Dragons Den and Out

2»

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303097/Dragons-Den-winner-reveals-80k-promise-fact-loan--26-500-emerged.html

Interesting article on the lady who did the magnamole and how life isn't always perfect post-den.

Seems to come across as James being a bit of a ruthless business person but I wonder if she was perhaps a little naive really. For example, expecting a website for free from James and the fact she was taking £50,000 salary at a time when the company was struggling financially.

Also not having any legal advice when signing a contract. Just sounds like she placed too much faith in the whole thing and didn't protect herself. Of course I could never do what she did and I wish her every success.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethereal wrote: »
    I'm one of the few who like Deborah and I think she adds a lot to the panel. James could go and he wouldn't be missed much as he doesn't make much of an impact IMO.

I don't dislike her as such , just dislike the way she revels in belittling people when a lot of the time it is simply because they haven't understood the question and rather than nudging them in right direction she always just goes off on one embarassing them
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems there may be big changes ahead for Dragon's Den

TV Dragons face slaying
    News Of The World
    By Dan Wootton, Showbiz Editor, 15/08/2010

The BBC is secretly plotting a shake-up of the hit show that could signal the Dragons' End for James Caan, Theo Paphitis and Deborah Meaden.

But Peter Jones and Duncan Bannatyne - the most wealthy dragons - are likely to be safe.

Bosses of the BBC2 series are in the process of recruiting a number of new dragons to judge next year.

A telly insider told us: "The producers are planning a big overhaul of the show.

"They're approaching a lot of new businessmen and women - they'd like some younger millionaires and more women on the panel too."

Internet entrepreneur James Simpson - the boyfriend of model Sophie Anderton - is one of the big business names approached to join the show.

The 28-year-old tycoon was recently named among the 50 richest young people in Britain by the Sunday Times Rich List.

Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

The show, currently in its seventh season, sees entrepreneurs pitch business ideas to the panel who decide if they want to invest.

Last night a spokesman for the BBC said: "It is far too early to talk about the next series and any comment on who the Dragons may be is nothing more than pure speculation."
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Pierre says-:
    I do hope that the rather sour and sneering Deborah is gone and smug Theo also goes :cool:

They had all that and more in Richard Farleigh and they dumped him. Star of the show who was charming, smiling and polite to the contenders and showed the others up. (Put previous young(ish) glamour boy Peter Jones in the shade and his nose out of joint. :D) Terrible decision.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't believe for s second that they'll ditch Theo. He's good value and his ability to destroy tat is priceless. James, unfortunately, has to be on the way out: the fact that he refuses to talk to Duncan anymore makes his position untenable. Deborah? Sorry, but inheriting the family business and selling it on doesn't make you a super-successful businesswoman.
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Don't believe for s second that they'll ditch Theo. He's good value and his ability to destroy tat is priceless. James, unfortunately, has to be on the way out: the fact that he refuses to talk to Duncan anymore makes his position untenable. Deborah? Sorry, but inheriting the family business and selling it on doesn't make you a super-successful businesswoman.
    I agree - James and Deborah should be the prime candidates for ditching. Theo is great, and would definitely be missed. I'd actually rather see Peter Jones go than Theo.

I guess Deborah and James both fulfil PC requirements to some extent though, so I wonder if they might be quite limited in who they can replace them with. :o Another white male on the panel would be bound to be fairly controversial...

What's with the whole Duncan / James thing anyway? :confused: Is their argument over an investment?
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eejit wrote: »
    What's with the whole Duncan / James thing anyway? :confused: Is their argument over an investment?

James and Duncan fell out after Duncan wrote a blog article about the unfairness of the 'resident non-domiciled' rules on UK taxation. James has resident non-domiciled status, as Duncan mentioned in the article. Despite the fact that his article described James as 'a friend', and made it clear that he didn't blame James for taking advantage of the tax rules, James played the race card and thereafter refused to shake Duncan's hand when they next met. James still refuses to speak to Duncan.
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    James and Duncan fell out after Duncan wrote a blog article about the unfairness of the 'resident non-domiciled' rules on UK taxation. James has resident non-domiciled status, as Duncan mentioned in the article. Despite the fact that his article described James as 'a friend', and made it clear that he didn't blame James for taking advantage of the tax rules, James played the race card and thereafter refused to shake Duncan's hand when they next met. James still refuses to speak to Duncan.
    Credit to Duncan then.

That just makes me even more convinced that James should be on the way out...
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    "Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

FFS what the hell has glamour got to do with this programme? Dragon's Den is one of the few programmes I actually watch and enjoy - If they ruin it I will not be happy :mad:

Glamour? They've got Deborah Meaden. What more glamour do they want?:D
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    "Our source said: "He's exactly the sort of dragon they want. He's young, self-made and would bring glamour to the panel."

FFS what the hell has glamour got to do with this programme? Dragon's Den is one of the few programmes I actually watch and enjoy - If they ruin it I will not be happy :mad:
    I'm afraid it's the way many TV execs think these days, ie give 'em yoof and glamour or dumb down a proramme when it's already doing well and doesn't need tinkering with. There's not much hope for the future of TV with so many dumb@ss executives in charge of programme making.
  • rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theo has too stay

james and deb = goodbye
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rated_2000 wrote: »
    james and deb = goodbye

They're out!
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,705
    Forum Member
    Before the get rid of James which should have happened 3 series ago, please get rid of that jazzed up theme tune.

I would like Deborah and Theo to stay. Replace James with Kevin O'Leary omg that would give the show some talking points. He is on the Canadian and US panel and always gives some talking points as he rips off the pitchers.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Duncan say that he wouldn't do a deal with another Dragon who is a non dom? That would mean that he wouldn't do one with Theo either who also is a non dom.
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,705
    Forum Member
    Didn't Duncan say that he wouldn't do a deal with another Dragon who is a non dom? That would mean that he wouldn't do one with Theo either who also is a non dom.

Non dom?

So i guess Dom from Dick and Dom and Dom Jolly will be joining the panel then :D
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    James and Deborah would be welcome to go - but I'd be sorry to see Theo leave. He seems as if he'd be, by far, the easiest Dragon to work with.

Exactly. He and Duncan and Peter are the most prolific ones- although I'm not sure about introducing 'glamorous' millionaires. Way to rub in their wealth on the public! "I'm pretty AND rich!"
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if they wanted rid of James...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11605927
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I could see JAmes leaving after this years show would be sorry to see any of the other go though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    James to go he was rude about Duncan and he has been filmed trying to buy a baby off the street. Money can't buy you everything James Caan.