Options

Scott & Joanne

Comments

• Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sorry for Joanne being landed with such a duffer. This year seems to be a vintage year for celebs who can't even walk to music let alone dance to it :o
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's great, give her time.
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for this week. Heard Scott on the radio hinting at this weeks' dance. They're dancing to a song from a popular family movie with possible 'ridiculous' costume, hmmmmm. All these 'themes' and comedy costumes are getting a bit silly. 1 or two per show, fine but pretty much every flippin' dance is too much. I blame (evil) Moira Ross 😉

Joanne seemed to have toned it down on Saturday, it must be mind boggling to find herself doing big photoshoots, interviews and being on a huge tv show. I think I'd be a bit giddy at first too. I like her and Scott. It must be very demoralising to dance all day and still be pretty pants at it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a funny moment from Sundays results
    https://twitter.com/scott_mills/status/518838433650061314
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we've all seen Strictly long enough to know that even the best Pros can fall short (choreography wise) when they've been dealt an awful tune on top of having to train a less talented celeb. In the case of Joanne, let's give her a chance. She's had some awful tunes to use, Rock DJ is c**p and that Spice Girls track was even more so considering the dances they were trying to marry them to. Yes I'm sure there could be an argument that a World Champion should do better, but again, I don't think any Pro on the show (imo) has had a 100% success rate at choreographing (and I can easily direct that to even my own fav loved Pros over the years).

Either Joanne will have enough time this series to improve with Scott (in the all round sense) if they are gifted some more weeks, or, if invited back next year, she'll hopefull show us then what her best reallly can be (just like other Pros have had the benifit of being able to prove). People mention Janette last year, but other examples inc Aliona in her first year when she got stick for not adapting her dancing to Rav's level, but then after got to the final twice inc winning with Matt. Then further along the Pro line, I don't think (again imo) that Robin's choreography in general has ever really impressed me. Artem too has had forgettable and less engaging routines with lesser dancer such as Ferne, but in contrast produced magic sometimes with the likes of Kara and Natalie, so there is a tipping scale of fortunes for Pros in contrasting years. At any time a Pro can have a say, dancing version of writers' block (and very unfortunately so when it happens on Strictly).

As for Scott's personality, it doesn't bother me, so far. He clearly is trying, but if he doesn't produce something at least promising next week (in relation to his level of ability and those similarly of his level) then it will be hard to support him against others that are improving at a faster rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm secretly enjoying just how far out of his depth Scott is, I'll be voting to keep him in, so Joanne can drum it into him.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't there 101 different types of World Champion you can be in Dance Sport though, also is her title from the International Olympic Committee affiliated body or that other rival body?

By the looks of a quick Google the international regulation of Dance Sport is all over the place for a discipline that wants to be considered a sport.

I don't have a major issue with Joanne though, just wondering what the story is with her title.

But I kinda feel the same about Scott, he rubs me up the wrong way on this, its early days though but I feel he'll be one of those celebs I liked more before seeing him on a reality show.

Jo and her partner, Paolo Bosco are the current World Showdance Champions. This is something completely different to being a World Ballroom Champion.
  • Options
    water_carrierwater_carrier Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is doing her best with a partner that, sadly, isn't very good. I hope she is given another chance for next year and she gets a partner that can actually put some effort in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold out much hope for this week. Heard Scott on the radio hinting at this weeks' dance. They're dancing to a song from a popular family movie with possible 'ridiculous' costume, hmmmmm. All these 'themes' and comedy costumes are getting a bit silly.

E.T.

They're going to borrow Pendledrama's flying bicycle.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she is doing her best with a partner that, sadly, isn't very good. I hope she is given another chance for next year and she gets a partner that can actually put some effort in.

I believe Scott is definitely putting the effort in, but some people take to dancing like ducks to water, others just don't no matter how hard they try .
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have never warmed to him & gone off him even more since seeing him on Strictly.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling he might stick around for a couple of weeks more than he should. Him or Judy should definitely go next.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    bendymixer wrote: »
    I hope they give her another year - Scott is one of the duffers and don't think anyone could do much with him - give her a straight theme and decent music would help - as others have said look how much better Jeanette is this year.

