Secrets of the Castle with Ruth, Peter and Tom BBC2 Tuesday 9pm

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where else can we be told, three times in a row, that there isn't much evidence for how a castle was decorated.

Where else can we be told that the Middle Ages were so colourful by someone looking at a bland sea of browns and yellows.

It really is utter trash.

As for Ruth...well, she'd have been on the ducking stool by now with her endless gurning, grimacing and goggling. Just horrendous and over-the-top.

I pity poor Sam Willis because there are going to be readers of this series of very negative comments who will be watching his programme tomorrow night so they can similarly rip it apart - presumably all the details of castle construction in the first three of the 'Secrets of the Castle' series will be covered better in the first five minutes of 'Castles'.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Peter Ginn seems to go a bit 'feral' in these programmes, he looks very dishevelled in this evenings episode. Even more so than he did during the War-Time Farm series.

I really like him.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I really like him.

I don't mind him either.
    Just commenting on how he gets so involved that he seems to forget to keep himself, err, well, spruce. :-D
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it. It's interesting and informative. And I have no problem with gurning and grimacing . She is hugely informative and engaging. So good to have programmes like this.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Where else can we be told, three times in a row, that there isn't much evidence for how a castle was decorated.

Where else can we be told that the Middle Ages were so colourful by someone looking at a bland sea of browns and yellows.

As for Ruth...well, she'd have been on the ducking stool by now with her endless gurning, grimacing and goggling. Just horrendous and over-the-top.

Well, you're wrong. And I suspect you know that.
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it. It's interesting and informative. And I have no problem with gurning and grimacing . She is hugely informative and engaging. So good to have programmes like this.

I agree. I love Ruth and have watched every show she has done.

I have to agree Peter is looking a bit feral ! however im not surprised after all the shows he has done. Im getting to like Tom and don't miss Alex.

Its took me a while to get into this show, now I find it fascinating. One thing I missed in last nights episode was the absence of Ruth cooking something. :D
  • poppy10poppy10 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ruth is amazing. Its a shame you don't like her as she is a wealth of knowledge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Anyone watching?

I love Ruth and her enthusiasm :D

Can't stand her. She's too damned loud - it isn't necessary or appropriate.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this show via the player, for me it is interesting, but I would prefer if the show had one presenter rather than three.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Can't stand her. She's too damned loud - it isn't necessary or appropriate.

It's her personality, can't see how being loud and enthusiastic isn't appropriate, hey ho...
    I couldn't suffer her in real life, but this isn't real life.

Haven't watched all the episodes yet, has Eve made an appearance, as she's gone into the 'Family business' I'm sure they could lever her into this.
    I'm missing our experts and background artists/volunteers from previous series too.
    Yes, I know it's not the Farm, but it's the Farm 'gang' abroad.
    If Alex was still involved, no doubt the Horses would be more of a feature.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK. Here's the big question. Would Ruth scrub up well with a bit of whack and lippy?
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Here's the big question. Would Ruth scrub up well with a bit of whack and lippy?

I would have to say yes. She did a bit on "Coast" and looked ok, she was dressed in normal clothes and looked very nice (I Would):blush::blush::blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I love all these series. History replayed. We know it can't be exactly the same, because anything done has to abide by modern Health and Safety Rules (protective eye glasses, hard hats, and why not??). What they are doing is showing us the procedures, the technicques, the skills. Fascinating to see how they deal with problems.

Yes, Ruth is loud, and has some amazing facial expressions, but I love her enthusiasm, the information she imparts. Her daughter was in the final episode, working with mother, and I was astounded at how much she is like her mother. Same voice, same movements. I'll be sorry when it's over, I've really enjoyed it.

I wonder what they will come up with next. We've had 16th century farm, Victorian farm, Edwardian farm, WWII farm, Tudor Monastery farm, Tudor Christmas, Victorian Christmas, Victorian Pharmacy. I can't wait to see what they come up with next. Maybe something from the Regency time??
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see that Eve turned up.........:D

Will we get a 'Castle at Christmas' episode ?
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Ruth's laughter (!) etc. I was facinated by the stone cutting - wow that was so time consuming and the masons must all have been masters of their trade.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Ruth is amazing. Its a shame you don't like her as she is a wealth of knowledge.

I find her utterly distasteful. I wouldn't want to be in the same room as her in real life so having her on the TV is almost equally unpleasant.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homebaked wrote: »
    I love all these series. History replayed. We know it can't be exactly the same, because anything done has to abide by modern Health and Safety Rules (protective eye glasses, hard hats, and why not??). What they are doing is showing us the procedures, the technicques, the skills. Fascinating to see how they deal with problems.

Really enjoyed this. As was mentioned in the final episode, the castle was almost an add-on - it was more about medieval life and communities. It's easy to take so much for granted these days and when I see how everything needed so much hard work and skill, I sometimes think we've lost a lot for all our "progress".

The project at Guedelon is fascinating. It's brilliant to see such a lengthy undertaking in a world where we complain about a few seconds' delay. I was especially impressed with the section on the window last night - we see these windows, or remnants of them and say "Oh that's marvellous" but it's when you see the work that went into them that you truly appreciate their brilliance.

There's more on the Guedelon project - and the experiences of the BBC team - here:

http://www.guedelon.fr/en/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I find her utterly distasteful. I wouldn't want to be in the same room as her in real life so having her on the TV is almost equally unpleasant.

Don't beat around the bush, tell us how you really feel.
    Forum Member
    Well, I enjoyed that series, not as much as the various Farm's, won't be downloading and keeping.
    Nice to see Eve make an appearance too.
    Really didn't get to see enough of the finished cushion that Ruth made, wanted a good look at her handiwork.

There did seem to be an audience for the smelting?, making Steel bit last week with the oohing and ahhing going on in the background, which seemed a bit odd.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it all very thought-provoking and was much impressed by the ingenuity of the mediaeval people who found so many clever ways to do things.

I do wonder how much actual labour Ruth does, given the length and perfection of her nails.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Ruth Goodman knows how to dress normally having seen her occasionally in my local coffee shop.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Did she spurn your advances once upon a time, or something?
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There did seem to be an audience for the smelting?, making Steel bit last week with the oohing and ahhing going on in the background, which seemed a bit odd.

The woman roped in to help with carving the window was normally a guide, so they presumably have tourists on site - helps with funding I guess!
    Mind you I expect large scale smelting was quite an unusual spectacle back in the 13th century so it is possible there would've been a crowd of bystanders back then too.
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    The woman roped in to help with carving the window was normally a guide, so they presumably have tourists on site - helps with funding I guess!
    Mind you I expect large scale smelting was quite an unusual spectacle back in the 13th century so it is possible there would've been a crowd of bystanders back then too.

Yes, looking at the website, the castle open for visits most of the time when work is going on. In fact, they warn when the craftsmen will be taking breaks so there won't be much to see.
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »

Just found it a bit odd that they seemed to skirt round it, when as you say, there's a guide, there must be someone for them to guide, especially when you can hear them oohing and aaahhing off camera.

Might have this program that mentioned Blacksmith's been linked with the dark arts and special powers, people do find fire strangely fascinating generally.