Options

Which do you prefer, Windows 7 or 8/8.1?

Comments

• Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty predictable how this thread was going to go. Much like all the others.

What it should have asked is what age the users of windows 8 ....8.1 .... 8.1.1 are.
    And are you a like or not person.
    Would have been a more interesting result.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Windows 8/8.1
    1saintly wrote: »

What it should have asked is what age the users of windows 8 ....8.1 .... 8.1.1 are.

Yes, that would have probably been a more illuminating question. That said, all these threads do is give people a venting opportunity and the chance for some to advertise Classic Shell.

To answer the OP W8.1..
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7
    Windows 8 is a disaster. As simple as that really. Business just hates it with a passion.

Expect to see a big change for windows 9 which should hopefully get rid of the silly hybrid user interface
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

Oh very good. "Let's have a poll but if I don't like the result, I'll just dismiss those who vote the "wrong way" as old fogies, and complain that it asked the wrong questions".

Where's that missing smiley when you need it? And when will the complainers about the W8 complainers realise that Metro is the problem (on PCs), not Windows 8.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7
    shhftw wrote: »
    Was always going to be a sea change from using 7 I guess. 8 wasn't implemented at all cleverly.

I've installed SIB as a 3rd party menu, it's money for a beer. It's better than CS, IMHO it looks nicer, has better options and feels like it belongs with 8.1. CS looks as tacked on as the Modern UI is.

It's gone from bad to worse in 8.1 Update 1 IMHO. The apps with the auto-hiding title bar are a shambles.

I prefer start is back over classic shell as well, as you said it is beer money, or as I say, as cheap as chips. :)

I had a quick look at the new update and while it will make it better for people who do use the modern apps, it does nothing for me, even adding the new IE will do nothing as I will never use it. Once i get the new hard drive in my computer, I will go back to using Linux again for most of my browsing anyway.

I am glad MS put the shutdown button on the start screen, they should have done that at the start, not so sure if the close application update is needed, to be honest even with a mouse it is easy enough to drag the application to the bottom of the screen to shut it down, as long as people know that is the way to close it. May not be so easy with touchpad I suppose.

Even with the updates, I still prefer windows 7, Been sorting out a windows 7 laptop for the last couple of days for a work colleague and just prefer it to windows 8, I don't know why. Maybe it is the way it looks, I can't really put my finger on it,
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you have windows 8.1 constantly bout up like windows 7 does? I just want the classic desktop view.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8/8.1
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Can you have windows 8.1 constantly bout up like windows 7 does? I just want the classic desktop view.

Yes, right click taskbar, properties, go to navigation tab an select to go to desktop instead of start

If you are on a non touch device with latest update this should be the default
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am glad MS put the shutdown button on the start screen, they should have done that at the start,

Yes, though I've seen at least one person here moaning about the change! Doesn't want extra stuff on his start screen. MS can't win.
    not so sure if the close application update is needed, to be honest even with a mouse it is easy enough to drag the application to the bottom of the screen to shut it down, as long as people know that is the way to close it. May not be so easy with touchpad I suppose.

I'm assuming this has been added in response to customer complaints.
    Even with the updates, I still prefer windows 7, Been sorting out a windows 7 laptop for the last couple of days for a work colleague and just prefer it to windows 8, I don't know why. Maybe it is the way it looks, I can't really put my finger on it,

Yes, Win 7 is the best, though I've just about gotten used to Win 8 now. It's not the end of the world!
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Oh very good. "Let's have a poll but if I don't like the result, I'll just dismiss those who vote the "wrong way" as old fogies, and complain that it asked the wrong questions".

Where's that missing smiley when you need it? And when will the complainers about the W8 complainers realise that Metro is the problem (on PCs), not Windows 8.

Feel better now youve got that off youre chest :D:o:confused:;-):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that, until Windows 9 is released, the Windows 8 threads won't stop. When Windows 9 is released maybe some new moans will emerge?
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7
    I assume that, until Windows 9 is released, the Windows 8 threads won't stop. When Windows 9 is released maybe some new moans will emerge?

