The Cuckoo's Calling - for BBC Drama

conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
Forum Member
✭✭
Fantastic news that JK Rowling's ( or Robert Galbraith as she writes as ) The Cuckoo's Calling and the follow up book The Silkworm have been bought by BBC Drama and will go into production soon.

The character of Cormoran Strike, one legged detective is already a LEDGE as far as I am concerned. Fantastic books, fantastic character, just hope its now cast properly and BBC will have a ratings winner on their hands.

Comments

• MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    And every Batman needs a well cast Robin. :)
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on a mo, until it was 'leaked' that Robert Galbraith was J K Rowling, The Cuckoo Calling was at best a mediocre mystery, that suddenly became a best seller, on the back of this 'revelation' as to who was the real author.

For the BBC to jump on the same bandwagon is slightly insulting to the viewer.

In the last twelve months I have read at least half a dozen better murder mystery novels, including the Kate Shackleton books by Frances Brody, that have the added advantages of a period setting, post WW1 and a female heroine. Just right for BBC box ticking But of course they do not have the advantage of being from the publishing behemoth that is J K Rowling. It's lazy sourcing.

Sorry not something I am looking forward too, and BTW I have read The Cuckoo's Calling and as I said, not impressed, and pretty obvious too.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    That's great news, I loved both books and Cormoran Strike, trying to think who could play that part but I'm struggling! In my head he was a slightly more grizzled and larger Jerome Flynn but then I'm rubbish with mental imagery.

I enjoyed the books for themselves, not their author, I read a lot of crime and for me these are up with the best, it's great that there are plenty of different authors out there so we can all find styles we enjoy, isn't it. I'll really look forward to this, hope I don't have to wait too long!
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the book was pretty poor. You could read the first and last chapter, and get the same out of it. The middle two thirds of the book really was all just filler