Options

Jobseeker loses benefit because she had an interview

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
Sorry if this has been discussed but can't find anything on it, a young Jobseeker has been sanctioned for six weeks because she missed a Jobcentre appointment because she had a Job Interview.

Do you think this is fair that she got sanctioned? I feel sorry for her because it seems we can't win where Jobcentre is concerned. if we don't do enough to find work or get interviews then we still get sanctioned. :mad:

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/jobseeker-loses-benefits-because-she-had-an-interview-1-5998372

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think they just look for any excuse, however flimsy or ridiculous, it really is a shameful way to carry on.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it's not fair - what type of moron would think it was?

This however is the problem with the system now. The Tories have ballsed the whole thing to the high heavens.

Genuine jobseekers get penalised for trying to find work, going to interviews, volunteering, work experience and everything else! - the tiny, tiny fraudulent minority say and do all of the right things to slide straight through the system.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't she just say that this is an inconvenient time, can we have the interview in a couple of hours? She had a pre-booked appointment and she missed it. Her fault.
    If she can prove she really was having an interview, she'll win her appeal within a week or two and get the back benefits.
    Sounds right to me, if you don't turn up to claim your benefits, then they get suspended until it's looked into. She could have been laying in bed with a hangover as far as they know.
    If you don't sign on, that afternoon it automatically gets passed onto another department, usually in a town or city miles away and is out of the local Job Centres hands anyway.

As they said, she can apply for a hardship payment, so it's not as tho' she's going to starve. A few less pies this week might do her some good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zounds wrote: »
    Why didn't she just say that this is an inconvenient time, can we have the interview in a couple of hours? She had a pre-booked appointment and she missed it. Her fault.
    If she can prove she really was having an interview, she'll win her appeal within a week or two and get the back benefits.
    Sounds right to me, if you don't turn up to claim your benefits, then they get suspended until it's looked into. She could have been laying in bed with a hangover as far as they know.
    If you don't sign on, that afternoon it automatically gets passed onto another department, usually in a town or city miles away and is out of the local Job Centres hands anyway.

As they said, she can apply for a hardship payment, so it's not as tho' she's going to starve. A few less pies this week might do her some good.

because she wanted the job?
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does it affect my business?

Universal Credit will have a positive effect on your business as you will:

◾find it easier to fill any job as more jobseekers will be willing to consider short term or irregular work
    ◾be able to identify opportunities for flexible working using your existing part time employees to meet business peaks and troughs, without the overheads associated with recruiting and training new staff
    ◾have access to a wider pool of applicants for your jobs, many of whom are registered on our Universal Jobmatch service, to help you fill your job vacancies quicker

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239992/universal-credit-toolkit-quick-guide-employers.pdf

The Universal Jobmatch Service and Universal Credit. The DWP vision of hell.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    feckit wrote: »
    How does it affect my business?

Universal Credit will have a positive effect on your business as you will:

◾find it easier to fill any job as more jobseekers will be willing to consider short term or irregular work
    ◾be able to identify opportunities for flexible working using your existing part time employees to meet business peaks and troughs, without the overheads associated with recruiting and training new staff
    ◾have access to a wider pool of applicants for your jobs, many of whom are registered on our Universal Jobmatch service, to help you fill your job vacancies quicker

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/239992/universal-credit-toolkit-quick-guide-employers.pdf

What has that got to do with the OPs question:confused:
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Ditto.

Universal Credit is a great idea, in theory. But the execution has been a shambles - and it isn't directly related to the issue that Jobcentre advisers are 'forced' to sanction people for frivolous and daft reasons that defy common sense.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think they just look for any excuse, however flimsy or ridiculous, it really is a shameful way to carry on.

Agreed.

When I use to sign on, roughly a year or two ago, I had to apply for 10 jobs a week.

One week, I applied for 14 jobs, but two of the jobs I had applied for were the exact same. Same job title, same job description and I applied for them both on the same day. I thought it looked silly repeating the same thing in the boxes on the sheets you're given, so I just put "x2" next to the job.

I got moaned at by my advisor, "you're not allowed to do that - you have to write it out in full! I'm gonna have to sanction you."

Absolutely ridiculous. I argued with her about it for about five minutes, but I knew she wasn't gonna budge. If I had appealed, I obviously would've won, but I couldn't be bothered with such a process at that time as I, luckily, was in a position where I could live without the payments for a bit, so I stopped attending.