I'm sure there will be moans about windows 9

But my experience in the real world in IT is that windows 8 has had the most hostile and negative reception of any new operation system they ever released.

Lucky for them that they could still make loads of money from companies migrating from XP to windows 7 in the last year.

On a positive note the new boss at Microsoft has remembered that Microsoft are primarily a software company and finally making some sensible decisions like releasing MS office products for iOS devices.

With the idiot Ballmer gone I hope windows 9 is a much better effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Feel better now youve got that off youre chest :D:o:confused:;-):)

As an established user of Windows 8.0, an old user of MS-DOS, Windows 3.0, 3.1, 95, 98, XP, and a new user of Windows 7 (bit of gap filling there ;) ), I certainly do! :D :cool:
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Windows 7
    Windows 7, but only because it's what I use. I have seen W8, it looks pretty but never taken it for a drive so no reason to complain.

My laptop is 5 years old so with a bit of luck I might get a "stock clearance" W9 machine just after W10 is released in a few years time. I just hope it lasts that long.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8/8.1
    I've had many years in the IT industry and my entire life as a computer geek.

For me, I prefer Windows 8.1 (update 1 in particular).

Yet, I can see why many prefer Windows 7. Two main reasons for this IMO. 1. People don't like change. 2. Out of the box, Windows 7 feels more "finished".

Windows 8 was a very brave, but somewhat badly executed upgrade. I can see what they were trying to do, they are trying to have a finger in both pies (the emerging tablet market) as well as the traditional / corporate users.

Problem was, out of the box, and in its first version, it was too different, and had some pretty serious usability flaws.

This is much less true of 8.1 update 1. Many of the usability flaws have been improved / fixed. It's now possible to almost entirely remove the crap bits, even without 3rd party tools. All except the start screen, but I don't mind that as I don't find it any worse than the Windows 7 start menu, in some respects, a lot better IMO.

However, the underlying desktop OS on 8 is much improved over 7. It takes less resources, is more keyboard friendly (which is great for power users), features an excellent power user menu, much improved task manager and file explorer, much better copying process, and while many might loathe the start menu, when you just learn to use it to find anything whether its on your PC or on the internet, all easily navigable with the keyboard, then I get what IMO is probably the nicest desktop OS I've used to date. I've disabled all but the Start screen which I've kept and I now quite like.

Windows 8 also works fantastically well on a touchscreen. I thought it was more pleasant to use than any large android tablet even with "only" a Baytrail, and they are really no more expensive, just a little heavier is all. It has great response and suddenly "Makes Sense".

So, my vote is for 8.1 update 1, but I'll happily concede that Windows 7 "seems" easier for most people at the moment, but I think that will change eventually, although I wouldn't be surprised if people blindly declare their love for W9 whether it's any good or not just so they can be proved "right" about W8.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Windows 7
    Let's see what happens when W9 comes out.
    Will it be "what W8 should have been"?
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7
    I have used Windows 8.1 I'm not very impressed with it, I have Windows 7 from the Microsoft website they say 7 will finish in 2020 so I think i'll stick with 7 till then.:D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7

If the rumours that it will be like Gnome 3 are true, then there will be a lot more people complaining, at least with windows 8 you can make it act like windows 7 and below.

Gnome 3 is awful,
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows 8/8.1
    noise747 wrote: »
    If the rumours that it will be like Gnome 3 are true, then there will be a lot more people complaining, at least with windows 8 you can make it act like windows 7 and below.

Gnome 3 is awful,

Gnome 3 is OK.
    And Windows 8 is already like Gnome 3, in that you go to another screen to choose a new program to open.

Not quite sure how you would make Windows 9 more like Gnome 3, unless you've heard they are bringing in a vertical favourites bar or something?

Here's what Gnome 3 looks like, for those who don't know.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=SSGfS6K7pI0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 was a very brave, but somewhat badly executed upgrade.

With MS the first version of a product that has been radically revamped is often clunky and badly received. It often takes a few iterations to get it right. I expect the same will be true of Windows 8.
    This is much less true of 8.1 update 1. Many of the usability flaws have been improved / fixed. It's now possible to almost entirely remove the crap bits, even without 3rd party tools. All except the start screen, but I don't mind that as I don't find it any worse than the Windows 7 start menu, in some respects, a lot better IMO.

