House Shares

GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
Forum Member
Does anyone on here live in a House Share?or have done in the past?how was it?

I currently live in one with 5 other people. Find it abit of a nightmare but it is all I can afford right now:(

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did it in my mid-20s when it was all I could afford. There's no way I'd want to do it now that I'm older.

It's a rite of passage of many people that you may hate at the time but look back in years to come as an eventful part of your life and you'll come out of it with lots of stories to tell about crazy housemates. It certainly teaches you to get on with different sorts of people. Even your best friend can become annoying if you share a house with them.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did for 3 years as a student.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived with my then boyfriend in a ten bedroomed house when I was in my mid 20s. We didn't know any of the other tenants. The landlord refused to fit locks outside each bedroom. Money went missing, post went missing, people ate my takeaways…apart from that, it was ok! It was the only option at the time. I wouldn't do it again. Well, I would hope that I would never have to do it again.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I've had horrible house shares and truly great house shares. The best are when you live with mates and the house is an extension of your social life. The worst are when you live with strangers with whom you have nothing in common. And then there is everything in between.

Usually it's a stage of your life that you move on from when you find a partner you like enough to play house with.

Try and find one you don't hate and enjoy it for what it is. You will never have he opportunity to mix with such random people on relatively intimate terms again.
  • GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Im having a horrible time in mine.Its a house with 5 other people. Its cheap but so noisy. No one seems to have any respect for anyone else and come in at all hours slamming doors.Which is especially bad for me being the first room.
    No one cleans up.

I have attempted but all that has done is meant that now no one bothers cleaning there own stuff and expects someone else will do it.Not me.

I have looked into moving but unfort not been able to due to not being able to make the "deposits" on the places I have been viewing.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in a house share when i first moved to London, and then again when the flat I was renting was sold. the first one was a large house, abotu 10 rooms, and was noisy and quite run down, but was in a great location and I was out partrying quite a lot anyway so it didn't matter too much. There were a few odd characters passed through, noisy Aussie bar staff playing acoustic guitars at all times in the morning after they finished work, students, etc. but the worst was an old fella who kept his dog in his small room with him, and by the looks of it, used to put it in the shower on occassions too.

The next shared house was much smaller, 4 rooms and everyone was quite sociable, we all got a say on who moved in if anyone left, we had the odd house party, everyone cleaned up after them and we took it in turns tidying communal areas, so it was pretty good, though I was still happy to move out and into my own flat after a couple of years.