Humax HDR-2000T - Recording from Buffer?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
I have searched the forums, but couldn't find an answer to this.

Can anyone confirm whether the HDR-2000T can record from the live TV buffer?

I'm sure it can, but just want to be 100% certain before forking out for one to replace my YouView box ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you press the record button at any point, it will start recording the entire programme from that point onwards. "Pause live TV" works in the same way, except that when you press "pause", it holds it in memory rather than making a copy on the hard disk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply, and apologies for being a bit vague ;-)

That wasn't quite what I meant. My trusty old PVR9200T used to maintain a rolling buffer of everything you watched on the hard disk, through which you could rewind at will and continue watching from an earlier time. The YouView box also does the same. What the YouView box doensn't do, but the old 9200T did, was allow you to start recording a programme from an earlier point in the buffer.

For example, say I was in the middle of watching the X Factor (!) and I suddenly decide I'd like to record the whole show right from the beginning. I could push rewind, and "spool" back to the start of the show, then push the Record button, and the recording would start from the point I'd spooled back to.

I believe most modern PVRs do better than this, and will automatically record the entire programme right from the start when the record button is pressed at any time during the programme (assuming it's all in the buffer).

It's this functionality I just want to be sure is available on the HDR-2000T - i.e. the ability to begin recording from an earlier point in time, if the programme is buffered.

If you see what I mean :-)
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingerbobs wrote: »

Yes it can. You have to rewind or jump back to the point that you want the recording to start and then press the 'REC' button on the remote control. To adjust when you want the recording to stop press 'REC' again to display the choices.

Although the buffer is maintained for all live programmes being watched, if you are already recording 2 programmes you will have to wait for 1 of the other recordings to finish before recording from the live buffer.
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Yes it can. You have to rewind or jump back to the point that you want the recording to start and then press the 'REC' button on the remote control. To adjust when you want the recording to stop press 'REC' again to display the choices.

Although the buffer is maintained for all live progarmmes being watched, if you are already recording 2 programmes you will have to wait for 1 of the other recordings to finish before recording from the live buffer.

Perfect! Thank you very much.

I'll be off out tomorrow to procure one :)
    Forum Member
    Wow! Isn't it quick!

Pity the "TV Portal" doesn't work. Just complains about being unable to connect to network (I know the network is working because it's picked up an IP address via DHCP, and I can even FTP into the thing and copy files off it - wonderful!)

Any ideas how I can get TV Portal to work?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humax seem to have real [problems with internet stuff. Freetime on freesat on their boxes has been off for 6 weeks now (well off and on, works for some not for others) so problems with this do not seem surprising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity the "TV Portal" doesn't work. Just complains about being unable to connect to network (I know the network is working because it's picked up an IP address via DHCP, and I can even FTP into the thing and copy files off it - wonderful!)
    Any ideas how I can get TV Portal to work?
    It's working for me right now, with the HDR-2000T. Have another go.
    I can even FTP into the thing and copy files off it - wonderful!
    As far as the HDR-2000T recordings are concerned the FTP is just for archive purposes. All recordings remain encrypted and only playable using the original HDR-2000T that recorded them and the 2 (or 3) sidecar files that accompany the main ts file. To decrypt the standard definition files they need to be transferred via USB, which can be a slow process. If you want to expoert via USB check that both power-off and automatic power down are off and just leave it!
    Forum Member
    It's working for me right now, with the HDR-2000T. Have another go.
    Yes, it's working now. I didn't change anything so no sure why it failed initially.
    As far as the HDR-2000T recordings are concerned the FTP is just for archive purposes. All recordings remain encrypted and only playable using the original HDR-2000T that recorded them and the 2 (or 3) sidecar files that accompany the main ts file. To decrypt the standard definition files they need to be transferred via USB, which can be a slow process. If you want to expoert via USB check that both power-off and automatic power down are off and just leave it!
    Thanks for the advice. That's disappointing though. I knew HD content would be encrypted, but I was all excited when I thought I'd be able to just copy SD content off via FTP. :(

