Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Baggage, by Monica Mcinerney...superb, I've read it before and bought it on kindle this week; her books are very enjoyable! :D
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished A Cotsold Killing by Rebecca Trope, enjoyed it apart from the annoying main character. Have ordered the next three from Amazon.

While l am waiting have started A Half Forgotten Story by Katherine Webb. Loved her two previous books The Unseen and The Legacy.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    Just finished Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, excellent read. Will be getting the English translation of Metro 2034.
    Bit of a change of pace with my next book - Dickie Bird's Britian.
  • Options
    shadforthshadforth Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butcher's Crossing by John Williams
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Finished A Cotsold Killing by Rebecca Trope, enjoyed it apart from the annoying main character. Have ordered the next three from Amazon.

While l am waiting have started A Half Forgotten Story by Katherine Webb. Loved her two previous books The Unseen and The Legacy.

I'm in the middle of 'Malice in the Cotswolds' at the moment. I have it on audiobook and it's just the sort of easy-going book I enjoy listening to while I'm pottering in the kitchen.
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Not Dead Yet - peter james -
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The House We Grew Up In - Lisa Jewel

Really enjoying reading this book :)
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Tania Carver- Cage of Bones
  • Options
    harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be going through a second childhood because I am reading First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton, a book I must have read a dozen times as a child but haven't read for over 30 years!:blush:
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been given 18 of the Lee Childs books about Jack Reacher. Never really fancied them from all I had heard, and the reports of the (allegedly) dreadful film with Tom Cruise.
    But I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. I only started the first one yesterday evening (Killing Floor) and am rapidly approaching the end of it, despite other things interfering, like life, shopping, eating etc!
    I now get the jokes that greeted the film release. Jack Reacher is six feet five inches tall and quite a muscular chap in the books.
    Tom Cruise is about four feet six and skinny, so it was a strange casting choice (Yes I KNOW TC films 'do the business' thanks!)
    But looking forward to the remaining books, if they keep to the same standards as the first one!
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I must be going through a second childhood because I am reading First Term at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton, a book I must have read a dozen times as a child but haven't read for over 30 years!:blush:

I loved the Malory Towers books! Are you enjoying it as an adult? I have no idea if I'd still like them now.

I'm in the middle of 'A Velvet Scream' by Priscilla Masters. I've only discovered her recently (always on the lookout for decent crime writers) and I quite like her style - lots of focus on the main characters and a bit of psychological stuff, so I'm enjoying working my way through her books.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genesis by Karin Slaughter.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My new audiobook is Mystery Man by Colin Bateman, read by Stephen Armstrong. I bought this in an Audible sale just from listening to the sample, having never heard of Colin Bateman.
    He’s the Man With No Name and the owner of No Alibis, a mystery bookshop in Belfast. But when a detective agency next door goes bust, the agency’s clients start calling into his shop asking him to solve their cases.
    Very funny so far.

I've also got an e-library book on the go. It's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. An elderly widower strikes up a friendship with the owner of the village shop. I'm getting through this one very quickly. I like borrowing ebooks from the library and am thinking about getting a cheap epub reader to go with my Kindle keyboard. I'm having to use my Kindle Fire atm and it's not as nice for reading as e-ink
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylila wrote: »
    I loved the Malory Towers books! Are you enjoying it as an adult? I have no idea if I'd still like them now.

I did kind of enjoy it, but I think I've got it out of my system now and won't bother with the rest of the series! :)

I have now started The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell which seems promising so far.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    The Hobbit which shockingly I haven't read before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Alphabet Sisters, by Monica McInerney, which I've read before but it is superb and i love McInerney's books:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    My new audiobook is Mystery Man by Colin Bateman, read by Stephen Armstrong. I bought this in an Audible sale just from listening to the sample, having never heard of Colin Bateman.

Very funny so far.

I've also got an e-library book on the go. It's Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. An elderly widower strikes up a friendship with the owner of the village shop. I'm getting through this one very quickly. I like borrowing ebooks from the library and am thinking about getting a cheap epub reader to go with my Kindle keyboard. I'm having to use my Kindle Fire atm and it's not as nice for reading as e-ink

i've just downloaded Major Pettigrew; it looks really good!!
    I would be interested to know about the epub reader as i have a kindle keyboard, what can you use them with?
    :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Shepperton Story: the History of the World-Famous Film Studio ~ Gareth Owen
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mel Sherratt - Fighting for survival
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    i've just downloaded Major Pettigrew; it looks really good!!
    I would be interested to know about the epub reader as i have a kindle keyboard, what can you use them with?
    :)

I was thinking of the Kobo touch. They were selling for about £30 recently, but seem to be unavailable now. It just means that you can buy books from other stores. Also the Kobo is compatible with library downloads. I just want it for library books, so don't want to pay much.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In cold blood. It's superb.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Elton 'Two Brothers'.
  • Options
    GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Tfe Goldfinch' Donna Tartt.

First Donna Tartt book I've read and I am loving it so far. A HUGE tome but I'm managing to get through it quite quickly. The use of language is extraordinary.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Enigma - Robert Harris