Fortitude on Sky Atlantic

Comments

• MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The overall filming of the show was good and I thought it was well executed.....

I don't think I will be watching again sadly and I wanted to enjoy it.....but the following reasons were deal breakers for me.....

1. Glaring errors in continuity... The Terminally ill character running through the nightclub with a lighted letter which was burning brightly and pretty fully, then the next scene he lays it in the snow and there is only a third of it gone....maybe this was me but it pulled me out the story.....another with the detective with a torch initially in a bright room.....

2. More of a deal breaker for me was the lack of any sympathy or likeability at all for any of the characters at all....there were all much of a muchness, maybe the fault of the script however.....

3. You had to watch it and fill in sections of story yourself, maybe intentionally but doesn't help following the story. One such scene the ill child leaving the house through the window to find his father...the next you see him tucked up in bed and screams out and his feet are in an awful state.....they could have at least shown him climbing back through the window but maybe again that's me being thick (or perhaps I dozed off and he did climb back through) ;)

I have so much other stuff to watch that I don't feel like neglecting to give this another chance, will wait for reviews and opinions of future episodes to give it another try....
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Intruiging.

Standard thriller? Science fiction? I haven't got a clue what's going on!

So many questions!

Its like a cross between Lost and Twin Peaks!
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Just finished this, I give it a solid 6/10 so far, the opening scene was awesome, but it quickly became apparent that the acting and script are second rate. It picked up for me when DCi Stanley Tucci came on the scene but the hostility to the outside cop coming into someone else's turf was a bit clichéd. Will keep watching.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Re; Ecclestons Character, I can only guess, there will be a lot of reminiscing in the drama as I can't see them flying him to the location for one episode only, but what do I know, apart from the fact I am not a fan of shows that keep looking back......
    Yes, the real story will be told in flashbacks. What's the lab been doing? What is the local cop covering up? Then once everyone's up to speed we'll have the monster horror climax. Could do with more adventurous sex in it though. So far it's been very mechanical.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously they air what has been produced. But, overall Sky has a poor reputation for commitment to their original series, especially dramas.

They spent a lot of money on Sinbad and The Smoke and cancelled them. The Tunnel performed better but still have not officially funded a 2nd series.

Tunnel is coming back according to my friend.

I'm only watching now but Dormer's accent inconsistency is already irritating me, if you can't do a Nordic accent properly then don't try!
  • davversdavvers Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    It seemed to me that especially but not exclusively the Police Chief did a lot of staring and not answering questions put to him. There was too much "keeping us in the dark". Considering this was the first episode with lots of characters being introduced it didn't work for me. Maybe I am just slow on the uptake. :blush:
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seemed to be a lot of people but not much happening. I'll give it another ep but then might give it up.

I don't mind slow burners but this is almost going backwards.
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davvers wrote: »
    It seemed to me that especially but not exclusively the Police Chief did a lot of staring and not answering questions put to him. There was too much "keeping us in the dark". Considering this was the first episode with lots of characters being introduced it didn't work for me. Maybe I am just slow on the uptake. :blush:

As its a 12 parter - granted this was a double episode - I liked all the layers as it gave me plenty to think about, I think this will be very good and I'm intrigued as to how these threads will weave together.

A couple of other things no one else has mentioned, Frank came back covered in blood after his clandestine shagging - who's? - and after the mammoth was put into storage there were a couple of zoom in shots to it, is there something sinister in that ice mass thawing out?