I've also noticed the on-screen graphics are not displayed when listening to radio channels. I just get a black screen. Is that normal?
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get a black screen when listening to The Archers.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. That's disappointing though. I knew HD content would be encrypted, but I was all excited when I thought I'd be able to just copy SD content off via FTP. :(
    You can use Foxy to make the HD content capable of decryption in the same way as SD.
    I've also noticed the on-screen graphics are not displayed when listening to radio channels. I just get a black screen. Is that normal?
    Yes normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ondine wrote: »
    I get a black screen when listening to The Archers.
    Yes normal.
    I get the broadcaster's graphics (which for BBC has the programme/track information) for 3 minutes until the flying clock kicks in which is on a black background. I presume the 3 of you get the flying clock and it’s not just a plain black screen?
    Forum Member
    I get the broadcaster's graphics (which for BBC has the programme/track information) for 3 minutes until the flying clock kicks in which is on a black background. I presume the 3 of you get the flying clock and it’s not just a plain black screen?
    Plain black screen (no graphics) for me, until the clock appears.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: I've just tried 25 radio channels on my HDR-2000T. Graphics were shown on all 25 radio channel after an average of 10 seconds.

I wonder why there is a difference. When using the old software I actioned a default setting almost as soon as I got it out if the box, but with the new software (1.01.06) I haven't yet.

I presume that you don't have an issue with the BBC red button or channel 200?
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have searched the forums, but couldn't find an answer to this.

I'm sure it can, but just want to be 100% certain before forking out for one to replace my YouView box ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know if the Humax DTR-T2000 can do this as well. At the minute I'm torn between the DTR with Youview and the HDR-2000T without it and I would appreciate any help to allow me to make my decision.
    Forum Member
    :confused: I've just tried 25 radio channels on my HDR-2000T. Graphics were shown on all 25 radio channel after an average of 10 seconds.

I wonder why there is a difference. When using the old software I actioned a default setting almost as soon as I got it out if the box, but with the new software (1.01.06) I haven't yet.

I presume that you don't have an issue with the BBC red button or channel 200?

This issue seems to have fixed itself - I now have the graphics on all radio channels. That is until the annoying clock "screensaver" appears.

Unfortunately, I now have another issue: Most days, when the box has been in standby overnight, when I turn it on, the front-panel light changes from red to blue, but the box then promptly freezes. The TV receives no HDMI input, and no buttons have any effect. I have to disconnect and reconnect the power cable to bring it back to life.

Then, after that has happened, the first time I turn it on, it seems to forget to spin up the hard drive. The picture appears instantly, and I can use it to view live channels, but no PVR functionality is available. I have to switch off (to standby) then back on again, whereupon it spins up the hard drive and all is well.

Every day, the same pattern, but doesn't seem to happen when the box has only been in standby for a short time - only after an overnight shutdown. I have updated the software to the latest version, to no avail.

What worries me is if this happens when the box tries to come out of standby to make a recording. If I can't trust it to make recordings, it's no good to me :-(

Also, extremely annoyingly, the YouView remote also controls the HDR-2000T, so they cannot be used alongside each other in the same room :-(

Edit: Oh, and one other annoying thing - when the box comes out of standby, the RF passthrough is interrupted briefly! It's only about 1 second, but enough to mess up any recordings happening on downstream devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, extremely annoyingly, the YouView remote also controls the HDR-2000T, so they cannot be used alongside each other in the same room :-(

This is easy to fix.

Press "0" and "OK" simultaneously until a message appears on the TV then enter a number 2-6 and that will resolve the conflict by using different codes. (Make sure the other device is turned off at the time).

EDIT: More eloquent description here. http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/multi-code-function-hdhdr-remote-2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I now have another issue: Most days, when the box has been in standby overnight, when I turn it on, the front-panel light changes from red to blue, but the box then promptly freezes. The TV receives no HDMI input, and no buttons have any effect. I have to disconnect and reconnect the power cable to bring it back to life.

This sounds as if it may be a faulty box. One thing I did notice on mine is problems with CEC so it might be worth checking this is disabled on your TV in case this is causing problems - if you could (temporarily) disconnect the HDMI and use SCART instead this would show if the problem is HDMI related.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    This is easy to fix.

Press "0" and "OK" simultaneously until a message appears on the TV then enter a number 2-6 and that will resolve the conflict by using different codes. (Make sure the other device is turned off at the time).

