Options

Can someone explain why Taylor Swift is so successful?

RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
Forum Member
Cos I just don't get. I honestly can't think of one song she has done other than that Shake it song...which...is just..ugh. I find her like a musical lobotomy. She also looks like LeAnn Rhimes, goofier sister to me. I can even understand a core fanbase..but to achieve the sales she has with her latest album.

Is she successful outside of the USA? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it!!
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is safe and makes good, basic pop music, which the general public love. Also, she has that whole "girl next door" image.
  • Options
    Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,194
    Forum Member
    She is the epitome of dull to me.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoadRover wrote: »
    Cos I just don't get. I honestly can't think of one song she has done other than that Shake it song...which...is just..ugh. I find her like a musical lobotomy. She also looks like LeAnn Rhimes, goofier sister to me. I can even understand a core fanbase..but to achieve the sales she has with her latest album.

She looks like an actress's from a US comedy drama to me. As a pop star I find she looks awkward, almost slightly embarrassed a lot of the time. Maybe it's just me.

She has reasonably good songs (didn't like Shake it Off though), ESP when you look a her rivals in the charts.

But something about her uncomfortable ness makes her a very weird pop star to me.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is anyone successful? For Taylor, I'd say it's mostly because of how dedicated she is to her work. She promotes the hell out of every album, and doesn't just rest on her past successes. She also does a lot for her really dedicated fans, so they stick with her no matter what. And as her success has grown, she's simply picked up more fans, and her success has grown further. She writes her own stuff and always sings live which people seem to appreciate. I think the fact that she seems a bit awkward and crazy, and doesn't hide it, makes her quite popular too. She's not falling out of nightclubs drunk every night either, so younger fans think she's a good role model, which she is. She's got a good head on her shoulders. Basically, she attracts different fans for different reasons, and all of them combined make her extremely successful.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I don't get this thread. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean other people don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't get this thread. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean other people don't.

Yeh..I think you missed the point. DId u actually read the title.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Catchy pop songs and an inoffensive image.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh..I think you missed the point. DId u actually read the title.....

The point being that you seem to not understand that everyone has different tastes and likes to each other. You don't like someone but seem unable to grasp what others might like in the same person. That's right isn't it?
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like her stuff. I have 3 of her albums and going to get her latest one soon. It's all quite inoffensive stuff. I like the fact that she doesn't swear on her records, and that she doesn't become screechy and screamy (on the whole - the end of Shake It Off becomes a little like that) in the final third of songs. I also like her lyrics because I like stuff like that.

Also, she doesn't have an amazing range so I can sing along in the car.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to her "red" album, particularly the song "all too well". She's a very good songwriter.

Music however, is very subjective, just because you don't like something doesn't mean there is no appeal to others. For every artist you like, there will probably be more people that don't like them.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    The point being that you seem to not understand that everyone has different tastes and likes to each other. You don't like someone but seem unable to grasp what others might like in the same person. That's right isn't it?

Nail on head with this one I think.
  • Options
    LeonalewisJfanLeonalewisJfan Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she does a massive World wide tour after each album for a whole year, and therefore keeps her fans & gets extra, and also she works so hard & ensures she has the best material. She also promotes her album very well & has a really good personality. She is also very talented, thats probably the reason why shes arguably the most successful artist over the past 10 years. [It's either her or Rihanna]
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

her first headlining tour saw her play japan, australia and the uk as well as the US, playing to over a million folk and making $63m. she did japan, australia, and europe as well as the US for her second tour which made $97m

depending on your opinion, you could say she was successful outside of the USA. her most recent uk shows put onsale were an instant sell out too

she's successful as she writers her own songs, which means she gets more royalties, and her fanbase tend to associate themselves with her story like lyrics. plus she supported many well known acts and toured a lot in support of her first album, and did meet and greets and lots of one on one promotion with radio and tv

to her young female fanbase, her early tracks in particular could be seen in a similar way to oasis songs from the first couple of albums appealing to their core young male audience, with similar basic chords and catchy verse chorus verse structures

her first couple of albums had a country pop feel, but her more recent material has a much more typical chart pop style, and her videos are aimed for an mtv/youtube audience

she's the youngest person to get a grammy, and she has a bunch of awards, such as 7 grammys, 15 AMAs, 7 CMAs' and 12 billboard awards, and a string of artist of the year and best new artist awards, such as winning the CMT artist of the year 4 years in a row. she's also got world records for fastest selling digital album and single, so as well as commercially, she's obviously doing something right

i'd suggest checking out her second album, which she started writing when she was 15. it's considered by many to be her best work, and quite different to "shake it off"
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is because she has a young pretty face which is a rare image in Country music.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    She was a much better country pop artist than a pop artist
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    It is because she has a young pretty face which is a rare image in Country music.

Carrie Underwood, The Band Perry, Julianne Hough, Laura Alaina....C/W has a quite a few young pretty faces.

Taylor Swift has had a lot of crossover success. Her dalliances with a string of well-known and not so well known boyfriends and the kiss and tell songs she has written about them must resonate with her fans.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole "Kayne storming the stage as Tayor accepted her MTV Video Award" incident put her (firmly) on the map. I reckon lots of people felt sorry for her after that... I did!

I love her, anyway. She's down-to-earth and lovely :) Totally inoffensive! And she makes good, catchy pop music. I love the "awkwardness" about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

What you mean people like things I don't? Why this is mind blowing information.....

No it isn't. Of course, I understand that other people like her and have different tastes. I'm asking WHY they do. And it's not just a few people..like the album sold a million in its first week. That's pretty major success.

The point is what makes this girl so different from any of the others out there. She's by far the blandest of all the female singers imo. Maybe that's why?
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift.

But I have to admit that some of her songs are actually quite good and some are guilty pleasures of mine. I Knew You Were Trouble and Shake It Off are good examples of that.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to the OP, Taylor Swift's released some great pop songs over the years, and that's all you need to be successful. It may not be to your taste, but singles like Love Story, I Knew You Were Trouble, Blank Space etc. are incredibly catchy and appeal to a wide range of people over many different barriers, which can be a rare commodity these days.
    She has become very popular outside of the US, as she has charmed her way into the affections of a fair few people. :)
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    She's pretty has a decent voice and her older stuff is quite good. I would totally see your view if Shake it off was you're only experience of her which is a terrible tune in terms of anything
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's relatable, doesn't take herself too seriously and mist importantly, she's got a pile of really catchy pop songs.

It's not complicated.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,272
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    She's relatable, doesn't take herself too seriously and mist importantly, she's got a pile of really catchy pop songs.

It's not complicated.

LOL. That's the persona she puts out.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her core success comes from middle America you really need to understand the all-american
    country prom girl thing to get whilst she's so successful.

Beyond that songs like Shake It Off speak for themselves. The video to that great song is very cringe but she is obviously taking the p!ss out of herself.