Options

Cheryl Cole set to become first British Female Artist to achieve 5 #1

GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2822294/Cheryl-Fernandez-Versini-poses-sexy-leopard-bodysuit-remains-course-make-chart-history.html?offset=0&max=100&jumpTo=comment-68050464#comment-68050464

I'm no Cheryl hater and I have liked a couple of her songs but it is a sad day in British music history if she is going to become the first British female artist to achieve 5 #1 singles especially with great artists like Adele etc. She is currently tied with Geri Halliwell and Rita Ora for 4 #1 singles, which is a sad fact alone.

She has been very lucky with a great PR machine, divorced from a footballer, judge on a talent show and good looks. Without half of those things I doubt she would have been as successful as she has.

Comments

• Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That saddens me as well. Especially with people like, as you say, Adele and Paloma Faith not having the kind of success. Now, they're musically talented.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Cheryl. Great achievement :).
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    That saddens me as well. Especially with people like, as you say, Adele and Paloma Faith not having the kind of success. Now, they're musically talented.

I don't know about you, but I consider Adele much more successful than Cheryl will ever even dream of being.

Well done to her
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a nightmare
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A number 1 doesn't mean anything anymore. Means absolutely nothing. I'll give you an example...Drunk In Love by Beyonce got to number 9 in the charts...it never reached number 1. Songs around that time which did hit number 1, were out of the top 40 a couple of weeks later, yet Drunk In Love remained in the top 25 for nearly 3 months...it outsold those tracks that went to number 1. The real money is in albums and that's what artists really want to do well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A number 1 doesn't mean anything anymore. Means absolutely nothing. I'll give you an example...Drunk In Love by Beyonce got to number 9 in the charts...it never reached number 1. Songs around that time which did hit number 1, were out of the top 40 a couple of weeks later, yet Drunk In Love remained in the top 25 for nearly 3 months...it outsold those tracks that went to number 1. The real money is in albums and that's what artists really want to do well.

No-one remembers how long a song was in the top 40 for though. They remember number 1's and they remember when someone breaks a record.
  • Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    No-one remembers how long a song was in the top 40 for though. They remember number 1's and they remember when someone breaks a record.

i agree!!
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and they also remember that these days few people even care who is number one in the charts.. And precious few remember the tracks that get there. Cheryl Cole and her 5 number ones. Stop people on the street and they won't be able to name any of them no let alone in 15 years time.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me want to go back to the days when there was huge excitement when The Jam went straight to number 1 and it was the first time since Slade had done it in the early 70s. And we are talking about CLASSIC number 1s. Still, if that is the biggest selling single this week then it deserves to be there.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her career is an illusion, she isn't in the music industry
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Well done Cheryl. Great achievement :).

Really it isn't.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Proves to me what I have said all along and that Cheryl needs x factor to sell. another sad day for music!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Proves to me what I have said all along and that Cheryl needs x factor to sell. another sad day for music!

I'm her defence, Call My Name and Crazy Stupid Love didn't have Xf promo and this track shot straight to number 1 before the performance..
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they have had success. Both Adele and Paloma sell more albums then singles. Number 1 singles really isn't everything and it isn't a defining moment of any artist's career. It just sounds impressive and looks impressive on a bit of paper.

A lack of number 1 singles never did Kate Bush or Annie Lennox any harm.

More people will be talking about adele, listening to adele and still buying her albums in another 10 years time. I doubt the same will be happening with Cheryl. She will likely have been dropped by then and having a career resurgence in whatever big reality show she is apart of at that time.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    It's only the UK which laps up Cheryls music though isn't it ? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

She's very hit and miss for me.
    I loved her first album.
    I also think a miillion lights was a good album.
    The rest of what she has released is dirge
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    It's only the UK which laps up Cheryls music though isn't it ? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

She's very hit and miss for me.
    I loved her first album.
    I also think a miillion lights was a good album.
    The rest of what she has released is dirge

Pretty much, 3 Words the song was a hit in Australia and some of her other singles have done well in some European countries but thats about it.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely pathetic thread this is, full of negativity.
    I for one am happy for Cheryl, it's nice to see someone who has worked really hard for years and years still do really well years later. Fanbases can be so fickle these days.
  • Options
    rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is far rather Cheryl than Rita Ora! Plus I Don't Care is a great pop song.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If people think that getting a number 1 is the measure of success then that's dillusion on their part. It's sales that matter, not number 1's. Yes people might remember that Cheryl has got 5 number 1's and yes she has broken a record, but when it comes down to it, it's sales that are the real sign of success...not the fact that you sold the most songs in your week of release. You don't have to sell hardly anything to get a number 1 these days.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If people think that getting a number 1 is the measure of success then that's dillusion on their part. It's sales that matter, not number 1's. Yes people might remember that Cheryl has got 5 number 1's and yes she has broken a record, but when it comes down to it, it's sales that are the real sign of success...not the fact that you sold the most songs in your week of release. You don't have to sell hardly anything to get a number 1 these days.

Whilst i agree on the sales being important - single sales are at an all time high so I would disagree about you having to sell 'hardly anything'
  • Options
    Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 cracking pop songs though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    What an absolutely pathetic thread this is, full of negativity.
    I for one am happy for Cheryl, it's nice to see someone who has worked really hard for years and years still do really well years later. Fanbases can be so fickle these days.

Worked hard? She got lucky by auditioning for a talent show and got a place in a girlband. She then got signed for a solo deal by the same label who managed the girlband she was in. But saw even bigger success by sitting behind a desk telling people who are more talented then her that they are not talented

That isn't working hard. That's just pure luck

People who work hard are people like Ed Sheeran, who spent years busking on the street, doing hundreds of gigs, distributing his own self made Ep's and then attracting a record label. That's working hard.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People will remember Drunk In Love more than I Don't Care in years to come.
  • Options
    IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    Worked hard? She got lucky by auditioning for a talent show and got a place in a girlband. She then got signed for a solo deal by the same label who managed the girlband she was in. But saw even bigger success by sitting behind a desk telling people who are more talented then her that they are not talented

That isn't working hard. That's just pure luck

People who work hard are people like Ed Sheeran, who spent years busking on the street, doing hundreds of gigs, distributing his own self made Ep's and then attracting a record label. That's working hard.

It's both working hard. Just some music snobs seem to think there is easy ways to do it. Cheryl works hard, it's obvious. As does just about everyone in the music industry.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Careful now...

"POP star Cheryl Fernandez-Versini has branded people "ignorant" for not calling her by her new name."