Options

Nothing has changed, nothing will change

2»

Comments

• Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to England. So sit back and relax.

Same conclusions drawn tournament after tournament. Same noises being made. Will anything happen? Heck no.

In a few months the Premier League will start and that will be focus for the FA.

Sad indictment that the transfer market gets more hubbub than the national team.

All the teams seem to be pretty evenly matched and many if not most games could have gone either way , i cant say that ive seen a clear winner yet .

However England / Honduras / South Korea .and a couple of others seem to be light years away from the decent teams . Jesus , even Australia , USA , Costa Rica and now Algeria are playing the kind of football we can only dream about .

What the hell is happening ??
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know Holland had a battle against the Aussies but they came out on top and have been impressive.

France have had an easy passage so far.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England at every tournament;

https://vine.co/v/MTrtQLuuhY0
  • Options
    Ryan_Ryan_ Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    The England team need to play together more often, perhaps more scheduled International friendlies during the year, get used to each other's style of play. But OP is right, the England team will never change - in fact I think it will only get worse.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Watching England at major tournaments is now a source of embarrassment (like a Scotsman watching Scotland in qualifiers). I didn't expect us to get out of the group, but the naive manner in which our team was humbled was actually quite laughable.

Jimmy Hills criticism of the national team in 1993 is still relevant today. England are years behind even middle ranking nations, never mind the top ranking ones in terms of technical ability. Our play was so rigid and laboured, so much so that an ok performance against Italy was surprising in that it wasn't as bad as it usually is. Uruguay are no great shakes, yet they bossed us when they had to. If we played the likes of Germany, they would have destroyed us (again).

It's a sad indictment that the only real consistent top drawer international player England have had since the early 1990s is David Beckham. For a developed nation with our history of Football, that is shocking. Even the likes of Paul Scholes never really made their international mark (I know he was played out of position regularly), Shearer would go through purple patches and we've produced some strong defenders, but for world class, midfield and attacking players, only Beckham really stands out.