Options

Live Aid Documentary

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anybody watch the 2 part documentary about Live Aid shown on BBC4 this week, its well worth it for those that remember it and have 3 hours to spare.

Its more of a behind the scenes look at it rather than showing the concert.

I actually felt quite sorry for Midge after watching it.

Comments

• Options
    CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I did, I found it fascinating...

Apparetly it was first shown in 2005 but I don't remember it being on at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CanonMan75 wrote: »

Apparetly it was first shown in 2005 but I don't remember it being on at the time.

I never saw it then either
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CanonMan75 wrote: »

Yes, it was made for the 20th Anniversary in 2005 but it was well worth a repeat. In this world of modern communications you forget what an amazing technical achievement the international broadcast was back in 1985.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a true milestone in performance for sure.
    I also found it to be the peak of the self-importance of performers in the music business.
    There was nowhere to go after Live Aid it was the ultimate.
    Sir Bob tried to duplicate it with Live 8 but it was not the same.
  • Options
    LightofTruthLightofTruth Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Part 2 wonderful to watch last night :)
  • Options
    570416570416 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    [I actually felt quite sorry for Midge after watching it.[/QUOTE]

Me too, His girlfriend really didn't like sir Bob but you can see why.
    Found it sad Midge thought he was being moved for technical reasons and neither Bob or Harvey would stand up and say who authorised the change
  • Options
    terryranosaurusterryranosaurus Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the BBC4 Band Aid documentary on dvd that they showed a long time ago but I've never seen this Live Aid one before.
    There is a documentary on the Live Aid dvd set but this BBC one was much better and I even dug out one of my few dual layer blanks to archive it for keeps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 13 at the time of Live Aid and I remember being stunned by Queen's performance. Before then I used to think they were crap.
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I remembered Live Aid really well but I don't remember the fuss about Phil Collins and Led Zep, nor do I remember Simon le Bon's bum note. It was a fascinating programme and it's always worth watching Queen. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I remembered Live Aid really well but I don't remember the fuss about Phil Collins and Led Zep, nor do I remember Simon le Bon's bum note. It was a fascinating programme and it's always worth watching Queen. :)

Led Zep were the only ones who refused permission for their footage to be on the dvd's
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where can i watch this folks, sounds great, any links
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbc iplayer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Led Zep were the only ones who refused permission for their footage to be on the dvd's

Clips on YouTube though. Not one of their finest performances and it wasn't all Phil Collin's fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers folks what one should i watch 1st?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OnexOne wrote: »
    cheers folks what one should i watch 1st?

No 1, then No 2.

Its a continuous story split into 2 programs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cheers, away to relive the greatest compilation concert ever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget the 10 hour dvd of the concert itself too
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Fascinating documentary! I think people often forget quite how big an achievement the Live Aid concert actually was. Theese concerts are ten a penny nowadays but in 1985, the event was a massive technological and social achievement! Its still on iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078x3n/Live_Aid_Against_All_Odds/
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    As a side issue to the Led Zepp thing, Robert Plant also vetoed the version of Innuendo he sang at the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert, the only artist who wouldn't allow any of the material to go out on the dvd.

However, the Live Aid documentary reminded me of so many of the things that were going at the time. I recalled the rumpus over Zep, but really didn't know why it had gone on etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was an excellent two parter and it brought back so many memories and emotions. I remember taking over the TV for the day, well until 10 pm, when the US concert took over and I was kicked off to bed. I also remember just how very moved I was the first time I saw the Cars video, I still can't hear that song without the same emotions resurfacing.

Oh and yes, Queen were amazing!
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I havent looked, but wonder if it is on youtube:confused: Must be someone who taped the whole thing on video (like me) and kept it (unlike me :cry:) and can now stick it on youtube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    I havent looked, but wonder if it is on youtube:confused: Must be someone who taped the whole thing on video (like me) and kept it (unlike me :cry:) and can now stick it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AzIsSHJJq4
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This documentary was good.

But it left me with many mixed feelings, mainly because its' focus at the beginning was on the appalling catasrophe unfolding in Ethiopia which was the catalyst for galvanising Geldorf into action whereas by the end, the focus was on the relief and feelings of satisfaction of the people involved in operating the event.

Now I know that this was a documentary about the record and mainly, the concert, not the starvation in Ehiopia.

But I couldn't help watching all these slightly ageing musicians with their generally unfettered egos going on about their performances, or whthere their microphones worked, or whether they knew what to say or whether they minded performing in front of Royalty (or not) or what everyone's single word to describe Bob Geldorf was and thinking who really cares about all this music business nonsense, how much aid was created and did it do any good?

And although the operational side of staging the event was a huge undertaking and an a great achievemnent, by the end of the 3 hours, I found myself saying, yeah, I get that, now tell me what the impact was.

Now I know it did do good. That was a lot of money that was generated but where did it go?

I remember reading just after the documentary was shown that at the time of Live Aid, nearly 50% of Ethiopia's population of around 33million were either affected or at risk from the famine.

20 years on, with another famine imminent, the percentage had reducced to around 30%, the only problem being that the population had doubled to c65 million and that therefore even more people were at risk? Depressing stuff. (Wiki now states Ethiopia's pop. at 79+million)

Of course, this is not Live Aid's fault. Its not Geldorf's fault. Its the sad reality of how it is in parts of Africa.

The saying that because you can't help everyone, this shouldn't stop you helping someone is a brilliant phrase and one that should always apply.

I just would have been more interested to see, possibly at the end of the programme, the positive impacts, as we know that there were many.

Of course, huge events like Live Aid become ends in their own right, but as far as its role for Charity, it was a means to an end. I would like to have seen more of that end at the culmination of the programme.

So well done Bob Geldorf. That money saved people's lives. Or, as words used in the documentary might have said, it stopped people dying.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    I remember it well, I never realised they were flying by the seat of their pants so much, the only cock ups i remember were the Russian fruit pickers and McCartney's mic failing.

I never fully understood why they used the Whistle Test presenters as it was hardly their thing. I bet messers Bates, Travis, Read and Smith were a bit miffed
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    Now I know it did do good. That was a lot of money that was generated but where did it go?

Exactly, a lot of cynics suggest that 95% of the money was diverted to rebels in Ethiopia. People also suggest that Live Aid did very little to combat the long term problem of famine in the country - and that is the corrupt Government in charge; as opposed to environmental factors.