Best and Worst Cities/Towns in the UK

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use the Knowhere Guide.

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/

Just type in the town name and choose what you want to find out about.

Checked my area and that site tells me we have Our Price and Virgin record shops here. Unsurprisingly we don't.

Possibly not the most accurate guide, then.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Swindon is a town, not a city.

Sorry. Bit late to the party on that one.
    japara wrote: »
    Since when was Merthyr Tydfil & Caerphilly made cities?

They aren't.

Thread title is 'Best and Worst Cities/Towns in the UK'.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd definitely throw Lewisham, Welling, Bexleyheath and Swanley in the hat for worst.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    How could I forget Belfast! Absolutely horrible place.

Have you been there?
    Within the last few years?
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Have you been there?
    Within the last few years?

About a decade ago. Never again.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    About a decade ago. Never again.

Then you need a return trip.
    Hundreds come over for stag and n night's from everywhere
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Then you need a return trip.
    Hundreds come over for stag and n night's from everywhere

That was part of the problem! Loads of drunks!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I went to Belfast en route to Dublin just over a month ago (it was cheaper than going directly). It had a few things of interest to us so we decided to stay a while and didn't regret it. The city centre seems to have had a rejuvenation and is in the current stages of continued improvement. The people also seemed very friendly, but very direct - they didn't seem to beat around the bush with formality, so it was quite like London and Cardiff in that regard so you might not find it as 'friendly' as a city like Edinburgh or Liverpool. There was a lot of disrepair around the place still, and the scars of a city that's been through a lot (and it still has various problems), and I suppose if industrial-oriented cities aren't your thing at all there's probably only limited scope in a visit to Belfast, but I didn't regret my visit at all.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradford gets a lot of bad press. I was born in one of its outlying villages, and used to love going 'into town' with my mum in the 60s and 70s as there were some great shops.
    In later years, TPTB decided to dig a bloody great hole in the centre for some insane reason, and leave it festering for donkeys.
    The surrounding slums were once grandiose areas that belonged to mill owners, etc. It only takes one crap family for the rot to set in if they let property go to rack and ruin.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradford gets a lot of bad press. I was born in one of its outlying villages, and used to love going 'into town' with my mum in the 60s and 70s as there were some great shops.
    In later years, TPTB decided to dig a bloody great hole in the centre for some insane reason, and leave it festering for donkeys.
    The surrounding slums were once grandiose areas that belonged to mill owners, etc. It only takes one crap family for the rot to set in if they let property go to rack and ruin.

Bradford is on it's way back but will take years before the negative stereotypes are gone. Having said that, a lot of those stereotypes are true and I say this as a Bradfordian (who lives in Huddersfield).
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,968
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Best
    - Edinburgh

Worst
    - Jaywick - I only learned of this hovel's existence because of a similar thread on here. I still can't believe how bad it looks. It's like something from the 3rd world.

Jaywick. Good grief! I don't think I would venture there in daylight, never mind night-time.

(Reminds self yet again about being lucky to live in Edinburgh).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradford is on it's way back but will take years before the negative stereotypes are gone. Having said that, a lot of those stereotypes are true and I say this as a Bradfordian (who lives in Huddersfield).

I agree with you Chilli. As an aside, do you pronounce Bradford as 'Bratford', because I do? It might be a generational thing.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst (based on having visited, not lived):

Sheffield
    Leicester
    Nottm.
    Birmingham
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you Chilli. As an aside, do you pronounce Bradford as 'Bratford', because I do? It might be a generational thing.

I do. Not technically from Bradford, although live less than a mile over the border in Aireborough, but I've always pronounced it like that. Not sure if it's generational, but I'm late 30s. Not sure how my Mum pronounces it.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best: Cambridge

Worst: Oxford

Also regarding Bradford - A giant shopping centre that's a clone of every other up and down the country isn't going to save the city. There's a new 'independent quarter' that is great, but walk two mins the other way and you're getting asked for cigs and change by the congregation of drug addicts that hang out in the square. Everything is too spread out unfortunately.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Best
    - Edinburgh

Worst
    - Jaywick - I only learned of this hovel's existence because of a similar thread on here. I still can't believe how bad it looks. It's like something from the 3rd world.

It has the look of an area that's been left to rot. It looks more like houses that are on wasteland.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Best : OXFORD
    Worst : Cambridge
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Best

1. Sheffield
    2. London
    3. Cardiff

Worst
    1. Newport
    2. Birmingham
    3. Stockport
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    Best : OXFORD
    Worst : Cambridge

Why don't you sort it out with a boat race?
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't but that is because I give myself airs and graces.

Sifter22, you are right and I wish the council would get rid of that gang of drunk Polish blokes who sit by the Oastler statue day in day out. And don't go in (what was) John Street Market....by God that is grimmer than Hell.

But it has to start somewhere and I hope it continues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't but that is because I give myself airs and graces.

Sifter22, you are right and I wish the council would get rid of that gang of drunk Polish blokes who sit by the Oastler statue day in day out. And don't go in (what was) John Street Market....by God that is grimmer than Hell.

But it has to start somewhere and I hope it continues.

Lol.:) It's over 20 years since I went in John Street Market and it was dog rough even then.
    About 15 years ago I was in Drumchapel, Glasgow, en route to the highlands. It was only around 9 in the morning, but drunks were staggering round, shouting their heads off, and one was swaying and clinging onto the cash machine I was waiting to use. Coils of barbed wire were trimming almost every building. I was bricking it and was glad to leave.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Best (in no particular order):

Liverpool - One of the better looking cities in the UK, and even though the city centre is quite small for a major city, it has lots of districts and a huge amount of impressive architecture, old and new. It has a unique feel and aesthetic about it that sets it apart from the likes of Manchester and Birmingham which for me, don't have much character.

London - so vibrant, lots of character, so much to see and do. It is overcrowded, but in some ways that adds to the vibrancy, especially if you're a tourist. I don't like how London comes across in the media - definitely full of its own self importance, but that isn't anything to do with the city itself really.

Chester - This makes the list because it is close to me and I have a lot of nice memories from there. For such a small city, it surprisingly has a huge amount of quality bars and restaurants, is rather vibrant and is particularly nice around Christmas because of its olde world and Roman features. The race course being right in the city centre adds a lot of atmosphere when there is a race meet, or bonfire night fireworks. Chester zoo is also world class.

Leeds - only been there once, but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was, clean, very easy and quick to get to rural areas outside the city and a good, vibrant nightlife.

Worst - a bit harsh, but I'm not a fan of Manchester or Birmingham. They could do with more character and improved planning to make the cities more accessible and friendly. They both have great features and resources, such as international airports, but I think the likes of Liverpool and London represent Britain a lot better to international tourists.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Why don't you sort it out with a boat race?

We did last time , and won...again
  • BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: London, Cardiff, Leeds

Worst: Blackburn, Wigan, Swansea.
    Been to those three and have no intention of ever going back.
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best -
    1 - London
    2 - Edinburgh
    3 - St Albans
    4 - Hertford
    5 -Leeds

Worst
    1 - Jaywick
    2 - Doncaster