Deliveries going missing

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    We've just sorted out an issue like this with the council. We moved to a new address and found it shared an address with another house in the village, the previous occupier had got round it by including their surname as part of the address! Thankfully our shared neighbour was very nice (even when BT tried to disconnect her phone line - we caught it just in time!), but we wanted to get it sorted out.

Some to'ing and fro'ing was required with the council office, but eventually they agreed to change the last 3 digits of our postcode so the addys were unique, we've had no issues since touch wood. Though my OH gets incredibly vexed whenever there's a typo or deviation!!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar ongoing situation.

My address starts off with the number and then the house name - followed by the road name. We share the same postcode.

Example.

20 Blue House
    Smith Street
    Inverness

... turns to

20 Smith Street
    Inverness

On-line forms (even over the phone conversations) do not allow me to enter the house name, so it automatically enters the number followed by the road name. This is a totally different address up the road.

It causes all sorts of problems. The lady up the road is always receiving my post. So I get all parcels delivered elsewhere.

I hope you can get yours sorted OP.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It would be very unusual to have more than one address exactly the same within the same postcode area (eg MK18 covers Buckingham and I can think of no shared street names between the town and any of the surrounding villages covered). And there should definitely be no conflict using the full postcode. Unless you postcode is one of those which is erroneously located on the database. Have you tried entering the postcode into Google maps or Streetmaps and see where that shows it to be?

Bloody spooky that you mention Buckingham.

I once spent about an hour driving around that place in the winter, at night because there are two Church Roads (or something similar) within a mile or two of each other. Basically exactly the same problem as the OP.

I was tearing my hair out. The postcodes were only one digit different too.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you thought of painting your front door a distinctive colour so you can tell the courier to make sure to deliver to the house with the BIG RED DOOR ?
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Have you thought of painting your front door a distinctive colour so you can tell the courier to make sure to deliver to the house with the BIG RED DOOR ?

Something similar, we have 2 big conifers.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need some advice.

There are 2 other addresses the same as our address in a 1.5 mile radius.

The delivery drivers satnavs seems to take them to one of the others 2 addresses. Never had a satnav so I dont know the process of finding an address.

Over the years we have had about £1000 of deliveries go missing, luckly we managed to get the money back from all of them.

But today, we were getting a freezer delivered, the driver phoned up to say he was on his way, we put special instructions on the delivery note to say exactly where we were and to phone upon delivery.

The satnav took them to the wrong address, the driver and his mate said the woman took one look and rushed them into the house, they both felt something was wrong so they phoned us back, we assured them they were at the wrong address and they left.

They would not tell us which address they took it too but said the woman acted dodgy thats why they phoned to confirm.

Our son last year was getting fed during the night through a nose feeder, we got monthly deliveries of the food which some months would go missing, one of the drivers commented that he had delivered it to the wrong house and noticed in the yard loads of boxes of feed.

Its getting ridiculous that we think twice about getting deliveries.

Its just plain stupid to have 3 addreses the same in a 1.5 mile radius, but what can we do.

If a delivery goes missing, can I phone the police if the company confirms it has been delievered or am I just wasting my time.

So why are you not taking this up with the courier company or the police. The woman would have had to sign for the goods.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fingers crossed the delivery people know what a conifer is cos methinks not many know they are cone-bearing seed plants with vascular tissue :)
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try going round & saying that several delivery companies have told you that she has been 'kind' enough to accept your parcels on your behalf on a number of occasions but while you are grateful that she is so neighbourly you would appreciate it if in future she could just inform the delivery companies of their error with the address & point them in the right direction as that will avoid the need for you to get the police involved in future.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Bloody spooky that you mention Buckingham.

I once spent about an hour driving around that place in the winter, at night because there are two Church Roads
    There are no Church Roads in or near Buckingham. There is a Church Street and a Church Close off it in the adjoining village of Maids Moreton.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a pain but how about any future smallish deliveries you get delivered to a local shop, lots of them offer a service where you collect your parcels from them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I would send her a recorded delivery letter stating it has come to your notice that parcels you had ordered had been mistakenly delivered to her house instead. In future if any parcels were delivered there and not redirected to its proper address you would have no option but to call in the Police as it is classed as theft.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    I would send her a recorded delivery letter stating it has come to your notice that parcels you had ordered had been mistakenly delivered to her house instead. In future if any parcels were delivered there and not redirected to its proper address you would have no option but to call in the Police as it is classed as theft.

If the Op is getting refunds for so many items going to the wrong address I'm pretty certain that the original suppliers would be investigating this already.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    terry45 wrote: »
    If the Op is getting refunds for so many items going to the wrong address I'm pretty certain that the original suppliers would be investigating this already.

Good point Terry. :)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    We have had a similar problem but in reverse. We have gotten a few things delivered by royal mail (small items and letters) for an address thats the same number and street name as us but about a twenty minute drive away. When we get bigger deliveries we have to double check the name to make sure its ours before we sign for it.

It does make me wonder though because ive ordered two things lately which havent turned up. One is over a week late so i do wonder if its gone to the other address.
  • i4nic8i4nic8 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I have a similar problem; there are 3 properties on my road with the same house number and postcode
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    What do you have to lose by informing the police? The woman is stealing and the driver might not tell you but he would tell the police and as a witness *maybe* there is something of a case to be built although the company effected might have to complain. At the very least they police might go and have a quiet word.

Worse case is they say they cannot do anything, nothing ventured.

I agree. As far as I know, it's a criminal offence to keep someone else's mail even when it's delivered to you in error.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,508
    Forum Member
    i4nic8 wrote: »
    I have a similar problem; there are 3 properties on my road with the same house number and postcode
    If you are going to start bragging then I once lived in a big house that had four postcodes all to itself.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need some advice.

There are 2 other addresses the same as our address in a 1.5 mile radius.

The delivery drivers satnavs seems to take them to one of the others 2 addresses. Never had a satnav so I dont know the process of finding an address.

Over the years we have had about £1000 of deliveries go missing, luckly we managed to get the money back from all of them.

But today, we were getting a freezer delivered, the driver phoned up to say he was on his way, we put special instructions on the delivery note to say exactly where we were and to phone upon delivery.

The satnav took them to the wrong address, the driver and his mate said the woman took one look and rushed them into the house, they both felt something was wrong so they phoned us back, we assured them they were at the wrong address and they left.

They would not tell us which address they took it too
    but said the woman acted dodgy thats why they phoned to confirm.

Our son last year was getting fed during the night through a nose feeder, we got monthly deliveries of the food which some months would go missing, one of the drivers commented that he had delivered it to the wrong house and noticed in the yard loads of boxes of feed.

Its getting ridiculous that we think twice about getting deliveries.

Its just plain stupid to have 3 addreses the same in a 1.5 mile radius, but what can we do.

If a delivery goes missing, can I phone the police if the company confirms it has been delievered or am I just wasting my time.

Well surely as you know there are only 3 addresses it could be (one being your own) then it is one of the other two addresses?

I'd report it to the local Police!
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. As far as I know, it's a criminal offence to keep someone else's mail even when it's delivered to you in error.

You're right it is and, remembering from my legal journalism training (although going back a good few years), whoever is taking in the items is also likely to be in breach of the Theft Act as she's obtaining property (ie goods) by deception.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its happens again, I'm going to visit the Police and see what they can do.

Thanks for all your advice
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    There are no Church Roads in or near Buckingham. There is a Church Street and a Church Close off it in the adjoining village of Maids Moreton.

Hence why I said 'or something similar'. All I remember was that the road name had something to do with churches.