For me, just setting the desktop and start screen backgrounds the same makes for a much more pleasant experience. Seems like a minor thing but just makes it feel more integrated.
    However, the underlying desktop OS on 8 is much improved over 7. It takes less resources, is more keyboard friendly (which is great for power users), features an excellent power user menu, much improved task manager and file explorer, much better copying process.

So I gather, but I only have Win 8.1 on my new laptop that I've not used much so far other than for browsing. I actually bought it for a contract assignment (though it was on my TODO list anyway) but for various reasons ended up using their kit instead.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Windows 7
    jonner101 wrote: »

Windows 8 is a disaster. As simple as that really. Business just hates it with a passion.

Expect to see a big change for windows 9 which should hopefully get rid of the silly hybrid user interface

Business users tend to be more conservative and they have no need to sync their music or share it with others; they're more interested in getting things done in Word and Excel, etc:
    ffakr wrote:

I run Divisional IT at a Research University. We're no IBM.. I've only got ~1500 Laptops and Desktops in the Divison. ;-)

I have yet to receive a request for Windows 8 or 8.1 on a new machine or a re-install. Maybe one slipped by and was handled by my Desktop Support guys but I've still got a good pulse on what the clients want.

What I do hear, regularly, is "please don't install Windows 8 on my computer", "Can I get that with Windows 7", and "can you reinstall that with Windows 7 when it comes in?"

Personally, I favor OS X. I was weaned on school Macs but today it's all about a simple UI with good developer support that get's me BSD Unix under the hood. It's nice to carry around something close in functionality to my Linux servers without having to fight with Linux on my day-to-day laptop.
    That doesn't mean I'm not comfortable using and supporting Windows and Windows Server.. but I don't feel as comfortable in it.

I did make an effort to get used to Win8 though. I'm between Windows desktops in the house and I've been getting by with Parallels. I can say without reservations though.. I really don't like using Windows 8. Even 8.1.. it's still hugely awkward to have Metro intruding on my UI. My dream for 8.1 update 1 would be the ability to disable Metro entirely. I think I could actually deploy it to my users then.

BTW.. the ironic thing is.. I really liked what Microsoft was trying to do with unifying tablets and real personal computers across one flexible OS. It was a great idea.. in theory. It's the execution that was a total failure.
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/what-heck-happening-windows

Yet, I can see why many prefer Windows 7. Two main reasons for this IMO. 1. People don't like change. 2. Out of the box, Windows 7 feels more "finished".

Windows 8 was a very brave, but somewhat badly executed upgrade. I can see what they were trying to do, they are trying to have a finger in both pies (the emerging tablet market) as well as the traditional / corporate users.

Problem was, out of the box, and in its first version, it was too different, and had some pretty serious usability flaws.

However, the underlying desktop OS on 8 is much improved over 7. It takes less resources, is more keyboard friendly (which is great for power users), features an excellent power user menu, much improved task manager and file explorer, much better copying process, and while many might loathe the start menu, when you just learn to use it to find anything whether its on your PC or on the internet, all easily navigable with the keyboard, then I get what IMO is probably the nicest desktop OS I've used to date. I've disabled all but the Start screen which I've kept and I now quite like.

Windows 8 also works fantastically well on a touchscreen. I thought it was more pleasant to use than any large android tablet even with "only" a Baytrail, and they are really no more expensive, just a little heavier is all. It has great response and suddenly "Makes Sense".

So, my vote is for 8.1 update 1, but I'll happily concede that Windows 7 "seems" easier for most people at the moment, but I think that will change eventually, although I wouldn't be surprised if people blindly declare their love for W9 whether it's any good or not just so they can be proved "right" about W8.

I don't have a problem with Microsoft going down the route of a unified interface across all platforms and devices but they failed to take into account their corporate and business clients who want to work and not play. From day one, Windows 8 should have had a Classic Desktop Interface preference option that their business customers could opt for so that none of them need ever see a Metro tile - ever.

