Can someone explain why Taylor Swift is so successful?

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    RoadRover wrote: »
    Yeh..I think you missed the point. DId u actually read the title.....

No it's definitely you who have missed the point.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good singles artist who produces decent albums worth returning to while though her live vocals aren't great she puts on enough of a show to distract from this. As others have pointed out she can write lyrically and has a good ear for melody; if she had not made it as an artist she would have been songwriting for others imho.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    LOL. That's the persona she puts out.

Well obviously. It's not like she doesn't take her career seriously but she's willing to poke fun at her image and doesn't really give off a pretentious vibe. She seems to me to be more relatable than the likes of Beyoncé or Lady Gaga.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's incredibly smart.
    She may come across as "awkward" but she has a self awareness about her and plays it up (Shake It Off video).
    I think many would find this awkwardness endearing and it makes her more relatable as a popstar too.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The awkward and adorable nerd routine is annoying..feels really fake and put on, stop trying to pretend you're a down to earth regular person when you're a multi millionaire who looks like Barbie.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand it either particularly in reference to 1989. It's an album not too dissimilar to what katy perry does even involving her entire team yet is lauded as one of the best albums ever.

Add to the fact she's written the same song for the past 8 years has zero charisma and just snacks of Middle America blandness it defeats me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I don't understand it either particularly in reference to 1989. It's an album not too dissimilar to what katy perry does even involving her entire team yet is lauded as one of the best albums ever.

Add to the fact she's written the same song for the past 8 years has zero charisma and just snacks of Middle America blandness it defeats me.

It really, really hasn't been.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    The awkward and adorable nerd routine is annoying..feels really fake and put on, stop trying to pretend you're a down to earth regular person when you're a multi millionaire who looks like Barbie.

People can be more than one thing, can't they?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It really, really hasn't been.

It really, really has you only have to look t the reviews .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Find me a review saying that it's one of the greatest albums ever.
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member

It may not be one of the greatest albums ever, although that is all subjective, but it's a brilliant modern pop record full of melody and memorqble hooks. She's really stepped it up a gear with 1989 IMO. I do really like Taylor Swift even though I'm probably not the demographic her musics aimed at. She's far more talented than the likes of Katy Perry, Rhianna and Beyonce if you ask me.
  • Bob_AjobBob_Ajob Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has just won me over. So she must be weaving some sort of magic*

*Catchy pop records that are accessible to everyone.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    It is because she has a young pretty face which is a rare image in Country music.

Being pretty counts for nothing without the work ethic and global marketing. It's a heck of a tough career to do all that and still keep smiling in front of millions.

Not all have that combination though I have both sympathy and respect for Britney Spears whose interest were never the priority of her management.

For a real good lookin gal Faith Hill sets the standard although now a forty something mother of two married to Tim McGraw.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    >cough<

Not sure you want to be mentioning Tim McGraw in a thread about Taylor Swift ;):o:blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of her connection to her audience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of her music. But before she was signed she (apparently) spent four years building a fanbase on myspace, talking to them regularly, finding out what makes them tick and having a relationship with them.

People love music they can relate to, and artists they feel like they know and can trust. Taylor Swift has that connection to her fans that she has worked hard to maintain, communicating with her fans and finding ways to keep them engaged with her content. Which is important if you're going to be successful in the music industry. That's what it is :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member

I agree as I am struggling to find a review of it even being "the best of 2014". I think they must have said it was Taylor greatest album, like, ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Micknsiv wrote: »
    It may not be one of the greatest albums ever, although that is all subjective, but it's a brilliant modern pop record full of melody and memorqble hooks. She's really stepped it up a gear with 1989 IMO. I do really like Taylor Swift even though I'm probably not the demographic her musics aimed at. She's far more talented than the likes of Katy Perry, Rhianna and Beyonce if you ask me.

I like her a lot too and like what I've heard from the record, though I've not listened to the full thing yet. Just pointing out Hav_mor's exaggerations to justify his seeing hatred of her.
    lenny v2 wrote: »
    I agree as I am struggling to find a review of it even being "the best of 2014". I think they must have said it was Taylor greatest album, like, ever.

Yup, completely exaggerating. Most reviews I've seen put it at 7/10 or 3-4 stars.
  • RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    No it's definitely you who have missed the point.

No I didn't. There was no "point".
    Forum Member
    Everytime I see her, I think damn she'd make a handy bottle opener.
    Forum Member

One of the Best albums ever..really?? Yeah it's right up there with Thriller, Nevermind and The Dark Side of the Moon I'm sure lololol
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't really hard to see why she's so successful.

Her relationship with her fans is far far better than any other current pop star if you ask me. She goes above and beyond, she really treats them. Trusting all those fans to hear her album months in advance before anyone else? That's incredibly brave of her. Giving them personal advice on social media, inviting them on her video sets etc. She's very good to them and in return, they are to her.

Secondly, her songs. Some say they sound like a 12 year olds diary, but I disagree. I think she has a very honest and open approach, very confessional and personal. Some of her lyrics are amazing. Sure she has some more simplistic childish ones, as does every pop star at times. Not every single lyric has to be a masterpiece. But her third album, written entirely by her, shows what a great writer she is. And songs like All Too Well and Clean show her maturing in her songs. And a lot of them are sure fire hits because they're so catchy.

Thirdly, her image helps a great deal. She has a very good girl image, she's relatable. Yes she's very pretty, but not in a conventional way. When you see the likes of Rihanna and Katy and Beyoncé with their curves, oozing sexiness, a lot of girls admire that but can't be it. With Taylor she's this tall, thin slightly awkward looking girl. She's pretty and wholesome, as opposed to sexy.

And lastly the girl works herself solid! If she isn't promoting an album, she's touring, making videos, making albums or writing. She never stops. She's good to her team it seems, close with her parents. She's stayed grounded too.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    This might help enlighten you as to why

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2035562
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't really hard to see why she's so successful.

[.....]

In many ways Taylor Swift is s symbol of modern pop music. The business like, customer-focussed, safe, sustainable commodity approach to making music. In contrast to Miley who symbolises a throwback to the bad old days with her bad girl image.

I thought I was reading about a modern day Doris Day from that post.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never really liked taylor swift and used to join in the slagging off of geordiegirl when she claimed taylor swift was the greatest artist ever but since her change of direction to pop i can see why she does better than most of the other artists about - shake it off and we are never are slightly different to what is on offer in 99% of the mainstram at the moment - i still wouldnt buy them but at least they are mildly interesting
  • Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,719
    Forum Member
    She's not generally the type of music I listen to but reading this and d/l her 1989 album... It's very good. I'll definitely give it more listens, my new guilty pleasure.