Options

FIVE HD on Freesat soon

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    terrykl wrote: »
    Meaningless post coupled with sarcasm you must lead a really exciting life!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Seems like I was wrong.
  • Options
    coolskincoolskin Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Any updates on when Channel 5 HD may ever launch on Freesat ?
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what can I say but coming soon.:rolleyes::D
  • Options
    johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes: I,ll believe that when I see it, $ky won't let freesat have that as it is currently a subscription based channel on $ky which they get money for .

But I do hope I,m wrong :)
  • Options
    scotorcascotorca Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I just received an e-mail today from Ch5 advising that they had no current plans to put 5 HD on Freesat!
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnboy726 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I,ll believe that when I see it, $ky won't let freesat have that as it is currently a subscription based channel on $ky which they get money for .

But I do hope I,m wrong :)

You are wrong - it is not a subscription channel but merely a FTV one requiring a FreesatFromSky card (or subscription card cancelled or valid) I am sure they do not get any part of the Sky subscription pot although they may receive assistance with their transmission costs.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 are being paid in part for their HD playout and transmission costs by Sky, the day they decide to launch on Freeview (DTT) they'll also go FTA on Satellite but not before. Twice they've turned down the opportunity to be on DTT so don't expect it anytime soon!
  • Options
    HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before & I'll say it again. If this country had any balls then channel five should not be allowed a terrestrial channel unless they kept up with technology, ie HD, without help from third party's with alternative interest. If they can't stand alone then hand the terrestrial channel to some one who can.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at their shambles on satellite, they can't keep up with SD technology let alone HD! :eek:
  • Options
    ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Well what can I say but coming soon.:rolleyes::D

That Freesat speak for anything from 5 years to never... :D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

I think FREESAT have come a long way in five years, and look forward to the next five years, Do you ever have anything to say, that has a point, or do you just post anti-FREESAT posts for your own amusment (quite sad really)
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean CH5 speak, but don't let facts stop you from having another pointless dig at Freesat. ;):D
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    I've said it before & I'll say it again. If this country had any balls then channel five should not be allowed a terrestrial channel unless they kept up with technology, ie HD, without help from third party's with alternative interest. If they can't stand alone then hand the terrestrial channel to some one who can.

If the country had any balls they'd acknowledge they made a mistake with Freeview because of the bandwidth issue and the fact that technology had changed between its inception and delivery and switch to satellite entirely thus saving a fortune on transmission costs which could then be spent on a dedicated FTA satellite belonging to either Freesat or the BBC.

I also agree though, that they should be turning off SD transmissions given that HD boxes will downscale to SD Tv's and 4K is on the horizon. There's no way I can see of supporting 3 broadcasting formats and this country seems to always live in the past and be slow to adopt. In Japan, they've been having SuperHiVis tests for a while and to my knowledge, the UK is only just thinking about making one.

We also had the farce of digital switch-over when the government had the perfect opportunity to switch everyone to sat and which took several years when no doubt in other countries they just get on and do it.

They should be shouting! 3 Millions sales and twice the number of new "subcriber" increases during the1st 3 months of 2012 compared to Sky!:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/freesat-celebrates-3-million-sales/
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If the country had any balls they'd acknowledge they made a mistake with Freeview because of the bandwidth issue and the fact that technology had changed between its inception and delivery and switch to satellite entirely
    If anyone had the balls to push that through they would soon end up without them in the face of an outraged GBP wielding pitchforks and scythes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the country had any balls they'd acknowledge they made a mistake with Freeview because of the bandwidth issue and the fact that technology had changed between its inception and delivery and switch to satellite entirely thus saving a fortune on transmission costs which could then be spent on a dedicated FTA satellite belonging to either Freesat or the BBC.

I also agree though, that they should be turning off SD transmissions given that HD boxes will downscale to SD Tv's and 4K is on the horizon. There's no way I can see of supporting 3 broadcasting formats and this country seems to always live in the past and be slow to adopt. In Japan, they've been having SuperHiVis tests for a while and to my knowledge, the UK is only just thinking about making one.

