Options

Do you feel under pressure to tip?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't neccessarily tip.

For something like taxi drivers, pizza deliveries or some other cash payments I may say keep the change if it is only 10/15p. That's just to save hassle of waiting around for change and that I generally don't like loose change. It's not becuase of the service they have given.

I'd prefer prices to be rounded up or down to the nearest 25/50p :p

A caveate to that may be a taxi driver at Christmas/New Year who although on double time is out at all hours usually in bad weather. I may tip them.

As others have said, there are plenty of difficult jobs out there and in this country we have (or are supposed to) a national minimum wage so a waiter could be on the same price of a supermarket worker or call centre worker and you wouldn't tip them.
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    As others have said, there are plenty of difficult jobs out there and in this country we have (or are supposed to) a national minimum wage so a waiter could be on the same price of a supermarket worker or call centre worker and you wouldn't tip them.

Flowerpowa would apparently.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't neccessarily tip.
    A caveate to that may be a taxi driver at Christmas/New Year who although on double time is out at all hours usually in bad weather. I may tip them.

Another calumny/old wives tale.
    I have heard that minicabs charge double at Christmas and New Year, but I don't know if it's true, I'm proud to say that I've never been in one, and never would get in one.
    Between the hours of 20.00 on 24/12/14 and 06.00 on 27/12/14, and between 20.00 on 31/12/14 and 06.00 on 02/01/15 there is an extra charge of £4.00 per hiring.
    That means that if the meter reads £9.80, your fare would be £13.80 at Christmas and/or New Year, it it read £49.00, your fare would be £53.00
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Another calumny/old wives tale.
    I have heard that minicabs charge double at Christmas and New Year, but I don't know if it's true, I'm proud to say that I've never been in one, and never would get in one.
    Way to contradict yourself immediately.

Yes they do charge double time, at least, after 11:45 I believe.

If you get into a yellow cab around here then the usual price on the metre is £2.
    At christmas/new year it will be around £4 before you set off. I'm not sure of the milage charge after that.

Private hire is different but they still have a hiked up starting charge per journey.
    A regular taxi from the town to my house is £6. At christmas/newyear it is over £10. I usual order Private Hire rather than jumping into a yellow cab.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll tip in a bar/restaurant if the staff/service/food have actually impressed me and delivered more than the norm.
    If it's just "satisfactory, I won't.
    Conversely there have been occasions, much less frequent, where I have made it clear I don't expect to be billed in full after explaining why.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way to contradict yourself immediately.

Yes they do charge double time, at least, after 11:45 I believe.

If you get into a yellow cab around here then the usual price on the metre is £2.
    At christmas/new year it will be around £4 before you set off. I'm not sure of the milage charge after that.

Private hire is different but they still have a hiked up starting charge per journey.
    A regular taxi from the town to my house is £6. At christmas/newyear it is over £10. I usual order Private Hire rather than jumping into a yellow cab.

Perhaps you didn't understand my post on this, how have I contradicted myself?
    Who charges, or where do they charge double after 23.45?
    Not that I'm really interested, as I'm not talking about wherever you are.
    I seem to remember seeing yellow taxis in Bristol, and also somewhere in the West Midlands, but I couldn't swear to either of those.
    I was talking specifically about London when I said that I understood, but wasn't totally sure, that minicabs charged double at Christmas and New Year, but that black cabs charge a one off extra of £4.00 per hiring.
    Christ knows where you are with your talk of yellow cabs, New York perhaps?
    Then again no, in New York a taxi's meter starts at $2.50, or did the last time I used one.
    We don't have metres, we have meters, and the start of the journey, or flag fall down here, is £2.40.
    If you think I'm wrong in what I say, tell me by all means, but do us all a favour, get your facts right.
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    You should have questioned the bill and got the 'service charge ' removed

It only ended up being about £1 each so we paid it but if it was a lot I wouldn't have.
    I don't feel any pressure to tip, and only tip if I receive exceptional service one way or another. The reason being, I'm waiting staff myself on minimum wage so can't afford the tips on top of the bill, but of course if someone goes out of their way to make my meal special in some way I will acknowledge that even with a tip of only a couple of pounds because I know how appreciated it is.

I totally disagree with establishments that automatically add a tip onto the bill, which is "optional" but then you're the person who has to specifically say you don't want to tip. I guess that's the idea, pressuring you into feeling awkward about asking for it to be taken off. Funnily enough most places (not all, but most) which I have visited with this feature have provided much worse service than others. Most recently, a bill included a 20% tip - where the staff could barely remember my party's order which was 3 teas, 2 cheesecakes and a bowl of ice cream - not exactly a complicated order, but there you go, they got a 20% tip where normally I wouldn't give one for sloppy service like that. All tips should be optional, and not optional but you have to tell them specifically you're not tipping them.

I agree with a previous suggestion in this thread that waiting staff should have higher wages with prices reflecting this, and no expectation of tipping whatsoever. It would just make it easier all round!

Exactly, it's just awkward and you feel like a stinge but it is a cheek that they do it. It's also caused difficulty with my two friends who I occasionally go out with, they are polite and will just pay it but if it's a lot I don't want to, but then that leaves them feeling like they have to pay the full tip between them. It's my choice to not pay but then what do they do?
    Also it's not always that clear that the tip will be added (tiny writing on back of the menu) and you work out how much you each owe then it ends up being more. I remember one time we'd counted out in cash what we each needed to pay then the bill came with tip added. We left the cash and legged it, lol.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it time to stop tipping on cruises.?
    Huge profits are made and yet we are told that the staff rely on tips to make up their wages
    I 'd quite like to go on a cruise, but this tipping business puts me off
  • Options
    Francis-HearstFrancis-Hearst Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Can’t say I feel under pressure, but I do feel it’s slightly insensitive to be asked to a provide tip when that decision should ideally rest solely with the patron.

