Options

Cat problems..insurance cover?

Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all, My cat :kitty: has shown signs over the past couple of weeks of being off her food. I knew it was an issue as she has never been fussy with food before. We tried her on a few different brands and consistencies of foods to determine she wasn't just being fussy and took her to the vet to get looked at.

The vet said she had some bad teeth and because she was a large cat her liver could be poisoning her now she wasn't eating right. They did a blood test and x-ray to check which came back clear although she identified a lump next to her kidney but it was loose so it didn't seem to bother the vet too much, although she did consider the option to remove it as a precaution in case it was something bad that would attach itself in future. She also had some bad teeth so we booked her in to get them removed.

£300 later and we took her home and I got her insured as I had planned on insuring her previously but never got round to it so this gave me a wake up call to get it done. Her appetite improved over the next few days so I thought things were on the mend and I told the insurance company the information about having her teeth removed and showed signs of improvement which they put an exclusion on any oral related problems.

Now though almost 10 days later, she has become incredibly lethargic, barely moving at all in fact and seems to be refusing food altogether and is only drinking water on the odd occasion. I have also noticed she isn't really going to the toilet much either although she is still passing very small amounts so i'm worried she has an impacted colon or really bad constipation.

She has a checkup tomorrow and I know my insurance still hasn't officially kicked in as it hasn't been 14 days yet so whatever needs doing tomorrow will need paying for. However after Wednesday when I have had the policy for two weeks will I be able to claim for any further treatment relating to her possibly having impacted bowels as i insured her before i knew about her having the condition or will the insurance company claim it was pre-existing and not cover anything in relation to it? As i don't think I could afford to treat a condition that is gonna a fortune.

Comments

• Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    You may well find that the insurance company will relate the present problem to the previous one (which it could well be!) and will therefore decide not to provide cover if they ask for any history from the vet. They may think that you deliberately covered up any symptoms apart from the teeth (not saying that you did, but insurance companies are like that!)

Hope that you get it sorted though and that your cat can have the right treatment for whatever ails her!
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat got ill on the 14th day. I filed the claim (pet plan) and they paid out. Several hundred quid so I was very grateful.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most insurers will exclude any illness that develops in the 14 day waiting period I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Harry.KewellHarry.Kewell Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the replies, unfortunately my cat became really bad over the weekend and was put on IV fluid and injections to help her more comfortable as she became really weak and wouldn't eat or drink anything at all and wouldnt really move anywhere. The vet said it looks as though she had a tumour in her abdomen causing her not to eat and another that was pushing on her lungs as she began to get really short of breath, so we decided it would be best to put her to sleep.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that Harry.

Losing loved pets is always a sad time, but I'm sure you did the best thing for her so that she didn't suffer any more.

RIP little cat. :(
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry, it's never easy but you did the kindest thing x