Thought people would be saying sorry to Peter Barlow.

hachimanhachiman Posts: 362
Forum Member
But no, people like Rita and Steph still blame him for Tina's death. What's up with that? 0_o

Comments

• dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are all judging him over the affair, like they are all innocent
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I agree hachiman. The affair did not lead to her death, the stolen electronics did. :D
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit miffed when Steph gave that monologue to Peter. I thought she was going to pat him on the back. But then as my mum said, had Peter and Tina not had that affair Tina would still be alive today.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did any of them give false evidence against him ?
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    They are all judging him over the affair, like they are all innocent

The correlation between the affair and Tina's killing is another example of Corrie trivialising murder. Rob killing Tina was a million times worse than Peter having an affair with her.

You would still expect people to have sympathy for Peter. Being jailed for a murder he didn't commit would be a deeply traumatic event in his life.
  • misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are behaving as though infidelity is unheard of! Talk about people in glass houses. Peter was very unlucky the way his affair ended but he's not the first or last to cheat!
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like all emotional cripples - and by God, doesn't this country pander to them, these days - Peter is wholly responsible for the chain of events that led to the murder. Oh, doubtless the liberals will go "Boo-hoo" and claim his alcoholism is an illness he can't control. Well, b*llocks to that. Like all alcoholics - and my father was one - he is a weak-willed, self-indulgent fool who can't keep it in his pants and then can't face up to his responsibilities.

I know Peter is a fictional character, but there are thousands of Peters in real life. And the sooner we stop making excuses for them, the better. I cheered when he wasn't welcomed back onto the Street with open arms.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they remember that he is not only an adulterer, but a bigamist. And wasn't he unfaithful to Leanne, as well? He's a car crash as far as women are concerned and should come with a health warning.

While he wasn't directly responsible for Tina's murder, he certainly played a role in the events that led to it.
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Perhaps they remember that he is not only an adulterer, but a bigamist. And wasn't he unfaithful to Leanne, as well? He's a car crash as far as women are concerned and should come with a health warning.

While he wasn't directly responsible for Tina's murder, he certainly played a role in the events that led to it.

Because prozzie Leanne is completely innocent.

Yes, because Tina didn't have a part to play in her demise. Gobbing off to Rob (like she has done with many others before) and threatening him because she didn't get her own way. Of course all glossed over and Tina is treated like a Saint by all. Most of the time she barely treated Steph with respect.

Not defending Peter, but he was meant to assume that months after the affair began Rob would smash her head in over stolen goods. And the street didn't seem too worried about Rob being a killer, apart from a couple of small references and he had been manipulating for months to cover his tracks.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is Steph and Michelle were sitting in court while his court was going on..

To be jailed for something he didn't do is awful. If I was Peter I'd be railing about the court system and Rob for putting me through this. I'd want to know exactly where Rob is to punish him.

The girls who railed against him have brains of walnuts. They were eager that he had done it and eager to punish him. They couldn't in their brains decide that he was fitted up by the police and only Robs confession got him off

Miss hell is horrendous but Steph has let herself go down big time.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely due to his affair that he is getting so much hate. However, people seem to have forgotten about how Peter and Carla got together!!
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It's just a weak way to facilitate his exit, by having everyone turn on him. Another example of the current production team's inability to make exits remotely believable!
  • Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Don't I remember Michelle having no time for Tina when she found out about the affair?
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bull and why Steph acting like she and Tina was the best of friends she knew her all of 5 minutes!!, it's a sad day when one of the few last reasons to watch Corrie leave.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    What was that utterly stupid scene with the wedding ring all about? Are they now shoehorning in stuff for the awful Ms Marsh because she is a non-character. Can they just get rid. I'll put a sheet round for her, not that I think we will collect much. ;-)
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has even mentioned Rob murdering Tina. Surely the Street would be in disbelief about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The correlation between the affair and Tina's killing is another example of Corrie trivialising murder. Rob killing Tina was a million times worse than Peter having an affair with her.

You would still expect people to have sympathy for Peter. Being jailed for a murder he didn't commit would be a deeply traumatic event in his life.

^^This^^ - pretty much agreed, on both points :-)
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Like all emotional cripples - and by God, doesn't this country pander to them, these days - Peter is wholly responsible for the chain of events that led to the murder. Oh, doubtless the liberals will go "Boo-hoo" and claim his alcoholism is an illness he can't control. Well, b*llocks to that. Like all alcoholics - and my father was one - he is a weak-willed, self-indulgent fool who can't keep it in his pants and then can't face up to his responsibilities.

I know Peter is a fictional character, but there are thousands of Peters in real life. And the sooner we stop making excuses for them, the better. I cheered when he wasn't welcomed back onto the Street with open arms.

Ever heard the expression "It takes two to tango" ?

If Tina had kept her sweaty mitts off a married man then she'd still be here.

Peter IS NOT solely to blame.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fadge1968 wrote: »
    What was that utterly stupid scene with the wedding ring all about? Are they now shoehorning in stuff for the awful Ms Marsh because she is a non-character. Can they just get rid. I'll put a sheet round for her, not that I think we will collect much. ;-)

Why did Michelle have to THROW the envelope with the ring in at Peter ?
    Why couldn't she just place it on the table, the skanky auld snatch.

Grrrr >:(
  • MerseymikeMerseymike Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Tina was quite prepared to have an affair, and she knew what she was doing.

Rob killed her, not Peter.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would they be saying sorry to him. It wasn't their actions that put him behind bars it was his and Tina's and the police who locked him up.

He may not have killed her but had Peter not been having an affair with her it is unlikely Rob would have killed her.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever heard the expression "It takes two to tango" ?

Peter IS NOT solely to blame.

Rob killed Tina. Surely that computes...
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Merseymike wrote: »
    Tina was quite prepared to have an affair, and she knew what she was doing.

Rob killed her, not Peter.

Exactly.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »

And what about Tina? Sleeping with a just married man and coming on to him on his wedding day. Everybody has to take responsibility for their part in things. Also, if Tina hadn't goaded Rob and threatened to tell the police about the stolen goods she'd still be alive, but I suppose that's Peter's fault too?
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    why would they be saying sorry to him. It wasn't their actions that put him behind bars it was his and Tina's and the police who locked him up.

He may not have killed her but had Peter not been having an affair with her it is unlikely Rob would have killed her.

Human decency.

Rob didn't kill her because of the affair.