In Your Face Religious Types

Comments

• Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a general comment on the fact that I was leaving you chaps to enjoy your thread on whether you "hate in your face religious types" and a reflection on how I suspect this thread will turn out.

It wasn't an accusation aimed at any FM in particular. It's difficult to be crystal clear when you're tapping away on a phone between work calls.

To re-phrase: I'll leave you to your enlightened discussion on the merits of "hating in your face religious types".

Ok, although if I quoted you and said 'I'll leave you to your whatever' I would expect you to read that as comment about you.

For the record I don't think there is any merit in hating anyone.
  • Malice CooperMalice Cooper Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could always say an innocent sentence to upset them.
    There was some woman preaching on a facebook group about how all gays go to hell and they needed to repent or face eternal damnation and no way would she have gay people in her home. I noticed she had Barry Manilow listed in her music so I pointed it out and it upset her somewhat.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I'd define the inyerface fanatic as the one in real lfie carrying The End of the World Is Nigh sandwich board, or else the doorsteppers. Nothing online is inyerface as we all have the option of not clicking on a thread title/entering a forum.

we also have the option of ignoring/closing the door on those real life ones

the doorsteppers are no more or less irritating than any other cold caller
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    have i?

I'm asking you. You should know after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I'm asking you. You should know after all.

why are you asking me over anyone else? if i have then say so or drop it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    so what if everyone doesn't believe in the same things?
    as long as you don't demean or ridicule a person who believes something different to you, so what?

Provide some proper evidence that the fairy stories are factually correct and we'll stop :D

When I was at primary school, my class teacher told me that I was evil and would go to hell because I questioned the whole 'talking snake' story. When you have sh1t like that in the education system, it's little wonder some of us have become a bit gobby about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I'd define the inyerface fanatic as the one in real lfie carrying The End of the World Is Nigh sandwich board, or else the doorsteppers. Nothing online is inyerface as we all have the option of not clicking on a thread title/entering a forum.

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    Provide some proper evidence that the fairy stories are factually correct and we'll stop :D

When I was at primary school, my class teacher told me that I was evil and would go to hell because I questioned the whole 'talking snake' story. When you have sh1t like that in the education system, it's little wonder some of us have become a bit gobby about it.

My school days were in a country a long way from the UK but we had similar teachings. You could question it as long as you eventually agreed that it was true.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record I don't think there isn't any merit in hating anyone.

Then we agree on the part that matters.

FWIW I don't think discussing atheism on a forum makes one "in your face" though I do think there are a fair few posters on here who come across as a little "preachy" on the subject.

(That wasn't a personal accusation either BTW).
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me an 'in yer face' atheist is one who comes on a forum, asks questions about faith then proceeds to pick as many holes as they possibly can while making absolutely no attempt to empathise or realise there is someone on the other end of that monitor.

so what if everyone doesn't believe in the same things?
    as long as you don't demean or ridicule a person who believes something different to you, so what?

we have atheists like that here.

But then you'd have to conclude from that perspective that an evangelical theist, such as one who uses a megaphone in town, is a "really massively right-in-your-face-and-up-your-nose theist" - because the equivalent to your "in your face atheist" is a theist that posts on forums in religion threads.

Also "picking holes"? Or questioning? Is it so wrong for someone to question a belief system that holds special-protection status in this country (eg, the head of state is also the head of the CoE. Our national anthem is theist. Religious groups get specially consulted on policies)?

If someone questions my agnostic atheist position on the internet, are they "in my face" or are they simply taking part in a discussion on the internet?
    we also have the option of ignoring/closing the door on those real life ones
    Hard to ignore the bloke on a megaphone in town who's shouting about eternal hellfire in front of your children. Hard to ignore those who repeatedly knock on the door (unless you just refuse to answer the door - but then you're secluding yourself somewhat "just in case" a theist knocks).

That is what I consider "in your face" to mean. Certainly not people discussing, even passionately-so, religion on the internet, be they theist, atheist, agnostic or somewhere in-between. I can read another thread, read another site or even close the browser altogether.
    I can't never answer my front door, and town is often unavoidable. Is that an evangelical atheist causing that, or an evangelical theist?

