Maths isn't just about memorising

MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
Forum Member
Well it isn't. If you just memorise all the equations, methods, sums, formulae, etc..., as if you are a machine working in a factory, then you will never really understand how it works, so it won't really "click" in your head, if you know what I mean. If you are constantly told "just do that way and it is right" whilst repeating it or and over again, you wouldn't know how to work out an equation, it would have just been drilled into your head without explanation, and then after a while, you'll just keep asking "but why does it work like that" or "but how does it work", resulting in you going in circles, getting mental blocks, getting stuck and not being able to do it. If you understand how a rule works then it is much easier. For subjects like Chemistry, it is just how it is. You just need to memorise the equations because they were just given names by man.

Sorry if I sound boring. But does anyone agree or disagree?

Comments

• Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »
    Well it isn't. If you just memorise all the equations, methods, sums, formulae, etc..., as if you are a machinery working in a factory, then you will never really understand how it works, so it won't really "click" in your head, if you know what I mean. If you are constantly told "just do that way and it is right" whilst repeating it or and over again, you wouldn't know how to work out an equation, it would have just been drilled into your head without explanation, and then after a while, you'll just keep asking "but why does it work like that" or "but how does it work", resulting in you going in circles, getting mental blocks, getting stuck and not being able to do it. If you understand how a rule works then it is much easier. For subjects like Chemistry, it is just how it is. You just need to memorise the equations because they were just given names by man.

I agree - it's very boring
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    It's also about having fun.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Moloko wrote: »
    . . . as if you are a machinery working in a factory. . .

That doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Don't apologise for sounding boring, I'm sure its not your fault. :eek:

As for agreeing or disagreeing that would involve having to care one way or another, and I don't. :D
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think math is a bit of both.

For learning simple arithmatic, like times tables etc, memorising is the easiest route.

For algebra etc, practice makes perfect.

Theorems have to be learned by rote IMO. Especially for exams.

All in all the basics have to be memorised, for without the basic formulae, all your answers are going to be wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with maths is that, it feels so rewarding and you feel so good about yourself when you manage to work something out. But as soon as your stuck on someting, you remember why you originally hate maths :rolleyes::D

Last week I had to convert KB numbers into GB and other bytes. Felt good after doing it because I got it right and managed to do it. But as soon as I had to convert numbers into Binery (computer language) I thought to myself "Shit, now I know why I dislike maths" :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way, maths gives me a headache, hence the closest I have to a maths qualification being a 'u' grade at GCSE.
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    That doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

Just corrected it. ;)
    As for agreeing or disagreeing that would involve having to care one way or another, and I don't. :D

I like Maths, but there is just nothing else that was on my mind so I plucked it out of sheer boredom. :D