Options

People knocking on your door to collect for the poppy appeal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
Forum Member
Is it wrong for this to bug me? I always donate and buy numerous poppies (for my kids too) but I don't like being disturbed on a Sunday morning by 2 little old ladied knocking on my front door to collect donations and give me a poppy.

Comments

• Options
    NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I object to anyone knocking on my door, no matter what the cause. If I want to give to charity, change my gas supplier or buy a poppy, I will do so at my own convenience and will always refuse anything like this on the doorstep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nest wrote: »
    I object to anyone knocking on my door, no matter what the cause. If I want to give to charity, change my gas supplier or buy a poppy, I will do so at my own convenience and will always refuse anything like this on the doorstep.

I totally agree.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    They've just been here. Normally people calling trying to sell stuff get short shrift.

But the poppy appeal and the RNLI always get my support. It's only embarrassing when I haven't got any money in the house (a usual state of affairs as I do everything by debit card.

Except pay the window cleaner who was here yesterday so I had some change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    They've just been here. Normally people calling trying to sell stuff get short shrift.

But the poppy appeal and the RNLI always get my support. It's only embarrassing when I haven't got any money in the house (a usual state of affairs as I do everything by debit card.

Except pay the window cleaner who was here yesterday so I had some change.

They get my support too. I just don't need it on my doorstep. And I genuinely didn't have any money in the house so turned them away empty handed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise they did door to door collections these days.
    Living in a purpose built block of flats in an area thats got more blocks of flats than houses you tend to not get the charity collectors coming round not now theres entry phones every where.
    About the only people that ever get in is if the charity is something to do with one of the people who live here and then the trouble is you almost feel obliged to give.

I remember a couple of xmas's ago i thought it really was a bit much when there was a knock on the door and someone was collecting for something like Water Aid to give clean water to africa and they were selling it to you with the picture of the little boy who with out the clean water are dying of diarehea, okay I gave to that but I didn't actually want that xmas afternoon, I wanted a kip. I don't even normally answer the door but being xmas day I just thought it might have been a neighbour saying happy xmas on their way in or out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the first time they have ever knocked on my front door. I didn't realise they did that
  • Options
    LEPLEP Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why I've got a video doorbell so I can just ignore people I don't want to talk to.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member

yip.. what Nest says.. :D
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LEP wrote: »
    That's why I've got a video doorbell so I can just ignore people I don't want to talk to.

Oooh very James Bond. :D
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Oooh very James Bond. :D

Very useful, they are, along with automated gates. I can vet them before I allow them up the drive. I'm right behind the poppy appeal, but still would not enjoy a visit from them on a Sunday AM. I have other things to do;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only change I've usually got around as well is all the shrapnel that I've emptied out of purse or pockets cos its too heavy to carry around and I know from when I've done street collections that those collecting boxes can get very heavy so then I feel guilty about giving them coppers and they've then got to carry the boxes around with them for another hour or so and also actually rather embarrassed so I usually then dont bother. Stupid I know but in a way I feel better as someone who just only gives to the charities I work for rather than letting other people think of me as being a bit tight in just giving a few pence as a token gift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite right too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    LEP wrote: »

When I get a flat/house (I'm 17, so that'll be quite a while away!) I'm having one of those. I've decided.:D:D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When my 10 year old poppy finally wears out I will go to a shop and buy another:)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it wrong for this to bug me? I always donate and buy numerous poppies (for my kids too) but I don't like being disturbed on a Sunday morning by 2 little old ladied knocking on my front door to collect donations and give me a poppy.

Is there a lack of shops allowing them t o be sold in your area maybe ? I know last year some stores refused to allow them which kicked up a rumpus.
  • Options
    83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too get sick of old ladies coming to my door offering me their poppies.

Is there a law against it?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the only door to door one I will tolerate and give to.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    Very useful, they are, along with automated gates. I can vet them before I allow them up the drive. I'm right behind the poppy appeal, but still would not enjoy a visit from them on a Sunday AM. I have other things to do;)

Jeez sounds like a gated community.

Is everyone phobic of people knocking at their door?

I don't tend to give doantions to people who come knocking but it doesn't particularly rile me that they call.

People are nice :)... well they are around here anyway.
  • Options
    keyboard catkeyboard cat Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I object to anyone knocking on my door, no matter what the cause.

What if they ring the bell?

I bet you get proper narky when your friends come round, or do they not knock?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's the only door to door one I will tolerate and give to.

It's slightly irritating nonetheless, as a gent such as yourself has doubtless bought a poppy prior to the door to door people? Unless they are early of course.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until a few years ago we had the same old man coming to our door to sell poppies then he stopped coming and no one else took over. I have no objection at all to them selling poppies this way even early on a Sunday morning.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with the "charity bucket while eating dinner" farrago thread a few days back, I suspect that as people become meaner and meaner, those trying to help deserving causes are having to work harder to get their pennies.

OK, here's how it works. Someone knocks on your door. You have two choices. a) answer the door. b) don't. If b), then game over. If a) and they're collecting for something, you then have two further choices. a) give them some money or b) don't. Either way, game over.

As games go, it doesn't quite have the longevity of, say, a Deus Ex or a Knights Of The Old Republic, granted...

...but as a minor irritation (at most), surely that's a good thing?

Maybe if they're doing it every couple of hours, but... someone occasionally asks for help. If you don't want to give it, then fine, but have we really got to a stage where even being ASKED for help is a problem?

If we have, then roll on that giant asteroid. We deserve it.
  • Options
    NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if they ring the bell?

I bet you get proper narky when your friends come round, or do they not knock?

Lol! :D I bloody do! I'm a big nark at the best of times! But seriously - I refer to people who want something from me . . . except friendship ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll buy a poppy, no worries at all, but we turn off the doorbell at night, turn it on again when we are ready to recieve any visitors who might happen by, so not really an issue. The bell went on at 10.30 this am. Perfect.
  • Options
    *Confidential**Confidential* Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree.