Frasier isn't amazing

Comments

• StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I know it's all about opinions & I do respect those opinions, but at the same time I can't help feel a bit sorry for anyone who thinks that. Genuinely. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Wow that's patronizing. If you want to feel sorry for people surely it's better to feel sorry for people with real troubles and problems. Not over their tv preferences. Sorry that statement just confuses me.

I used to think Friends was better but then I realised how wrong I was.

I dont really see why it's a competition though. I will say for friends it's final couple of seasons went back to it's best (despite the Joey and Rachel thing) where it went wrong was around seasons 6, 7 and 8.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Why do so many Frasier fans always make a point of putting down Friends when they're talking about Frasier? I think they must be jealous of the fact that Friends was generally more popular.

Sorry but im not sure that statement is correct, I love both shows and I think in this country certainly friends got more support but in the US i think Frasier's ratings were better (I could be wrong) it's certainly the one that got more awards and recognition that way.

However does it even matter? Cant the two co-exist?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched all the dvd's over 2 years and i loved it, ok some of the later episodes were poor by their standards but the acting and writing was special to watch !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Frasier is good but I think the only show I liked more then this one was Seinfeld the writers got that show right too
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Why can't you like both without it being a contest. I love frasier, watched a few again recently (the one where Roz found out she was pregant:D)and they're still really good. Great performances all round(well aprt from Daphne's family but ditto Emily's family in friends)My kids have friends on all the time and although I've seen them a thousand times, they still make me smile at least a few times per episode.
  • nig191262nig191262 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Frasier is the greatest sitcom ever made bar none.

Its dialogue is as sharp and clever as Fawlty Towers but there were only 12 FT and over 200 of Frasier.

Unlike the simplistic unfunny nonsense that is Friends which appeals to teens you need to be on a different level from Friends to fully appreciate Frasier and I would ask the OP to watch it again in 5 or 10 years .

Virtually every episode is a winner , even during the lull after Niles and Daphen first get together.

The quotable lines are in the thousands and the characters are so good the show can move from being genuinely moving to outright farce in seconds.

The reason Friends is compared is because they both ran during almost the same period on US tv and IIRC they ended at the same time
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Frasier is one of my favourite programmes, although the sparkle wore off when Niles and Daphne got together. They should have ended it on the two of them legging it from Daphne and Donny's wedding in the camper van. Daphne finally calling him Niles as they prepare to runaway together would have been such a poignant ending.

I can see why not everyone likes the show. It could be quite self-aware at times, which didn't always work.
  • cjrailsoncjrailson Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    This thread could go on forever, people have different tastes :).

I used to watch friends eppisodes constantly and would never get bored, I have done the same with Frasier over the last couple of years. They are both great Sitcoms in my oppinion.

PS. If anyone who is a fan of Frasier wants a laugh, here is a thread i started a few months back http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1035626&highlight=frasier+quotes . - enjoy :D - i know I did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I love it. There are so many episodes that made me cry with laughter. Like all long-running TV shows it had its bum notes but even then I would rate it alongside Fawlty Towers, Blackadder and The Office for timeless comic genius.

The real star possibly wasn't Frasier but his brother Niles, in my view the funniest comedic character ever created in a sitcom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Imus wrote: »

The real star possibly wasn't Frasier but his brother Niles, in my view the funniest comedic character ever created in a sitcom.

David Hyde Pierce stole the show. He's an absolutely amazing actor. It could have been so easy to balls up the part and make Niles a totally unsympathetic prat but he made the character so human, and could play serious and slapstick equelly well.

Such a joy to watch. Wonderful, wonderful actor.
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Frasier is the greatest sitcom ever made bar none

I think there are quite a few sitcoms, British and American, that can stand shoulder to shoulder with Frasier. Or above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moloko wrote: »
    I've been watching Frasier (earlier series as I was too young to watch it when it was in its first few years) when it was apparently at its best, and I have to say, whilst it is a good sitcom, it is SO overated. I don't think it is because I'm not part of the same generation so of course I couldn't, or that the show hasn't aged well. I really don't think so, otherwise I wouldn't even think of watching it.