(Note: I don't "hate" them anyway, nor do I have issue with a person's personal beliefs - if those beliefs are made public, however, they are open for discussion. If those beliefs impact my life in any way, they are open to challenge. Christianity has had a major influence, good-and-bad, on the people of the UK, so it's no-wonder that Christianity is the most-often challenged religion on UK forums!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ok, so because you came across a delusional teacher that makes everyone with faith open to your brand of 'hate'?

take it up with her/him!

it seems people of faith on this forum have to pay for all the sh1t certain atheists have experienced in their life

tedious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last bunch of Jehovah's witnesses knocked on my front door. I didn't answer it, so they let themselves through my side gate and then started knocking at the back door. My husband walked out and marched them back through the gate without saying a word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are you asking me over anyone else? if i have then say so or drop it

Because you brought it up. I just wondered if you thought you were ever guilty of such behaviour yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    But then you'd have to conclude from that perspective that an evangelical theist, such as one who uses a megaphone in town, is a "really massively right-in-your-face-and-up-your-nose theist" - because the equivalent to your "in your face atheist" is a theist that posts on forums in religion threads.

Also "picking holes"? Or questioning? Is it so wrong for someone to question a belief system that holds special-protection status in this country (eg, the head of state is also the head of the CoE. Our national anthem is theist. Religious groups get specially consulted on policies)?

If someone questions my agnostic atheist position on the internet, are they "in my face" or are they simply taking part in a discussion on the internet?

Hard to ignore the bloke on a megaphone in town who's shouting about eternal hellfire in front of your children. Hard to ignore those who repeatedly knock on the door (unless you just refuse to answer the door - but then you're secluding yourself somewhat "just in case" a theist knocks).

why not take it up with them there and then? why whine about it on a forum that they're unlikely to ever read or heed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because you brought it up. I just wondered if you thought you were ever guilty of such behaviour yourself.

remind me never to ask you a straight question again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why not take it up with them there and then? why whine about it on a forum that they're unlikely to ever read or heed?

Why whine on a forum about people using it for the purpose it was created? You know, having a discussion.

Tedious in the extreme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remind me never to ask you a straight question again

Lol, that's rich given you haven't answered the question I asked you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with people who want to go to Church on Sunday & somehow think that if they believe the right things, they will be rewarded after they die. I think the idea is fundamnetally bonkers, but if that's what makes people happy - fine.

The thing that turns me from a tolerant Atheist into a ranting one is the insidious rise of Creationism.

Creationism is dangerous to society, because it effectively dismisses the whole of science as wrong and/or evil, and no modern civilisation can afford to have a significant percentage of it's population growing up with no trust in rationality or evidence based reasoning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why whine on a forum about people using it for the purpose it was created? You know, having a discussion.

Tedious in the extreme.

this forum was created for whining about people who carry sandwich boards?

i never knew that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, that's rich given you haven't answered the question I asked you.

you could do this ducking and diving all day and night couldn't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this forum was created for whining about people who carry sandwich boards?

i never knew that!

It was created for people to discuss whatever interests them. If a thread doesn't interest you why not just stay out of it instead of whining about them talking about something you find tedious?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could do this ducking and diving all day and night couldn't you?

Ha ha, you still haven't answered the original question :D
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who says I don't take it up with them? I most certainly do. I've often discussed the metaphorical nature of God and The Devil's relationship to the two sides of human conciousness, I've debated the Big Bang with preachers, I've talked about the "dinosaur fossils planted by god" theory with street-evangelists.

And I also discuss it here.

And why not discuss it on a forum (a thing designed for discussion)? Should they only be for inane, inconsequential, nonsense like what Cher is wearing this week, or who some bloke that kicks an artificial bladder around an expensive park is shagging this week?
    Are they in-your-face Cher-ists? in your face football fans?

Or perhaps there's room to discuss something that effects all of us, be we theists, atheists, agnostics, whatever?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I have no problem whatsoever with people who want to go to Church on Sunday & somehow think that if they believe the right things, they will be rewarded after they die. I think the idea is fundamnetally bonkers, but if that's what makes people happy - fine.

The thing that turns me from a tolerant Atheist into a ranting one is the insidious rise of Creationism.

Creationism is dangerous to society, because it effectively dismisses the whole of science as wrong and/or evil, and no modern civilisation can afford to have a significant percentage of it's population growing up with no trust in rationality or evidence based reasoning.

why do you think that could happen?

if it does, why do you think people are increasingly looking beyond scientific rationalisation?

could it be because they want something more/else in their lives?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was created for people to discuss whatever interests them. If a thread doesn't interest you why not just stay out of it instead of whining about them talking about something you find tedious?

because i'm interested in saying it doesn't interest me