Awful place. Hate to think about those who get treated with such disregard when they're relying on that money to live.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Woops wrong thread.:o
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    She probably didn't tell them in advance. I never had a problem missing an appointment due to a job interview. I would ring them up, make a new appointment citing that I had a job interview and a new signing on appointment would be made. I was told that a job interview took a higher priority than signing on in those instances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SmartTIIam wrote: »
    She probably didn't tell them in advance. I never had a problem missing an appointment due to a job interview. I would ring them up, make a new appointment citing that I had a job interview and a new signing on appointment would be made. I was told that a job interview took a higher priority than signing on in those instances.
    she couldn`t until afterwards.

the phone interview came “out of the blue” and she did not realise how long it would take.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not another one of these threads. Im sure she'll be fine
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definite appointment at a JobCentre (risking sanction) vs Out of the blue Interview where there is no guarantee of a job at the end anyway - difficult decision.

Sounds like a bit of a gamble.

(A real £300 vs however much you might earn IF you are offered the job)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A sensible person might assume that the point of jobseekers allowance is to help you while looking for a job, and thus, looking for a job would be the most important thing.

Obviously, this is wrong. Instead, jumping through the hoops, ticking boxes and making bureaucrats' lives easier is the most important thing.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like a scene from the League of Gentlemen!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

HAHAHAHA! Most ridiculous post of the year, bravo!

Tell you what would have happened! She would have asked for it to be at another time, they would have not called back again because they would have an immeasurable pool of applicants to choose from, she would have gone to her JSA appointment, told them she missed an interview to sign on and they would have sanctioned her!
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When did you last have a job interview ?

If you try and rearrange a job interview, even if the company are understanding and don't mind, the fear would always be that they will find someone else in the meantime.

She probably should have mentioned to the company about her appointment at the job centre, but she should not be penalised for not doing so as long as she could prove it was genuine.

I'm sure a lot of this is just power-tripping from the jobsworths at the job centre.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctioned for having a work ethic. Ridiculous.

The Tories may as well just abolish Jobseekers Allowance and put everyone out of their misery. Not that I support such a move of course.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    certainly in the past, ive had to rearrange sign ons a couple of times, but as I knew about the interviews in advance, I was able to let them know ahead of time, and do my sign on later in the day, without any real hassle.
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Definite appointment at a JobCentre (risking sanction) vs Out of the blue Interview where there is no guarantee of a job at the end anyway - difficult decision.

Sounds like a bit of a gamble.

(A real £300 vs however much you might earn IF you are offered the job)
    whilst it is normal human behaviour to do what is most rewarding, and safe, I think its really sad that the benefit system can stand in the way of itself like has happened here, of course you should not want to stay on benefits, but the more hoops you have to jump though to keep your sole source of income, the more time you spend doing that, and less looking for actual work.

That said the company, has not been helpful here, whilst ive not had many phone interviews, the ones I had, were arranged in advance.

The young lady was stuck in between a rock and a hard place, obviously you dont turn the interview down, but faced with a Job Centre looking for any reason at all to sanction you, sadly you have to act to keep your current income, then act to get a bigger one.

Also I would never normally mention the Job Centre to an employer, small lies like "ive got an appointment with an agency" are better.
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The Tories do not want ordinary people to succeed. If they last any longer it will be state control and workfare for the working classes. Middle to higher to do what they want.

She is pro actively looking for work, adhering to the agreement. Why sanction her? Is there some sick government sweepstake going on?
  • Options
    JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just some jobsworth prick at the Jobcentre making someone's life a misery because they can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Of course it's not fair - what type of moron would think it was?

This however is the problem with the system now. The Tories have ballsed the whole thing to the high heavens.

Genuine jobseekers get penalised for trying to find work, going to interviews, volunteering, work experience and everything else! - the tiny, tiny fraudulent minority say and do all of the right things to slide straight through the system.

While those who have scrounged off the state and never worked continue to get away with it.

I have always said that the biggest mistake that working people make is to work from when they leave school. When they lose their livelihood the system that is supposed to help them just dosen't and it has been like that for a number of years. And they then wonder why people can't be bothered to work???
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because she wanted the job?

Exactly. Perhaps the people interviewing did not have another slot for her and that was the only slot available.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who's benefit was stopped in January because they'd taken a job over Christmas in a shop (they'd informed the JC and signed off). When they tried to sign back on the JC were very awkward about it and stopped the benefit for several weeks.

I hate this ****ing government and how they are treating the poor. I'm a believer in Karma and really hope Ian Duncan- Smith gets whats coming to him, odious little man :mad:
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    For gods sake it'll be sorted out im sure. It's the nature of bureaucracy and any benefit claims thst appear false need to be stopped while they check facts are correct. People here are acting like it's a vendetta