Options

Cheryl's album has totally flopped.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard anything negative about her - what have you heard/read? Any links?

I used to work in one of London's prestigious high end department stores. As someone who has actually served her and dealt with her attitude first hand I was thoroughly put off by her despite being somewhat of a fan of hers previously. She came back in a few weeks later a treated a colleague in exactly the same manner, as though people in service aren't fit to lick the scum from between her toes. Another colleague also served her in a restaurant once and said she was the exact same there and others throughout the store in other departments said her attitude was well noted.

She might be lovely to those she works with in the industry but she clearly thinks very little of those she doesn't deem important. And her poor attitude was even more highlighted by the fact that celebs like Katy Perry, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Rosie Huntington Whitely, Keira Knightley, JK Rowling, Jude Law, Rihanna, Henry Cavill, David Gandy etc were all lovely and a delight to serve.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like her music despite her poor vocal skills referring back to the Saturdays I'm surprised they actually still have a record deal even their greatest hits flopped.
    I blame their declining sales on management record company who aren't promoting them properly going back to Cheryl she still has a big fanbase.
    To be honest she's lucky she lasted to album number four especially when Victoria beckham only did two one unreleased and at least quit while she was ahead.
    Cheryl should go into fashion too as she's not a singer really and doesn't play any instruments the likes of mika and ed sheran will be around as they write songs.
    so even if their career ended tomorrow they can still write for other artists the likes of Cheryl are dependent on others writing for them.
  • Options
    drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I actually like her music despite her poor vocal skills referring back to the Saturdays I'm surprised they actually still have a record deal even their greatest hits flopped.
    I blame their declining sales on management record company who aren't promoting them properly going back to Cheryl she still has a big fanbase.
    To be honest she's lucky she lasted to album number four especially when Victoria beckham only did two one unreleased and at least quit while she was ahead.
    Cheryl should go into fashion too as she's not a singer really and doesn't play any instruments the likes of mika and ed sheran will be around as they write songs.
    so even if their career ended tomorrow they can still write for other artists the likes of Cheryl are dependent on others writing for them.

The Saturdays are not a good comparison to Cheryl considering they will be quietly dropped in March when the annual clean out by record companies takes place. Cheryl will definitely hold on to her deal.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in one of London's prestigious high end department stores. As someone who has actually served her and dealt with her attitude first hand I was thoroughly put off by her despite being somewhat of a fan of hers previously. She came back in a few weeks later a treated a colleague in exactly the same manner, as though people in service aren't fit to lick the scum from between her toes. Another colleague also served her in a restaurant once and said she was the exact same there and others throughout the store in other departments said her attitude was well noted.

She might be lovely to those she works with in the industry but she clearly thinks very little of those she doesn't deem important. And her poor attitude was even more highlighted by the fact that celebs like Katy Perry, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Rosie Huntington Whitely, Keira Knightley, JK Rowling, Jude Law, Rihanna, Henry Cavill, David Gandy etc were all lovely and a delight to serve.

Naomi Campbell was a delight to serve?
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a shame. But of course Paloma can actually sing, and her career is built on talent rather than being a judge on X Factor.

That's debatable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    Naomi Campbell was a delight to serve?

Much nicer than Paloma!! Naomi actually treated us like we were people rather than sub-beings.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just releases a chavvy lead single and bungs it on an album of filler. It's hardly a surprise when the album then flops.

THIS :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member

Sad to hear this. I hate hearing of celebrities who are mean to people outside of their industry. There is absolutely no need for it.
  • Options
    BlazingLovaticBlazingLovatic Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Her first sold 900,000 though, so at first she was a big seller

Second managed 300,000
    Third managed 60,000
    Fourth has barely hit 50,000

Her label are losing money with each album.

There will come a time when they will cut her budget or drop her.

Um, your sales are slightly off there

First: 1,000,000+
    Second: 500,000+ (nearly 2x platinum)
    Third: 100,000+
    Fourth: 48,000 as of last week

Of course her label haven't lost money on either of these albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    This album campaign can be saved. Not talking about the album selling by the thousands but if she chooses the right singles, then she could have some minor success with the rest of this era. The next 3 singles should be:

Only human
    All in one night
    Throwback/goodbye means hello. (Either one of these)
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    she just needs to release a great next single with strong video and campaign... she suffers from limited international interest... she needs to build on this ...
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy Stupid Love has been played a lot recently on the radio, and it really brought home to me how naff and cheesy it was. Very lazy song writing and production with that shitty clarinet bit in it. Very poor.
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she just needs to release a great next single with strong video and campaign... she suffers from limited international interest... she needs to build on this ...

She has apparently recorded a video for the 3rd single a few weeks ago, but there has been no hints as to what it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have chosen. I had originally wanted Only Human as the 3rd single, but now there has been such a gap I don't know if coming back with a ballad is the right way to go.

