Options

Mobility Scooters...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I don't know if there is any training for people who get them but there should be! There are quite a few round where my mum lives and some of the people who own them are lethal.

They seem to think they can just ride these things anywhere they like and to hell with other road users and pedestrians.

One old guy belts along the pavement in his while reading a newspaper. One old biddy slammed into me one day from behind - apparently it was my fault because I wasn't looking behind me at the time. It's like geriatric dodgems at times.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    gsj06 wrote: »
    Sorry but I am afraid you are wrong, class 3 mobility scooters have to be road taxed (it's the law)they have a raod speed setting (8 MPH0 and pavement setting (4 MPH) and they may legally use either

Why would you drag a 3 year old thread up just to tell someone they are wrong :confused:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ... should they be used on the road or on the path? I got stuck behind a little old man today pootling along on the road. I couldn't get passed him for ages!

Depends on the motor size, if it was say a 2 litre one, then it has to be used on the road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I don't know about that but I'm quite sure a lot of them are being used these days by people who are simply too fat and lazy to walk...

Same as cars in that respect, then. Come to think of it, why shouldn't they be used by anyone who wants to use one?
  • Options
    Shilo_PittShilo_Pitt Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Did you see the one on tonights Epic Win?

I want one of those (that'll show 'em)!

Had a 125cc motorcyle engine in it !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Mobility scooters are hazardous on the roads to other road users and hazardous on the footpath to pedestrians, they should at a minimum require training and a test then licensed users can use them on the road, never footpaths. Realisticly the same laws that apply to the Segway should apply to these.
  • Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    neither are tractors insured

Tractors driven on the roads have to display a number plate, a tax disc and they have to be insured.