Options

If the UK left the EU which other countries would follow?

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Countries like Ireland and Denmark are dependent on the UK for their survival and only joined because the UK did.

Pulling out of the EU would probably mean these two would have to leave as well.

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Countries like Ireland ... are dependent on the UK ...

Is that why George Osborne used several billions of British taxpayers money to bail out the the Irish government, back in November 2010 ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11807769
  • Options
    timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see it collapsing seveal countries could leave and follow the UK e.g. holland others may be forced out e.g. greece/italy.

Watch the dominoes fall
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Countries like Ireland and Denmark are dependent on the UK for their survival and only joined because the UK did.

Pulling out of the EU would probably mean these two would have to leave as well.

Any others?

Holland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Holland

San Marino could be a touch and go case.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think the UK will vote to stay in the EU (there will be a referendum) but if it doesn't, I can't really see others following because the UK has left. If I had to pick one country who I think is well down the road of considering its EU future, I'd go for Sweden.

If the UK left, the whole structure of the EU would have to be revised. Those with issues might well use the opportunity to correct things that they see as fundamentally wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see it collapsing seveal countries could leave and follow the UK e.g. holland others may be forced out e.g. greece/italy.

Watch the dominoes fall

Any evidence? Of course not.

The EU's single market, which even if the UK left we'd still be a part of, is the reason why all of these countries will want to remain in the EU. The EU's institutions govern the single market and short of idiotic populist scaremongering forcing a government's hand there's no reason to give that influence up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holland

In papal circles, there are rumours that the Vatican City are having second thoughts....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    Any evidence? Of course not.

The EU's single market, which even if the UK left we'd still be a part of, is the reason why all of these countries will want to remain in the EU. The EU's institutions govern the single market and short of idiotic populist scaremongering forcing a government's hand there's no reason to give that influence up.

What influence?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    San Marino could be a touch and go case.

San Marino isn't in the EU to start with.
    Is that why George Osborne used several billions of British taxpayers money to bail out the the Irish government, back in November 2010 ?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11807769

The loan to Ireland had nothing to do to with the EU and was done on a bilateral basis to our closest neighbour (the only one we share a land border with) and one of our biggest trading partners. If the Irish economy had crashed it would have had a devastating knock on affect on the UK and especially Northern Ireland. We couldn't afford to let that happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

It's surrounded by Italy. There could be a domino effect which another poster referred to further up this thread.

I wonder if Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia will have talks about quitting en masse ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Irish economy had crashed it would have had a devastating knock on affect on the UK and especially Northern Ireland. We couldn't afford to let that happen.

Makes you wonder why Angela Merkel dipped into German taxpayers pockets, too, to bail out Greece et al.

Perhaps she's motivated by the same concerns as Mr Osborne when he dipped into British taxpayers pockets to bail out the Irish government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes you wonder why Angela Merkel dipped into German taxpayers pockets, too, to bail out Greece et al.

Perhaps she's motivated by the same concerns as Mr Osborne when he dipped into British taxpayers pockets to bail out the Irish government.

Two entirely different reasons and motives
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What influence?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, but that question doesn't really make much sense in this context. What I said above is that the EU's institutions are where the single market is governed so every EU state wants to have a place at the table. Saying "what influence?" implies that somehow every state lacks influence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two entirely different reasons and motives

Same concerns about the alternative options. And same result: keeping an economy afloat using other people's money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, but that question doesn't really make much sense in this context. What I said above is that the EU's institutions are where the single market is governed so every EU state wants to have a place at the table. Saying "what influence?" implies that somehow every state lacks influence.

The only state that has real influence is Germany, our influence involves standing on the sidelines throwing stones and saying 'we don't particularly want to do that' and the occasional veto.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only those who are net contributors as the exit of the UK could leave a large hole in the EU's finances to fill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only state that has real influence is Germany, our influence involves standing on the sidelines throwing stones and saying 'we don't particularly want to do that' and the occasional veto.

There's a massive difference between Germany being the most dominant country in European Council negotiations and what happens in the legislative process. If you look at the actual evidence on who gets their way most often in legislative negotiations there's no evidence for the theory of German dominance.
    There is absolutely no sign of French or German dominance. In fact, their bargaining success is far below average... many of the smaller states including Finland, Sweden, Luxembourg, Denmark, Ireland and Austria enjoy significantly more bargaining success than either France or Germany or Italy. Even in the fields where one might have expected them to excel — France in agricultural policy, Germany in internal market policies — neither beat the smaller states. Of the large states, only the UK’s bargaining success matched these much smaller overachievers.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2013/01/08/countries-which-have-most-success-in-council-negotiations/

Of course few people actually bother to read the studies on the subject and are content to trumpet received wisdom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course few people actually bother to read the studies on the subject and are content to trumpet received wisdom.

would that 'wisdom' be received from the Daily Express and Daily Mail ?

You can understand why governing UK politicians do not want to allow UK voters a choice in the matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would that 'wisdom' be received from the Daily Express and Daily Mail ?

You can understand why governing UK politicians do not want to allow UK voters a choice in the matter.

That all sounds very condescending(and left wing), would you also like to restrict voting in general elections to the owners of such 'wisdom' as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That all sounds very condescending(and left wing),

Condescending ? Probably.
    Left wing ? Possibly, but not necessarily.
    would you also like to restrict voting in general elections to the owners of such 'wisdom' as well?

It has crossed my mind. I realise it would not go down well.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condescending ? Probably.
    Left wing ? Possibly, but not necessarily.

It has crossed my mind. I realise it would not go down well.

Not a fan of univeral suffrage then?
    Late 19th Century aristocrats weren't terribly keen either.
    When you think of the efforts by the women suffragettes, the Labour movement and not least the Liberals, it would be a pity to turn the clock back.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The loan to Ireland had nothing to do to with the EU and was done on a bilateral basis to our closest neighbour (the only one we share a land border with) and one of our biggest trading partners. If the Irish economy had crashed it would have had a devastating knock on affect on the UK and especially Northern Ireland. We couldn't afford to let that happen.

BIB, but we don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of univeral suffrage then?

Not really.
    Late 19th Century aristocrats weren't terribly keen either.

In the past, sufferage was based on wealth and property.
    Restricting sufferage to the journals one reads* and level of education has crossed my mind.

* and not the Guardian either. I mean a proper newspaper like Financial Times.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holland
    Holland isn't a Country. It is a region of The Netherlands.:p
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Europe is frightened of Germany seventy years later and they are back to being bullies - as if they ever stopped. Or as a Swiss friend of mine said, the Germans are just selfish.