I quite like Waiting For Lightning as a future single too.
  • Options
    GirlOverboardGirlOverboard Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I love "It's About Time".
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Her first sold 900,000 though, so at first she was a big seller

Second managed 300,000
    Third managed 60,000
    Fourth has barely hit 50,000

Her label are losing money with each album.

There will come a time when they will cut her budget or drop her.

But they're not losing money.
    She toured arenas with the third.
    She's had two number 1 singles. People forget that sales of albums aren't the biggest income for artists these days - streams, merch and so on are all much more beneficial than album sales.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flopped is putting it lightly, completely bombed is more like it (two weeks in the Top 40!). Cheryl hasn't had a post album hit since early 2010, any future single (if they even bother) are unlikely to do much for Only Human's sales. This is probably going to be lucky to scrape Silver (60,000). Truly dreadful sales. I hope she's on a 360 deal.

I received my copy yesterday and so far I am very far from impressed. I hope it's a grower.
  • Options
    Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very interesting^^...I always thought she seemed fake and with her putting on that forced "quirky" persona
    Also, her voice really grates on me
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People forget that sales of albums aren't the biggest income for artists these days - streams, merch and so on are all much more beneficial than album sales.

Whilst that's true to some extent, if her music doesn't sell, the less her label will invest in her making albums though, and the quality will slip further if they can't secure good productions for her. I was listening to a compilation album the other day through some headphones and I was really surprised how terrible CSL sounded (production wise) when played loud.

It will be interesting to see if she returns to XF next year and if she releases another album too. I don't think she will.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work in one of London's prestigious high end department stores. As someone who has actually served her and dealt with her attitude first hand I was thoroughly put off by her despite being somewhat of a fan of hers previously......

Maybe she doesn't enjoy shopping. I don't know why people expect all celebs to be happy and bubbly 24/7 just because they're rich and famous.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    It is terrible and I'm sure everyone involved thought X Factor would help her album, but I do genuinely believe had she never made an album as bad as Messy Little Raindrops she would still be a decent album seller. I'm convinced that album turned many people off buying another album of hers.

I think she is now a singles artist and she just needs to keep pumping out singles from Only Human, she has confirmed she was going to be shooting a video last week for single 3, so they definitely aren't giving up on it.

it was an awful album, rush released to coincide with another stint on x factor, it deserved to flop.

' a million lights' was however infinitely better. but now she has gone back to making dirge again for the latest album.
    i doubt it would have even sold half as much had it not been for x factor.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the third single gets axed she is such a half arsed excuse for a popstar I mean really four studio albums and only NINE singles in total.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they're not losing money.
    She toured arenas with the third.
    She's had two number 1 singles. People forget that sales of albums aren't the biggest income for artists these days - streams, merch and so on are all much more beneficial than album sales.

Sorry, in the same way people don't actually know she's losing money, how do you know she isn't. I mean albums may not mean that much in the age of streaming, but surly that means singles mean less?

She gets masses of promotion, expensive vids and she still does little.
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2015!! :D My first post

Anyways....

There's no speculation in that the first two albums were commercially successful - 3 Words did a million in the UK and some more internationally and Messy Little Raindrops has broken the 500,000 sales barrier.

Her third album didn't fare as well. Possibly deciding to take a break in 2011 from releasing another album could have caused this or the fact that those who bought her previous albums didn't like what they heard. It sold 100,000 and i really doubt that the label made a profit on it to be honest. As she is Cheryl i think they decided she still had the potential in the future to sell so kept her on. Most artists wouldn't get another album selling so little considering how much promotion she did. I guess the tour will have helped her case to stay signed however i presume the label only get a cut of these sales.

To justify perhaps the label keeping her on etc she needed something that would get some buzz for her - thats why she went back on XF and decided to forgive Simon etc. I don't buy this whole, unfinished business crap she spouts 100% she went back as she knew the third album struggled and to avoid getting dropped it was worth it for her to go back and get the promotion the show does. In some ways it worked, as 2 No.1 singles showed but slowly since Call My Name she has developed more into a singles artist than albums.

Only Human has sold 48,000 copies. That's not very good considering she had the XF promotion and exposure and to No.1 singles to back it up. It's sad but it has underperformed.:o
    She just at the bare minimum has to sell to 100k - i was hoping it would go platinum but as an artist.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Cheryl only gets #1 due to attention seeking (the release of Crazy Stupid Love coincided with her wedding, the 'accident' for Call my Name) and X-Factor.

If you took all of this away from her, she would be lucky to scrape Top five.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Cheryl only gets #1 due to attention seeking (the release of Crazy Stupid Love coincided with her wedding, the 'accident' for Call my Name) and X-Factor.

If you took all of this away from her, she would be lucky to scrape Top five.

Crazy Stupid Love was insanely high on preorders and had incredibly high radio play even before the wedding announcement. It would have gotten number one.

Accident for Call My Name? You referring to what exactly?