Options

Winter Sports Season 2012-2013

grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new winter season starts this weekend on Eurosport - Alpine skiing from Solden in Austria at 08:30 on Saturday is the Women's Giant Slalom (annoyingly, only the first run is live.) 08:30 and 11:45 on Sunday is the men's GS.

There's also Figure skating from Canada on Saturday and Sunday.

Comments

• Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bobsleigh/skeleton world cup can't be far away. Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Forgot her name but there was a young Brit girl who burst onto the scene last year in the Skelton , won a couple of these events , hopefully she can keep it up.

Looking forward to the Skiing to , always a good watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot her name but there was a young Brit girl who burst onto the scene last year in the Skelton , won a couple of these events , hopefully she can keep it up.

Looking forward to the Skiing to , always a good watch.
    Liz Yarnold? I remember her. Replaced the now retired Amy Williams and looked great. I imagine it'll be her and Rudman in our two GB sleds. I miss Donna Creighton and her lightning starts though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First event is at Lake Placid, weekend of 8-11 November.
  • Options
    Walter WhiteWalter White Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz Yarnold? I remember her. Replaced the now retired Amy Williams and looked great. I imagine it'll be her and Rudman in our two GB sleds. I miss Donna Creighton and her lightning starts though.

Thats the one :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for the Ladies Giant Slalom at Solden tomorrow. First run live at 08:15 on Eurosport, 2nd run off tape at 17:30, Eurosport 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women's second GS run live on Eurosport2 now.

Lots of snow! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Short Track Speed Skating World Cup season is already well underway. Brits doing quite well! Elise Christie is leader of the women's overall World Cup. This is one of the few Winter Sports where GB regularly produce Olympic medal candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/20116720
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Short Track Speed Skating World Cup season is already well underway. Brits doing quite well! Elise Christie is leader of the women's overall World Cup. This is one of the few Winter Sports where GB regularly produce Olympic medal candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/20116720
    It's a clever target. Good return from a relatively small investment. Shame there isn't the will to get an artificial ice track built up in the Highlands to complement our handful of ski resorts - only as part of a Winter Olympics bid I suppose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a clever target. Good return from a relatively small investment. Shame there isn't the will to get an artificial ice track built up in the Highlands to complement our handful of ski resorts - only as part of a Winter Olympics bid I suppose.

Short track is a sport that can be run in any standard ice-hockey arena, of which we have a few. For full track speed skating our athletes have to go to Holland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump for this - the Skeleton and Bobsleigh season starts tomorrow on Eurosport 2. There are some rule changes this season, and the Eurosport programme guide is really unhelpful, so it's a bit hard to see what events are being covered when, but there seems to be women's race at 13:30 and a men's race at 18:00, both on Eurosport 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirming for the skeleton tomorrow: women's race 14:00 and men's race 18:00, both Eurosport 2.

Friday, women's bob, 14:00 and 15:45, Eurosport HD. Men's 2 man, 18:00 and 20:00, Eurosport 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one, I'll try to watch the women's skeleton but it'll clash with the tennis. The North American events tend to be oddly scheduled - to my mind it's always made more sense to have the women's events on the Friday (women's skeleton AM and women's bob PM). Then Saturday it's men's skeleton (AM) and 2-man bob (PM). 4-man bob gets Sunday to itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also more Alpine skiing from Levi, Finland at the weekend. Women's slalom at 08.45, 2nd run at 11:45 on Saturday, Men's slalom at 08:45 and 11:45 on Sunday, all Eurosport HD.
  • Options
    CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when the Biathlon starts ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump for this - the Skeleton and Bobsleigh season starts tomorrow on Eurosport 2. There are some rule changes this season, and the Eurosport programme guide is really unhelpful, so it's a bit hard to see what events are being covered when, but there seems to be women's race at 13:30 and a men's race at 18:00, both on Eurosport 2.
    BIB - a third run for the top 10 by the looks of things. That's pretty annoying, it'll be near impossible to record if it's sandwiched between bob runs.

On the plus side GB has 3 women's sleds this year - Shelley Rudman, Liz Yarnold and Donna Creighton. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CatsRule wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Biathlon starts ??

First race is a mixed relay from Ostersund, Sunday 25 November.

3 Brits in the top 10 of the skeleton. Good to see Donna Creighton doing well, she couldn't get into the World Cup last year. She always used to be a great starter but could never control the speeds she was getting.

Anyway, tomorrow's schedule is on Eurosport HD

14:00 Women's Bob first run
    15:00 Women's skeleton final
    15:45 Women's Bob second run
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First race is a mixed relay from Ostersund, Sunday 25 November.

3 Brits in the top 10 of the skeleton. Good to see Donna Creighton doing well, she couldn't get into the World Cup last year. She always used to be a great starter but could never control the speeds she was getting.

Anyway, tomorrow's schedule is on Eurosport HD

14:00 Women's Bob first run
    15:00 Women's skeleton final
    15:45 Women's Bob second run
    BIB - yeah, good to see. Before she could do well on the starters tracks but now she's a threat on drivers tracks as well. Hopefully she can challenge the top 5 drivers in time (Thees, Hollingsworth, Rudman, Huber and Uhlaender).

My EPG has the men's skeleton final at 3pm and the women's skeleton final at 7:15pm :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty decent starting weekend so far for the Brits

6th for Kristian Bromley in the men's skeleton
    6th for Polly Walker in the women's bob

and all 3 British girls into the top 10 of the women's skeleton

4th Donna Creighton
    7th Shelly Rudman
    9th Lizzy Yarnold

I'd read somewhere, but had forgotten, that Lolo Jones, the World Champion 100m hurdler was going in as a bobsleigh brakewoman this year. Incredible start - 2nd in her first World Cup race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good story about Lolo Jones and Tianna Madison, the two US track athletes who are doing the bob season here

http://espn.go.com/olympics/bobsled/story/_/id/8610923/lolo-jones-team-wins-silver-world-cup-bobsled-united-states
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty decent starting weekend so far for the Brits

6th for Kristian Bromley in the men's skeleton
    6th for Polly Walker in the women's bob

and all 3 British girls into the top 10 of the women's skeleton

4th Donna Creighton
    7th Shelly Rudman
    9th Lizzy Yarnold

I'd read somewhere, but had forgotten, that Lolo Jones, the World Champion 100m hurdler was going in as a bobsleigh brakewoman this year. Incredible start - 2nd in her first World Cup race.
    Top 6 is probably the realistic target for Kristan - too many guys can outstart him now. Martins Dukurs is so dominant though, brilliantly subtle steering and he can win by over a second when on form.

Bit of a disappointing result for Shelley, LP is one of her better tracks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a disappointing result for Shelley, LP is one of her better tracks.

Apparently she is carrying an injury from a few weeks ago. More good news: John Jackson got 7th in the four-man bob, we have been down in the mid-teens for the last few seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good British performance: Billy Morgan got 7th in the Snowboard World Cup Big Air event in Antwerp (artificial slope, obviously) yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More good news: Dave Ryding got 26th place in the slalom at Levi today, the first British skiier since Alain Baxter to get World Cup points in a slalom. All the more impressive because he started the first run with bib 55, so had to fight really hard just to qualify.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview with Elise Christie, World Cup leader in short track on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/20298164