Options

What do you fast foward?!

David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
Forum Member
✭✭
What do you like to skip in programmes? I skip ads normally, but when in a hurry I also skip some the less amazing parts of shows.

Now remember this is MY thread so be nice! :cool:

*Not my forum though!

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely the ads, there are just so many of them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Ads
    The talking heads on X Factor, BBC Lloyd Webber shows etc
    Bad acts on above shows
    Recaps at the beginning of episodes
    Bits in House that make me squirm - i.e. bits with sharp things and eyes
    Torture scenes involving fingernails and teeth
    Really gross food eating - i.e the sheep heads in milk on An Idiot Abroad this week
    Unpleasant things being done to cats really upsets me (skipped a bit in a film this very morning for that!)
    Cancer death scenes have me reaching for the remote (for personal reasons)
    (I am thinking about this far to seriously)
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fast forward my way thro; all those Ch4 , Ch5, Living etc shows that start with a 5 min preview, show a lttle content, then go to a "coming after the break" , then ads , then another summary of what you have already seen etc, etc....actual episode content of a 1 hour show,...about 40 nanoseconds !
    stand up Lorraine Kellys series about that awful "fat family", and anything with Gordon Ramsay in it.
  • Options
    00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our house we'll start watching X Factor at about 9.15 and still probably catch up before it ends!
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The start of Dragons Den including the bit where we get to see evidence of how insanely rich each of them is, slowing back to 'real time' only when the first candidate walks up the steps.

Probably end up doing it with the start of The Apprentice as the series progresses and there's more to recap each week.

There's usually quite a lot to skip through in Midsomer Murders, lots of tracking shots of cars travelling through villages and up long driveways. Taking account of the adverts I can easily chop a 2hr MM down to 85-90 minutes.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always fast forward chase sequences - because there is usually no dialogue to miss and they look more exciting at a higher speed. Lovey dovey scenes are also a trigger for the fast forward button.

I watch so much recorded TV and do so much fast forwarding that when I go the the cinema I find that I am instinctively reaching for a remote control to speed things up.
  • Options
    David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting responses!

Cant stand Dragons den obvious-stater-man-presenter!

It's not as though he offers any great insight!

Anyway I'm hi-jacking my own thread, so back to popcorn and more responses!
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    The ads.
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Ads almost always (unless there's one I want to see, like the IKEA one with the cats!), also "coming up", "still to come" bits, sometimes opening credits but usually not, and if I'm watching Countdown usually ff the clock counting down (that sound drives me crazy!)

Oh, and also the introductions (you know, this is Mark from Chiswick, he enjoys golfing and searching for the Holy Grail etc), as well as Jeff's "funny" comments.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I skip most of the songs in Glee :o

I'm beginning to wonder why I bother watching now tbh :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    All the ads are whizzed thru.
    Also, if I've recorded some american football sometimes I'll blip thru between plays to cut down the time a game takes to watch if I'm close to running out of space on my pvr and there are other programmes about to start recording! :D
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulmbe wrote: »
    Also, if I've recorded some american football sometimes I'll blip thru between plays to cut down the time a game takes to watch if I'm close to running out of space on my pvr and there are other programmes about to start recording! :D

Skipping through American Football must shorten it from four hours to forty-five minutes :D:o
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    paulmbe wrote: »

Oh yeah, forgot I do that with Irish international matches too: record then speed along watching for anything interesting, stopping when the score changes. Less interesting but I can get through a whole match in about 10 mins! :)

ETA: Mind you, the way Ireland are playing at the moment, I'll only need less than a minute, unless I want to watch teh goals scored AGAINST us! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    The adverts

Intros

On This Morning, the competition bits, the cook offs. I can see TM in 30 minutes.

I like the cooking, but whizz anything showing them cutting raw meat, the soap round ups and the news comment sections.

I whizz to the end on 60 Minute Makeover, watching people decorate isn't that interesting but the before and after part is good.

Anything with blood and gore yet can watch operations.

Very violent scenes.

Anything with Gordon Brown, that thing he does with his mouth really bugs me.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to FF through a lot of Soccer AM, sometimes get through it in 15 mins
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads
    the recaps in Come Dine with Me
    Soaps when the scene is going on far too long and someone is wailing
    Opening sequences of Apprentice and Dragons Den
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ads. Coronation Street becomes a 20 minute show.

the interminable bits in between questions on millionaire, and million pound drop

loads of bits of inane chatter between the dances on Strictly.

We have a 30-second jump button on our recorder - its great for flicking forward in easy segments.

NFL is great. 30 second jump takes you straight to the snap for the next play. Condenses all Gary Imlach and Mike Carlsen's chat into very little (and Al MIchaels) . Sorry guys, I just haven't got 3 hours to watch a replay.

F1 - watch the start - watch any pit stops - find any changes in order - watch the finish. About 20 mins.

Poker - waiting for someone deciding whether to call/fold.

Masterchef - flick over most - just get to the judging
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fast forward button on my remote must be one of my favourite inanimate objects in the universe.

Agree with most of the above, plus
    * progs like the Royal Variety Show, which always includes a few really good acts mixed in with the cr*p
    * Recaps from previous episodes
    * Sob stories in X-Factor auditions etc
    * Terrific for Comic Relief, Children in Need; where there's usually some real gems mixed in with the dross
    * Assorted chat shows, where some guests are really interesting and others are *yawn*.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I whizz to the end on 60 Minute Makeover when i'm at home to watch it
    when i used to watch loose women i'd whizz through the intro for the women, usually the guess, anything that Sherrie Hewson, zoe whatsherface & the opera singer had to say. in the end found i was whizzing through most of it apart from Carol's bits so stopped watching
    all ads
    any scene that michelle is in on Corrie
    i whizz the strictly results show until the end
    the strictly chatty bits apart from judge's bits
    homes under the hammer would to the auction bit, then would watch transformation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Just fast forward the adverts, I don't fast forward any parts of a show - I don't record shows that I that would require fast forwarding, I only watch shows I enjoy and therefore wouldn't want to miss any of it.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Forward, ironically.
  • Options
    shoesgirlshoesgirl Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Ads.
    Recaps.
    Chit chat to quiz show contestants.
    Alesha Dixon.
    Saint Cheryl.
    Louis Walsh.
    Any other judge that doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Faffing around on programmes such as Masterchef.
    VT fillers on X Factor, BGT and Strictly etc...
    The waiting in suspense for the results.
    I don't watch them anymore but when I did follow the soaps I used to ff through the characters I disliked or found irritating too.

There are very few programmes I watch without skipping some unecessary padding somewhere. Documentaries and dramas on BBC are probably the only ones I don't watch with the remote to hand.
  • Options
    Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    As well as the adverts and pointless exposition scenes, I usually skip over the Rogue Traders segments in Watchdog which cuts it down to a half-hour show like it used to be.

Also I tend to stop watching if there are very violent scenes being shown (as opposed to skipping over them), unless the programme in question had been particularly compelling up to that point.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    What do you like to skip in programmes? I skip ads normally, but when in a hurry I also skip some the less amazing parts of shows.

Now remember this is MY thread so be nice! :cool:

*Not my forum though!

The Ads or the tail end of previous programmes since I often watch stuff PVR'd.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded the whole of the first X-Factor live this year and FFd the whole of it except for Joe. I wanted to see how he got on and he was splendid!