There are only really two main dance bodies and joanne has danced at highest levels in both although there are different catergories within the bodies themselves.

Dont think this was widely seen - a short from Channel 4 about Fathers and Daughters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpI3rXPQFLU&list=UUBqifHo-tqfWye-GMyyUV1Q gives a small insight into her - think she is worth keeping for another year

Nice clip - thanks for sharing. I love Kevin already and although I haven't quite warmed to Joanne's SCD performances yet, she obviously has had great competitive success and a lot to offer the programme.
  • Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    I'm finding Scott is way out of his depth.

I'm finding Joanne far too me me me and OTT and face pulling.

Strictly is about showcasing what a pro can achieve with a celeb by showcasing the celeb - not using the celeb so the pro can show off.

Take the tango for example. Joanne should have done many many basic tango figures and not shown off by doing her signature back bending move (and also advertising it beforehand). Actually to be honest I think she was lucky that Scott didn't drop her with this move because he struggled with it.

And with the CCC Scott had either failed to take in the basics of the CCC like lock steps or foot pressure to enable hip action or Joanne hadn't even taught him them or just done a CCC from the waist up and ignored what was going on with the feet.

And also she is not a girl (teen girly giggled) but a woman - and should act like it.

I thought KFG was one of the most irritating OTT pros last year but I have to say he is positively normal compared with his sister.

I was looking forward to Joanne coming on the show with her ballroom background - but quite frankly she has been a big disappointment to me so far (even in the pro dances) and certainly completely out of her depth choreography wise. I can only presume that her partner did all the choreography in her professional dances.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some unkown reason I thought Scott was going to be good, but instead he's shockingly bad. I haven't been that taken so far by Joanne and it's looking like we won't see that much of her this series, but I hope she gets asked back next year so we get to know her better.

I took against Natalie in her first series, only to completely change my opinion of her after seeing her on the Pro Tour (now she's my favourite female pro) and that makes me less quick to judge these days.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    I'm finding Scott is way out of his depth.

I'm finding Joanne far too me me me and OTT and face pulling.

Strictly is about showcasing what a pro can achieve with a celeb by showcasing the celeb - not using the celeb so the pro can show off.

Take the tango for example. Joanne should have done many many basic tango figures and not shown off by doing her signature back bending move (and also advertising it beforehand). Actually to be honest I think she was lucky that Scott didn't drop her with this move because he struggled with it.

And with the CCC Scott had either failed to take in the basics of the CCC like lock steps or foot pressure to enable hip action or Joanne hadn't even taught him them or just done a CCC from the waist up and ignored what was going on with the feet.

And also she is not a girl (teen girly giggled) but a woman - and should act like it.

I thought KFG was one of the most irritating OTT pros last year but I have to say he is positively normal compared with his sister.

I was looking forward to Joanne coming on the show with her ballroom background - but quite frankly she has been a big disappointment to me so far (even in the pro dances) and certainly completely out of her depth choreography wise. I can only presume that her partner did all the choreography in her professional dances.

I saw quite a lot of tango content and a remarkable amount of the dance in hold which is a rarity these days on Strictly, it just wasn't executed well and the theme and song just didn't help the entire theme of the song. That cha cha which I do agree was dire with, but it did, for better or worse, showcase Scott instead of going with the stand stock still and prance around the male celeb route.

Also, I must be missing something because I've found her quite reserved outside of her dancing on the show. Let's Scott do all the talking, and doesn't really shove herself to the forefront, unless I'm missing it? :confused:

As for the pro dancing, her topline rivals Natalie in her positioning and level of recline in hold for me aka beautiful and balanced.

