iPad email problems

Tiscali webmail on iPad. Attempting to delete messages en bloc, but retaining selected messages is not easy: mostly, highlighting the entire page works OK, but having done so, then deleting the tick against a selected message for retention results in the screening of that message before one has a chance to press the 'delete' button. Most annoying, as this means that each message for deletion has to be done individually. Yet on occasion, the tick deletion works, and one can even remove several ticks as required. Then again, it may allow the tick deletion on say 5 messages, then when clicking on the 6th, that 6th message flashes on to the screen. Does anyone have a method of avoiding this effect, or does it indicate a fault in the iPad? Thank you.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which iPad and which version of iOS?

I have no problems pressing Edit and then selecting multiple mails on my mini 2 running iOS 8. Even if I try to 'miss' the radio button with a fat finger it still works.
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Which iPad and which version of iOS?

I have no problems pressing Edit and then selecting multiple mails on my mini 2 running iOS 8. Even if I try to 'miss' the radio button with a fat finger it still works.

Suspect I'm not on IOS 8 ; how can I find out which iPad model I have? It was a present last Christmas, the small amount of accompanying bumf makes no reference to model, but was printed in 2012.

Not sure about your mention of 'edit', when I want to delete a full page I tap the button at the head of left hand column of emails, which then produces ticks in all the boxes. I then tap 'delete' and after confirming, the mails are deleted. At times, as stated, I am able to remove the tick by tapping on the ones I want to retain, then proceed to delete en bloc the remaining ticked mails. More often than not, repeating myself, when I have the page of mails ticked, when I then attempt to untick any, the action of tapping the tick simply gets the mail concerned up on screen. What's the 'radio' button, Stig? (I'm trying to remember what the page looks like!). Thank you for your reply, sorry my info is so vague.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To find out what you have:
    Go to the Sertings app, General, About.
    From there you can see the Model and Version.
    Forum Member
    To find out what you have:
    Go to the Sertings app, General, About.
    From there you can see the Model and Version.

Version 8.0.2 (12A405)
    Model MC769B/A

What does that tell us,Stig?
    Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Version 8.0.2 (12A405)
    Model MC769B/A

What does that tell us,Stig?
    Cheers.

You have an iPad 2 16GB

You aren't on the latest iOS, which is 8.1.0. I would go into Settings and do an update. There should have been a red dot with a 1 in it to inform you an update was available.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are accidentally deleting messages you wish to retain you can do the following too:

Settings>Mail Contacts Calendars> scroll down and you'll see Mail. Under 'Flag Style' it should say "Ask Before Deleting." Toggle it on and see if that also helps?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info,guys. iG, will have a look as you suggest, it may help to approach from a different direction. Stig, other threads seem to have users disappointed with the 8 upgrade- any thoughts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info,guys. iG, will have a look as you suggest, it may help to approach from a different direction. Stig, other threads seem to have users disappointed with the 8 upgrade- any thoughts?
    You already have the '8 upgrade' in the form of 8.0.2. The 8.1 fixes a lot of the problems people were having.
    Forum Member
    You already have the '8 upgrade' in the form of 8.0.2. The 8.1 fixes a lot of the problems people were having.

Ah,right,thank you.
    If I may try your patience again, I frequently receive emails on the iPad with attachments in the form of photographs. When I screen each photo, I don't seem to have a way to return to the email itself, or the page of emails; in other words I have to re-login to my tiscali email, inputting the password, to get the emails up again. This is a confounded nuisance, particularly when there are several photos attached to a single email. Is there a method of returning to the parent email after screening each photo without seemingly logging off and having to log in again? It's made worse by the frequent non-acceptance of the log in to the mails, instead the system gets me to my account, or sales or some other dept that I don't want. Sometimes it can take several attempts before the email log in succeeds. Thanks in anticipation...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, are you using Safari to read email via webmail
    or
    Are you using the iOS Mail app?