To me, whilst Frasier is one of the best comedies to come from the US, it just seems too "set-up" or "reserved", probably because of its British influences. Yet others think that it is sophisticated? Why? Because it has a daft over-the-moon (hahaha) english maid? Because it is a show surrounded by snobs who make lots of references that the average member of the audience wouldn't know? To me, it's nothing "special" compared to the best, but across the board this show is great.

Someone convince me how Frasier isn't what I've suggested and why it is "the best show EVER". It didn't deserve the huge numbers of nominations and awards. And I also find Kelsey Grammar one of the most smug, arrogant and tw*tty comedians there is, with only Ricky Gervais, Michael McIntyre and a few others ahead of him. I mean, whenever other sitcoms like Friends are mentioned, not just him but some fans denounce it as "dumb tv" for stupid people. Why?

What British influences? :confused:
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I think there are quite a few sitcoms, British and American, that can stand shoulder to shoulder with Frasier. Or above.

sense of humour is so personal though, you really can't compare. Even so, IMHO, Frasier is pure class:)
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Takkiya:

Frasier, to many of us, had the construction of a British 'comedy of manners'. Its use of language, characters and general feel certainly reminded many of us of a more British style of sitcom. One that would sit with Yes Minister or Fawlty Towers.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Another big vote for Frasier here. Daphne was OK in parts but her family were the ruination of the show (especially her idiotic brother). Frasier, Niles, Martin, Roz, Lilith, Bulldog and Eddie were unbeatable. Nothing was as brilliant as when Niles and Frasier were trying to out-snob each other, and I agree that David Hyde Pierce was/is brilliant. It's my favourite American comedy ever.
  • gadflygadfly Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frasier was superb! Sure, a few crappy episodes sneaked in here and there, but this was better than most comedy shows. In the nineties, just Seinfeld made me laugh more.
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    People mention Roz and how good she is. From what I've seen so far, she comes across as quite boring and plain. I mean, yeah, she can come up with good lines, but at other times I ask myself "does she really need to be there?"
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Frasier a lot. It's witty and well written. It's full of subtlety and irony. And the dog is great. :)

Friends can be very funny (I'm a sucker for Phoebe's scattiness), but the acting is over the top in comparison to Frasier. Nothing subtle about it at all, no sense of irony. That and the audience laughter, genuine as I know it is, sounds fake.
    Forum Member
    Moloko wrote: »
    People mention Roz and how good she is. From what I've seen so far, she comes across as quite boring and plain. I mean, yeah, she can come up with good lines, but at other times I ask myself "does she really need to be there?"

How many episodes of Frasier have you actually seen?

Like all sitcoms each cast member has their own episodes where they are the focus- I guess you've not seen any of Roz's.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I meant to say that Friends leaves me stone cold, I couldn't wring a smile out of myself, even if I sat and watched every episode whilst on laughing gas.
    Forum Member
    I meant to say that Friends leaves me stone cold, I couldn't wring a smile out of myself, even if I sat and watched every episode whilst on laughing gas.

I agree.
    My daughter loves it but I find it hard to even raise a grin and the most annoying thing is the rock music that they use to divide each scene as if thats the cue that the punchline has arrived and its time to laugh
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    nig191262 wrote: »
    How many episodes of Frasier have you actually seen?

Like all sitcoms each cast member has their own episodes where they are the focus- I guess you've not seen any of Roz's.

I remember watching more later series which involved more focus on her, and I still didn't find her interesting. She's two-dimensional.
  • 5340robert5340robert Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good in places like many american sitcoms friends, sienfeld etc. I can`t stand people who go on and on and on about how great these shows were tho.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Fraiser, it is one of my all time favourite shows. MY OH describes it as amusing with not something that you can laugh out loud too (he doesn't watch it).

I thought that it was under-rated compared to Cheers, Friends, Seinfeld etc.

I think that all the characters go well together and the actors were well matched when cast.

Talking of English actors and accents...... Did you know that John Mahoney (Martin Crane) was born in Blackpool?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have never been a fan of US comedies Frasier I could take or leave but I would agree it hada few gems. Friends was so over rated I just got fed up with it.

I liked Cybil but then I'm biased as I realy fancy her.

For me the greatest of US comedies is SOAP there is & never will be anything like it. :D