It's amazing how quickly some pros are judged so succinctly on here! :o But opinions and all that. :)
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    SaraV1308 wrote: »

Although, looking through some of her competition winning dances on Youtube you can see versions of what she was trying to do in that tango. So maybe she isn't 'out if her depth' so much as unable to simplify enough for beginners (as well as failing to tone down the exaggeration of movement and facial expression for a tv as opposed to venue audience)? On the other hand I think KFG is very good at choreographing to his celebs strengths from what I saw last year and so far this. Susanna was an extrovert who was fit and good performer but not capable of much dance refinement. He showcased her very well. His waltz for Frankie was masterful is playing to her more fragile (but more accomplished dancer) style. I don't blame him for that 50's style Charleston debacle given the music and theming will have been foisted on him by the producers.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw quite a lot of tango content and a remarkable amount of the dance in hold which is a rarity these days on Strictly, it just wasn't executed well and the theme and song just didn't help the entire theme of the song. That cha cha which I do agree was dire with, but it did, for better or worse, showcase Scott instead of going with the stand stock still and prance around the male celeb route.

Also, I must be missing something because I've found her quite reserved outside of her dancing on the show. Let's Scott do all the talking, and doesn't really shove herself to the forefront, unless I'm missing it? :confused:

As for the pro dancing, her topline rivals Natalie in her positioning and level of recline in hold for me aka beautiful and balanced.

It's amazing how quickly some pros are judged so succinctly on here! :o But opinions and all that. :)

Well said, I fully agree with all your comments. Did viewers miss her Ballroom with Alijaz in the pro dance? It was amazing. With a celeb that cannot master any dancing skills, there is only so much you can do. Jo is doing the best she can with,sadly, someone that has no feel for dance at all. Dreadfully frustrating for her.
  • Options
    Raven_CrowRaven_Crow Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Kinda O/T but what is up with his pouting? Is it a nerves thing or does he think it's attractive or what?

Scott's pouty expression put me in mind of Private Pike in Dad's Army ... you know those scenes where Pikey takes a strop?
    In fact I think there is something a bit Pike-like about him in general even when he's reverted to normal.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tornado wrote: »
    My issue is that it comes across like Joanne isn't choreographing for an adult man but for a child. Both the start of the cha cha (with its OTT DJ moves) and the tango with the colour coded bedroom thing were quite cringey and awkward. Scott MIlls is 40 years old so I have no idea why you'd get him to do these childish things. I honestly think that Scott and Joanne have had the worst song draw of anyone without complaint - doing a Cha Cha to Rock DJ followed by a Tango to the Spice Girls is just mean- but I still wouldn't do the light and fluffy stuff. It's a tango, so dance it like that, don't be cutesy.
    But how much of the gimmicks are Joanne's doing, and how much are the producers' doing?
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    But how much of the gimmicks are Joanne's doing, and how much are the producers' doing?

Unfortunately I think this is the question that needs to be asked for every routine these day. :(

*waves*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On It Takes Two Scott indicated he wasn't happy with being forced to do a comic routine this Saturday.

Apparently he is going to be a crab
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Joanne's cha cha choreography was quite naff, but her tango choreography was ok. Scott is not very good at all and not a performer either, but, as has been pointed out, at least Joanne is respectful enough to get him to dance rather than dance round him. As far as her teaching and choreography skills are concerned the jury is out for me at the moment (she has only done 2 dances) although I have been a bit disappointed. On a personal level she seems to be really nice and on a professional level a great dancer.

I knew before the series started that those posters who have a big personal dislike of Kevin would also take a huge personal dislike of Joanne. Sometimes I feel that DS is so predictable, I could write some of the posts in advance of the series.
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Well said, I fully agree with all your comments. Did viewers miss her Ballroom with Alijaz in the pro dance? It was amazing. With a celeb that cannot master any dancing skills, there is only so much you can do. Jo is doing the best she can with,sadly, someone that has no feel for dance at all. Dreadfully frustrating for her.

Totally agree with yours and FiercelyHip comments
  • Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I thought Joanne's cha cha choreography was quite naff, but her tango choreography was ok. Scott is not very good at all and not a performer either, but, as has been pointed out, at least Joanne is respectful enough to get him to dance rather than dance round him. As far as her teaching and choreography skills are concerned the jury is out for me at the moment (she has only done 2 dances) although I have been a bit disappointed. On a personal level she seems to be really nice and on a professional level a great dancer.

I knew before the series started that those posters who have a big personal dislike of Kevin would also take a huge personal dislike of Joanne. Sometimes I feel that DS is so predictable, I could write some of the posts in advance of the series.

agree