The Mail app would seem the way to go.
    Forum Member
    Yes,Safari-as demonstrated by my son-in-law when he set up the device for me.
    Gather you recommend the iOS version, of which I was unaware; must be worth a try,so thanks again.
    Forum Member
    Have set up a second eaddress on ICloud, which helps insofar as I can transfer mails that I wish to retain for a while from the other inbox and then delete the entire page on that inbox without having to worry about the problem mentioned above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have set up a second eaddress on ICloud, which helps insofar as I can transfer mails that I wish to retain for a while from the other inbox and then delete the entire page on that inbox without having to worry about the problem mentioned above.

I don't see why you would need to setup another address in iCloud :confused:

If you use the Mail app, you can view mail from any email provider. As your mail is stored online you won't lose anything by accessing them from the Mail app.
    Forum Member
    I don't see why you would need to setup another address in iCloud :confused:

If you use the Mail app, you can view mail from any email provider. As your mail is stored online you won't lose anything by accessing them from the Mail app.

Well,Stig, I thought that was what I was doing- using the mail app, I mean. Now I'm confused! (You'll have gathered long since that I'm by no means au fait with many aspects of the device; I'll scratch around some more...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here are step by step instructions on how to setup Tiscali email on an iPad

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/setting-tiscali-email-ipad
    Forum Member
    Jolly good,Stig, many thanks.
    Forum Member
    Another problem has surfaced: when I try to access my Tiscali email inbox, obviously I have to log-in. Recently, the top box has correctly shown my e-address, but when I attempt to input the password into the lower box I'm unable to access the box- it doesn't come alive to allow me to input the details.
    I have been able to read and send on my laptop, which is just as well, but it's annoying not being able to do so on the iPad.
    I wonder what is causing the problem and if there's a solution or method to get around it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another problem has surfaced: when I try to access my Tiscali email inbox, obviously I have to log-in. Recently, the top box has correctly shown my e-address, but when I attempt to input the password into the lower box I'm unable to access the box- it doesn't come alive to allow me to input the details.
    I have been able to read and send on my laptop, which is just as well, but it's annoying not being able to do so on the iPad.
    I wonder what is causing the problem and if there's a solution or method to get around it?

It sounds like you still aren't using the Mail app. You shouldn't have to enter a username and password at all apart from when setting it up. :confused:
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you still aren't using the Mail app. You shouldn't have to enter a username and password at all apart from when setting it up. :confused:

Yes,Stig, I looked at the link and thought it would be OK, then scared myself wondering if it went wrong I'd lose all the retained and unread mails. Anyway, decided to make a start, but couldn't get past the pre-amble before the steps began in earnest. At the point instructing me to tap 'email account' I couldn't find that on the screen, which left me a bit baffled, so stopped at that point. As there is a site for problems noted at the bottom of the link you kindly provided, I think I'll give it a ring - as of now I can't even get the blessed thing to show me the log-in screen - it's going from bad to worse!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes,Stig, I looked at the link and thought it would be OK, then scared myself wondering if it went wrong I'd lose all the retained and unread mails. Anyway, decided to make a start, but couldn't get past the pre-amble before the steps began in earnest. At the point instructing me to tap 'email account' I couldn't find that on the screen, which left me a bit baffled, so stopped at that point. As there is a site for problems noted at the bottom of the link you kindly provided, I think I'll give it a ring - as of now I can't even get the blessed thing to show me the log-in screen - it's going from bad to worse!

The instructions say tap 'Add email account' which is exactly what is displayed on my iPad.

Your email all all stored on the Tiscali servers. You aren't going to lose anything. Just keep trying.
    Forum Member
    Isn't that bit in the numbered steps No.1?- I was starting at the initial instructions, which I think began with tapping 'email account' ( having got into 'mail,contacts,calendars'), then asked to scroll down and tap 'delete account'; only then does the numbered sections begin, moving to tap 'add email account'. ..
    Unless I copied it down incorrectly. Will look at it again.Thank you.