Sorted! Thank you :)
    bobcar wrote: »
    This sounds as if it may be a faulty box. One thing I did notice on mine is problems with CEC so it might be worth checking this is disabled on your TV in case this is causing problems - if you could (temporarily) disconnect the HDMI and use SCART instead this would show if the problem is HDMI related.

Good idea. Tomorrow morning, I will disconnect the HDMI cable before switching the Humax on, and see what happens. I have the SCART hooked up to a DVD recorder, so I can watch the output via that.

Edit: Forgot to say that I have disabled CEC on the TV already. I didn't like the fact that turning the Blu-ray player off caused the TV to go off, and vice-versa, so disabled it the day I bought the telly, and it's never been back on :)
    Forum Member
    Yes it can. You have to rewind or jump back to the point that you want the recording to start and then press the 'REC' button on the remote control.

It's crap! You can't rewind and record part of the previous programme if the next programme has already started.

Also slightly annoying: when you press record, the viewing position jumps back to live.

And there is no "playback recording" feature as there was on the 9200T either.

I would be tempted to take the thing back and get a refund, if I didn't know it would be impossible to get anything better. Why have they made it worse than the 9200T?
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    It's crap! You can't rewind and record part of the previous programme if the next programme has already started.
    I just managed to do that. However, it does mis-identify the recorded programme as the current one. But it does record the previous programme (from where you press record).
    Also slightly annoying: when you press record, the viewing position jumps back to live.
    True!
    And there is no "playback recording" feature as there was on the 9200T either.
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    Whilst recording the previous+current programme, the recording exists in the media list (with the wrong title) and can be played back.
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I just managed to do that. However, it does mis-identify the recorded programme as the current one. But it does record the previous programme (from where you press record).

Did you try to play back that recording? When I do so, the screen simply blanks for a fraction of a second then the Media list appears again. It's reported as a 27-min recording, but it's impossible to play back. To add insult to injury, the attempt to play back the recording clears the live buffer, leaving you with no way of watching the programme.
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    Whilst recording the previous+current programme, the recording exists in the media list (with the wrong title) and can be played back.

On the 9200, if you were currently watching a recorded programme, you could push the record button and a new recording would be created, essentially a "copy" of the one you're watching, but from the point you pressed record, until the point you pressed stop. So you could create a new recording that consisted of a section of an existing recording. This was referred to in the manual as "playback recording" and it doesn't exist on the HDR-2000T.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Did you try to play back that recording? When I do so, the screen simply blanks for a fraction of a second then the Media list appears again. It's reported as a 27-min recording, but it's impossible to play back. To add insult to injury, the attempt to play back the recording clears the live buffer, leaving you with no way of watching the programme.
    Well, obviously I tried to play back the recording otherwise I wouldn't have added the comment that it worked. It suggests to me that there is a fault with your 2000T as this should be possible. I suppose you could try a reset or even reformat the hard disk. But given that it must be a new machine I'd be tempted to return it - especially as you seem to be so unhappy with it.
    On the 9200, if you were currently watching a recorded programme, you could push the record button and a new recording would be created, essentially a "copy" of the one you're watching, but from the point you pressed record, until the point you pressed stop. So you could create a new recording that consisted of a section of an existing recording. This was referred to in the manual as "playback recording" and it doesn't exist on the HDR-2000T.

Ah, I see what you mean (and I should have made sense of your original post as I used to use this facility on a 9150T). The 2000T has no on-board editing facilities and doesn't allow this.
    Forum Member
    Well, obviously I tried to play back the recording otherwise I wouldn't have added the comment that it worked. It suggests to me that there is a fault with your 2000T as this should be possible. I suppose you could try a reset or even reformat the hard disk. But given that it must be a new machine I'd be tempted to return it - especially as you seem to be so unhappy with it.

Sorry, yes, I just spotted your final sentence stating that it worked :blush:

I wouldn't say I was unhappy with the box really. I'm disappointed that it isn't better than it is, and that some features which I'd grown to like on my old 9200T are missing from it. But as a PVR, it's better than the YouView box.

Assuming my issues so far are down to a dodgy unit, or bad luck, I would say I'm contented with it, rather than delighted.
    Forum Member
    Is it possible to find out how large a particular recording is, i.e. how much disk space it takes up?
    Forum Member
    Went away for two days this week, and came back yesterday to find a crashed Humax.

Can't be normal - I'll have to take it back to the shop and swap it for another one.