If that had been done then Win 8 might now be in second or first place in operating system market share instead of languishing in a poor third place behind the dead XP OS. With the move for leisure purposes to smartphones, tablets and netbooks, it should have been an absolute priority for Microsoft to keep their desktop PC business customers happy and to retain them but they failed to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with Microsoft going down the route of a unified interface across all platforms and devices but they failed to take into account their corporate and business clients who want to work and not play. From day one, Windows 8 should have had a Classic Desktop Interface preference option that their business customers could opt for so that none of them need ever see a Metro tile - ever.

Yes, this is also what I thought from day one, when I first started seeing the concepts for Windows 8. They should have hired me! :)
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8/8.1

I agree. However I feel for many the damage has already been done. W8 is improving with each major update, and MS do appear to be addressing many very valid concerns people had. There are people who are now doggedly sticking to 8.0 and after installing a third party Start Menu replacement are reluctant to even try the later updates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I got a new laptop today and obviously it had Windows 8 out of the box. Frankly, I'm on the verge of topping myself right now. It's an absolute chore to navigate, but I can see myself getting used to it eventually, these things take time to get used to after all! What I cannot fathom is how they could release such a shoddy, problem-riddled piece of software. I've been trying, without success, to get through all the Windows updates for the better part of 5 hours. I've been scouring the microsoft websites and the internet for solutions and fixes and tried plenty of them and I'm still no closer. Trying to use IE before I downloaded Chrome was a truly horrific experience, crashing constantly and hard to use. I just want these updates to work so I can get 8.1 and start using Classic Shell or something similar. At this rate, I'll be uninstalling 8 and going back to 7 by the end of Easter. It's not even like I'm some 60-something technophobe, I'm a pretty damn knowledgeable 20-something and I should not be finding technology this difficult at my age :p

If I had to vote right now, it would be Windows 7 all the way, but I'm willing to let Windows 8/8.1 (if I manage to get it) sit with me a little longer to see if the experience improves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, this is also what I thought from day one, when I first started seeing the concepts for Windows 8. They should have hired me! :)

I've been saying the above since October 2012 (I already had Windows 8 RTM then), here's what I wrote waaaaay back then:
    on 29-10-2012, 13:42

I still think we'll see MS add their own classic start button as an option in a future service pack, it's a no brainer (hopefully a 'boot to the desktop' option too but I'm less confident about that).
    on 06-11-2012, 00:45

...Download Classic Shell (or await SP1, in which MS are sure to introduce their own classic switchable interface IMO).

Well, we are sloooowly getting there (the Start Button isn't yet the Classic Start button that's needed and you cannot fully disable Metro) but I will doggedly stick with 8.0 and Classic Shell until Microsoft have completed the job. Yep, they should have hired we three, pre-release, and have listened. It would have saved them a lot of heartache and made them $billions.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Windows 7
    Jordosaur wrote: »
    I got a new laptop today and obviously it had Windows 8 out of the box. Frankly, I'm on the verge of topping myself right now. It's an absolute chore to navigate, but I can see myself getting used to it eventually, these things take time to get used to after all! What I cannot fathom is how they could release such a shoddy, problem-riddled piece of software. I've been trying, without success, to get through all the Windows updates for the better part of 5 hours. I've been scouring the microsoft websites and the internet for solutions and fixes and tried plenty of them and I'm still no closer. Trying to use IE before I downloaded Chrome was a truly horrific experience, crashing constantly and hard to use. I just want these updates to work so I can get 8.1 and start using Classic Shell or something similar. At this rate, I'll be uninstalling 8 and going back to 7 by the end of Easter. It's not even like I'm some 60-something technophobe, I'm a pretty damn knowledgeable 20-something and I should not be finding technology this difficult at my age :p

If I had to vote right now, it would be Windows 7 all the way, but I'm willing to let Windows 8/8.1 (if I manage to get it) sit with me a little longer to see if the experience improves.

Right then, Jordosaur, I have a solution for you. Get a cup of tea, sit down with the laptop, go to this website here ----> http://www.classicshell.net/ and try out that free software. Other forum members might be able to suggest other comparable software/tips. Hope that helps. :)