    He already has a CBE, which is a higher honour than an OBE.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, Woopy Doooo!:D
    He is a nice guy with a good-looking wife.
    It's a mystery he hasn't been called to the House of Lords then .:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    He's probably blown it now...

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    It's a bit embarrassing... for Brucie, that is! His sense of entitlement is absurd. Congratulations on getting old and staying famous. Have a knighthood!

I've never understood the desperate clamour some people have to get titles. All this obsequious toadying and sucking up to "royalty" is cringeworthy. Having a "sir" or "dame" in front of your name doesn't make you better than the little people, Brucie.

Shoulda been a footballer, eh? They give semi-literate, serial shaggers titles for kicking around a ball. Kind of takes the gloss of all that bowing and scraping when any old d-lister gets a CBE!

Again I'm with you..
  • Options
    Forum Member

He's not a nice guy at all!

I've also had the misfortune of being in his company and thoroughly unpleasant is how I'd put it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    When I 1st read this..I thought it meant that Bruce had lost out on a Knighthood to Piers Morgan...I was about to kick of lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of you are being unnecessarily harsh here. Its not a popularity contest of course, but these awards do still have to mean something to us, and the world at large.
    Some people do like Bruce, some don't - shock news!
    But think how many of these titles are awarded every year to faceless, nameless civil servants and back-benchers that have no real merit to the likes of you and me. They simply don't touch our lives in the same way.
    There have been many examples of people that have given their careers to us, the public, and not been publically rewarded for it. Sure, they get paid for it but I work for Tesco and I understand that a wage is just a wage..!
    Sometimes its nice to be given a nod from your peers. It would be a shame if Bruce died without receiving that nod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HamsterJam wrote: »
    I think a lot of you are being unnecessarily harsh here. Its not a popularity contest of course, but these awards do still have to mean something to us, and the world at large.
    Some people do like Bruce, some don't - shock news!
    But think how many of these titles are awarded every year to faceless, nameless civil servants and back-benchers that have no real merit to the likes of you and me. They simply don't touch our lives in the same way.
    There have been many examples of people that have given their careers to us, the public, and not been publically rewarded for it. Sure, they get paid for it but I work for Tesco and I understand that a wage is just a wage..!
    Sometimes its nice to be given a nod from your peers. It would be a shame if Bruce died without receiving that nod.

I see your points, but it is meant to be an honour, not something you feel you are entitled to.
    Before this, i would have been happy to have seen Bruce knighted.. Now, I am not so sure.
    It is arrogant to even mention a possible knighthood (unless asked specifically I guess), but to then hide it behind 'it would be nice for the family' is real arrogance - as if no-one can read between those lines.

There are other people I would much sooner see getting a knighthood, some of whom have been mentioned here, some not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When I 1st read this..I thought it meant that Bruce had lost out on a Knighthood to Piers Morgan...I was about to kick of lol

LOL! Can you imagine! I think the entire nation would kick off if Piers got a blue peter badge let alone a knighthood!
  • Options
    Forum Member

No need to be so sarcastic. I was just giving my opinion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    He's not a nice guy at all!

I've also had the misfortune of being in his company and thoroughly unpleasant is how I'd put it.

He was to me. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't positive
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    LOL! Can you imagine! I think the entire nation would kick off if Piers got a blue peter badge let alone a knighthood!

just have to say..my prized possesion is my Blue Peter Badge!! 1997.."Wild Night Out" a camping trip on dartmoor...with Richard bacon!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like him or not, Brucie has worked extremely hard and consistently in the entertainment business and, having seen his one-man show a few years ago, he gives 100%. I've heard mixed reports of what he is like as a human being but there are far nastier characters who've been awarded knighthoods. Also, if he was such an unpleasant character, how come he remains on really good terms with his two ex-wives, so much so that they all enjoy big family gatherings? I remember, in an interview, that he gave much of the credit to his current wife (of well over 20 years, now!), Winnie, for helping make this work so harmoniously, too. Surely someone in his(long, lol!) past would have spoken out by now if he was a real bar-steward. I might have missed it, admittedly, but I've never read or seen anything deeply unpleasant about him.
    He deserves a knighthood and has done for some time....would be nice to have one; to have one, nice! :p
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they have disqualified him for the rug.
    Then again, Elton John got in :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

Elton is a royal arse licker though.
    He is no more deserving than a lot of other musicians who have done tons for charity - but he is the only one who actively licks their arses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do not subscribe to the thought that someone deserves one 'because such and such has one and he is not as good' or whatever.

People should be awarded the highest honour available to them for more than just doing their jobs, apart from those in the rescue services or police, who sometimes have to do the most horrendous tasks as part of their jobs (for example).

Take Brucie as an example...
    Should he get the Knighthood for being an entertainer for 70 years?
    IMHO, no, he shouldn't.
    Has he done lots of charity work? Raised lots of money and awareness for causes? Inspired others to follow suit and give time and money to good causes?
    Has he done something internationally which has raised the profile of Britain, and even helped to contribute to our coffers as a result?
    I don't know the answer to those, but if the answer is yes, then he is much more deserving.

Has he said he feels he maybe should be Knighted? Well kind of, and that counts against him IMHO.

Those are the questions which should be asked of anyone before they are Knighted.
    Not 'how long has he been singing and dancing?' etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    BigBHM wrote: »
    I see your points, but it is meant to be an honour, not something you feel you are entitled to.
    Before this, i would have been happy to have seen Bruce knighted.. Now, I am not so sure.
    It is arrogant to even mention a possible knighthood (unless asked specifically I guess), but to then hide it behind 'it would be nice for the family' is real arrogance - as if no-one can read between those lines.

There are other people I would much sooner see getting a knighthood, some of whom have been mentioned here, some not.

Yeah I understand, but I still feel that if I was to dedicate 85% of my life (not only just working life) to one profession then it would be really appreciated to have more than a carriage clock and a 'golden handshake' at the end of it.
    I'm not saying that Bruce is entitled, arrogant or otherwise. Just saying that he reads the press like everyone else and he must have drawn his own conclusions over the years as to why he is repeatedly passed over. I think I'd feel a bit jaded too...
    If he ever does get one, it won't mean (now) what it would've meant 10 years ago because of all the positive & negative press coverage.
    I actually don't find him arrogant if truth be told. I find it a shame that he didn't get a well-deserved award (like so many others) before it was all turned into a media story and spoiled any chance of him being either rewarded or honoured.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As did Terry Wogan. :eek::D
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naah. I'm just fortunate that I live in a country where we don't have to bow and and show deference to an unelected ruler and I can't understand the mindset of those who do.

We are not talking about bowing and showing deference. That's not what the honours system is about. It is about recognising achievements. That is quite a different thing.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised Brucie hasn't been given a knighthood.

However, I'm not that won over by the "it would be nice for the family" statement... Er, no, it would be nice for you.

Another guy who I'm surprised hasn't been given one is Des O' Connor.