There must be something more to the Gambon character - if he is just a dying drunk intent on causing trouble in his last days then a lesser actor could easily have fitted the bill.
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did the guy cheating have blood on his shirt??
    Forum Member
    Why did the guy cheating have blood on his shirt??
    It will probably be revealed in a flashback that he sneaked off to investigate a body - human or animal.
  • troelshartmanntroelshartmann Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    My summary of the main queries so far (in spoilers just in case):
    1. What were the explorers (stopped by the helicopter) up to?
    2. Why did the inscription on the handcuffs upset one of them when he retrieved his gun?
    3. Why did Frank come back covered with blood after his "encounter" with Elena?
    4. Why was Dan already in Charlie's house and therefore why did he even suspect Vincent at all?
    5. What's the deal with the dead carcass – presumably Liam's original illness is related?
    6. What's the story with Henry (Michael Gambon's character) doing the shooting (or not) right at the start? (Dan was also already at that scene too). And who was his phone call to?
    7. Why was Dan questioning Elena and what's the backstory there aka “the incident”?
    8. Eric – the guy in the bear-trap (the governor’s husband?)- do we know anything about him or what he is lying about?
    9. The pig – just part of the frostbite research?
    10. Any significance in the stuff in the jars in Natalie's house?
    11. At the end was that Jason shacked up with Natalie?
    Forum Member
    2. Why did the inscription on the handcuffs upset one of them when he retrieved his gun?
    4. Why was Dan already in Charlie's house and therefore why did he even suspect Vincent at all?
    5. What's the deal with the dead carcass – presumably Liam's original illness is related?
    6. What's the story with Henry (Michael Gambon's character) doing the shooting (or not) right at the start? (Dan was also already at that scene too). And who was his phone call to?
    7. Why was Dan questioning Elena and what's the backstory there aka “the incident”?
    8. Eric – the guy in the bear-trap (the governor’s husband?)- do we know anything about him or what he is lying about?
    Having read all that, I'll have to watch it again now!! :D
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't disagree with any of your points. But would like to add a couple more:

Fortitude is 'sold' as the safest town in the world, with just 750 (or so) people, where there is no crime. SO:

1) Why do they have such a huge civic facility for the governor?
    2) If there is 'no crime' why do they have such a big police force?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Can't disagree with any of your points. But would like to add a couple more:

Fortitude is 'sold' as the safest town in the world, with just 750 (or so) people, where there is no crime. SO:

1) Why do they have such a huge civic facility for the governor?
    2) If there is 'no crime' why do they have such a big police force?

The population is 7500 or so.
    How many are actual police and how many are search and rescue?
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    As its a 12 parter - granted this was a double episode - I liked all the layers as it gave me plenty to think about, I think this will be very good and I'm intrigued as to how these threads will weave together.

A couple of other things no one else has mentioned, Frank came back covered in blood after his clandestine shagging - who's?
    - and after the mammoth was put into storage there were a couple of zoom in shots to it, is there something sinister in that ice mass thawing out?

There must be something more to the Gambon character - if he is just a dying drunk intent on causing trouble in his last days then a lesser actor could easily have fitted the bill.

I thought perhaps his own, suggesting he is also ill? Probably wrong though...
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do rush him in, but he doesn't make it.

I am so tempted to open this spoiler :)
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the population was said to be around 700 not 7500 because the governor made a joke about being outnumbered by the 3000 odd polar bears.
  • Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone manage to make out what the engraving was on the handcuffs?

I think the middle word was 'Vukojebina' which is apparently a Serbian/Croatian word for wilderness or godforsaken place, but I couldn't make out the other two words.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only got round to watching yesterday, first off the production values are top notch and it looks stunning. As for the actual show, well it was certainly mystifying, I haven't got a clue what's going on but I think I'm going to enjoy finding out.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    The population is 7500 or so.
    How many are actual police and how many are search and rescue?

I was sure they said 700+ not 7500; said there were more bears than people, and to the best of my knowledge there are not 7000+ plus bears.

Edit: just noticed that Alan58 has already made same point #93
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I don't think Ecclestone's character is dead.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I'm always prepared to give slow series a chance, as I find they can often be the most rewarding, but it has to offer something. Fortitude offered nothing - loads of characters, none of whom I care about, no real surprises, didn't have much atmosphere.
  • Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    I don't think Ecclestone's character is dead.
    According to IMDB Christopher Eckythump's character is in 12 episodes

Read into that what you want.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Simple murders? Corporate murders? Serial killers? Corporate experiments gone wrong? Disease from a mammoth? Trolls? Werewolves?
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,874
    Forum Member
    Cat Simon wrote: »
    Its like a cross between Lost and Twin Peaks!

I thought that of the Leftovers, is this similar?