We also had the farce of digital switch-over when the government had the perfect opportunity to switch everyone to sat and which took several years when no doubt in other countries they just get on and do it.

They should be shouting! 3 Millions sales and twice the number of new "subcriber" increases during the1st 3 months of 2012 compared to Sky!:

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/freesat-celebrates-3-million-sales/

Other countries have both the same as freeview and the same as freesat with no proplems ie TNT in France, I do not think the UK would benifit from just satalite TV, or just cable or just broadband or just freeview a choice is better
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    If anyone had the balls to push that through they would soon end up without them in the face of an outraged GBP wielding pitchforks and scythes.

Are you kidding? People in this country are docile. Look at the crap the Tory government are inflicting on the poor at the moment (while they give tax cuts to the rich and the banksters get bonuses), privatising the NHS etc ... no riots, a few modest protests.

If the government scrapped DTT in favour of DST, there'd be a lot of grumbling - forum and blog posts would be made!!! using bold!!!! and CAPITAL LETTERS!!!! and a lot of emphatic punctuation!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a few petitions would be created and then ...

People would learn to live with it.

They should do the same with DAB and switch it over to DAB+.
  • Options
    davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    Are you kidding? People in this country are docile. Look at the crap the Tory government are inflicting on the poor at the moment (while they give tax cuts to the rich and the banksters get bonuses), privatising the NHS etc ... no riots, a few modest protests.

If the government scrapped DTT in favour of DST, there'd be a lot of grumbling - forum and blog posts would be made!!! using bold!!!! and CAPITAL LETTERS!!!! and a lot of emphatic punctuation!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a few petitions would be created and then ...

People would learn to live with it.

They should do the same with DAB and switch it over to DAB+.

Could not have said it better myself, its in the water you know, :D
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,836
    Administrator
    A number of posts have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it will come to freesat anytime soon. Not that bothered. Certainly would not pay for it. Sorry if that upsets anyone! 5 is a shambles anyway. They would not commit to freeview so I'm not expecting them to do anything for freesat. I will live with what I've got.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    I doubt it will come to freesat anytime soon. Not that bothered. Certainly would not pay for it. Sorry if that upsets anyone! 5 is a shambles anyway. They would not commit to freeview so I'm not expecting them to do anything for freesat. I will live with what I've got.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I watched anything on C5. Certainly nothing this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do watch some channel 5 but I watch more 5* so I do not care if it is in HD or not, but I do have to say there picture quality is bad, so in total I would say I only watch may be one hour per week of channel 5
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    I honestly cannot remember the last time I watched anything on C5. Certainly nothing this year.
    Me neither lol.

I rarely watch SD programming now (Dave Ja Vu, Challenge and Challenge +1 sometimes, can't think of others). Would be annoying to go back to only 5 FTV HD entertainment channels but I could cope. I'd just go back to downloading everything in HD instead. :D
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The picture quality on satellite of all the Channel 5 family of channels is shockingly awful. Channel 5 HD would be incredibly welcome, if only for on the rare occasions I want to watch something on Channel 5 I can at least enjoy it without pixellation happening every time there's something more than a static shot being shown.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Last thing i watched on Channel 5 HD was James DeGale's boxing fight, which was yonks back now and nothing else interested me.
    If it came to Freesat, it would be good but, the programming has to vastly improve and the PQ needs to aswell as their HD PQ isn't that good.

And yes, 3m unit sales is not something to knock as nothing.
    The platform is growing faster than Freeview did and that was like a rocket in speed so don't underestimate it by any means.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    And yes, 3m unit sales is not something to knock as nothing.
    The platform is growing faster than Freeview did and that was like a rocket in speed so don't underestimate it by any means.

One effect that seems to be building is people getting a Freesat or Freeview box for a second TV and then realising that virtually everything they watch is available on that and, if they don't need the sport, cancelling their Sky sub.

That has happened with one family member and a couple of friends.

It's a trend I expect will grow as more and more people realise they are paying Sky a lot of money to watch things that are mainly available for nothing.