However It wouldn't stop me from leaving a tip if the service was exceptionally good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Isn't it time to stop tipping on cruises.?
    Huge profits are made and yet we are told that the staff rely on tips to make up their wages
    I 'd quite like to go on a cruise, but this tipping business puts me off
    I've been on several and you really do have to bite the bullet.
    You have to run up a "tab" which has a tax and a service charge added when you settle up, the latter allegedly shared out amongst the staff.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spouthouse wrote: »
    But don't you think it would be better if restaurants just paid their staff a higher wage and added 10% on to the prices?

I would hope the staff get a decent wage.

But I never feel pressure to tip.

If the service was good I might tip. If bad I won't.

When I was younger I worked the summer holidays waiting on tables and loved getting tips.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

Simple. Because you didn't do the job yourself.

Does your urologist really accept tips?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Not while i'm in Australia right now and the minimum wage is almost $17.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I don't mind tipping. Especially if someone is on lower wages and might rely on tips to help them get through. I won't tip for bad service. I only really tip wait staff and hotel staff, not sure why, I guess that's just what my Mum and Dad did.

It's weird what we tip and what we don't when you think about it. Most people tip wait staff, hotel staff, maybe the hairdresser, taxi driver. But I don't think anyone tips a nurse, receptionist, postman etc.

I think that's the main difference I noticed between the US and UK was that EVERYONE gets a tip, unless specifically stated otherwise. The only people we cam across who were not allowed to take tips were the police and Tiffany's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    It's weird what we tip and what we don't when you think about it. Most people tip wait staff, hotel staff, maybe the hairdresser, taxi driver. But I don't think anyone tips a nurse, receptionist, postman etc.
    I do tip my postman and my milkman.
    Both have been regular for years and deliver without fail.
    It's just a Christmas card with a tenner.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always give them a packet of polos and say have one now and save the rest for later :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    I always give them a packet of polos and say have one now and save the rest for later :cool:

Ah, like Tommy Cooper slipping a tea bag into his cabbie's top pocket and saying "Have a drink on me later". :p
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I just give them a bit of a pat.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel under pressure to tip - even though I believe tips should only be given where service has been above and beyond. Just for doing their job? Nah...
    There are loads of difficult jobs out there where people don't get tips.
    However at Christmas I sometimes give a little extra to the coal merchant who delivers my coal and to the village garage - both of which have gone over the call of duty during the year. Also to the guy who cuts my hair - his charge - £3.50 - has not gone up in years!
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    If going into a restaurant and not tipping irritates the staff then I won't go to restaurants. I wouldn't enjoy my meal knowing that any 'attentive service' I received meant that the tip was becoming a requirement. Honestly, I'd rather collect my own meal from the counter and walk up to the bar at the end to pay than have overworked staff wasting time talking to me. I don't really want to keep being asked 'is everything OK' and struggling to answer through a mouthful of food. And if everything is not 'OK' all that happens is someone comes out and makes you feel guilty about what you are not happy about.

Is everything OK with your meal?
    Yes, quite nice but the meat is very tough - I can't really eat it.
    Oh, one moment...(senior member of staff is called)
    Can I help you?
    Well the meat is rather gristly and I can't really eat it...
    It is local organic meat sir.
    I don't think I'll be able to eat it - it is just very tough.
    We have had no complaints and its very popular (now it's my fault).
    Ok.

At the end after all the 'service' I am still prompted to tip. I think that staff would rather they not be inconvenienced by customers and for people to just push cash through some sort of fancy brass hatch on their way past.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you didn't understand my post on this, how have I contradicted myself?
    Who charges, or where do they charge double after 23.45?
    Not that I'm really interested, as I'm not talking about wherever you are.
    I seem to remember seeing yellow taxis in Bristol, and also somewhere in the West Midlands, but I couldn't swear to either of those.
    I was talking specifically about London when I said that I understood, but wasn't totally sure, that minicabs charged double at Christmas and New Year, but that black cabs charge a one off extra of £4.00 per hiring.
    Christ knows where you are with your talk of yellow cabs, New York perhaps?
    Then again no, in New York a taxi's meter starts at $2.50, or did the last time I used one.
    We don't have metres, we have meters, and the start of the journey, or flag fall down here, is £2.40.
    If you think I'm wrong in what I say, tell me by all means, but do us all a favour, get your facts right.

As a fellow Londoner, and dedicated black cab user, I know what you meant in your post #29, but to be absolutely fair to degsy, you went from discussing minicab double fares at Christmas/New Year, to the £4.00 extra for each hiring that black cabs charge at Christmas/New Year without mentioning that this extra was a black cab only thing.
    When he mentioned 'yellow cabs' he must have been talking of where he lives, he says that is up North, so it would not be reasonable to expect him to be aware of taxi operations in the Capital.
    By the way, minicabs in London, according to my acquaintances, because I never use them either, do charge double at Christmas/New Year.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I totally disagree with being asked for a tip on card machines and the 'optional' service charge that some place add on.

It should be entirely voluntary.

Service charge added to bills should be scrapped and tips earned the hard way - by good service , USA style - yeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (but perhaps not quite so in your face ;-) )
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding I enjoy going to a pub where you pay up front for food at the bar more and more. You're not expected to tip and you can leave when you want to, rather than waiting twenty minutes for the bill which you then obliged to increase by 10%.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I factor it into the cost unless the tip is already included.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only tip if I get good service...... and I make sure the person who has served me, is the one who gets the tip...

I've done the job in the past during my uni days......