Freeware Software Vault?

PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am the membership secretary of an Amateur Sports Club, and take the laptop to sessions to log payments etc.

It has member details on it, so, to be safe, would prefer to kepp member details in a secure area, just in case laptop gets "mislaid"

Can anyone suggest suitable free software vault, or similar, programs that would allow me to keep the member data (mainly Access and Excel) safe.

Thanks

Comments

• Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Not sure it meets your definition of 'secure' but Dropbox seems like it would do this for you :)
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it won't do, as we are not on-line where we meet.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The files would synchronise/backup with Dropbox whenever you're back on wifi...

There are free encryption progs available should you feel the need but I don't think you necessarily need to go that far.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What version of Access and Excel are you using?

It is possible that you can password protect the files from within Access/Excel without needing any third party apps.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    password protection for office documentation is pretty easy to remove.

If you are using windows pro, enterprise or ultimate then you can use the built in encryption, bitlocker. Else something like 7-zip allows you to compress with a password but you would have to extract and compress each time you want to edit a file.

Whatever you use, the issue is one over convince. If you don't store the password then you will be prompted for it each time. if you store the password and don't encrypt the whole disk, then somebody with physical access to your laptop can reset the password and thus gain access to the encrypted storage.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axcrypt might be worth a look to encrypt, but not hide, files. http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Note that MS Office creates temporary files for easy recovery of files in the event of a crash or whatever.

http://office-recovery.com/excel.asp

The temporary files may be deleted when the application is closed normally but they could still be recovered by a file recovery program. eg Recuva

I don't know what best practice is to deal with this.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    better off attaching a chain from the laptop to your belt of something, not losing the laptop is your concern!
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    better off attaching a chain from the laptop to your belt of something, not losing the laptop is your concern!
    It always amazes me how many people seem oblivious to physical security. I would have thought if it is going to be used around an area where members of the public have access then a Kensington lock would be a must.

As for data security you should really be looking at encrypting the hard drive. If it is running Windows 8 or Windows 7 Ultimate you could go with Bitlocker which is builtin. Otherwise Truecrypt would be better than nothing even if it is no longer supported. Some business AV software also offer encryption facilities.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    . . . a Kensington lock would be a must.

Off-topic Kensington Lock story - a neighbour rang me (as the local computer dude) saying he'd been given a monitor that had a huge earth strap fastened to it, and he wanted to know what to connect it to. Intrigued, I went round to have a look. I said it's a Kensington Lock and this monitor is ****ing stolen (prob from an office). He sawed it off. Council estates huh ?
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has already been said, some type of cloud based storage would probably be sufficient. If you have a decent password for cloud storage access then this may by OK, but if the data you are saving is sensitive then I would suggest something a bit more secure.

I personally used Google Drive with Boxcryptor to add an extra level of security. Files can be saved to Google Drive locally and these will be synchronised to their servers whenever you get an internet connection.

You could also backup this data to an encrypted USB flash drive memory stick if you're concerned with something happening before the data get synced.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Axcrypt might be worth a look to encrypt, but not hide, files. http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

Note that MS Office creates temporary files for easy recovery of files in the event of a crash or whatever.

http://office-recovery.com/excel.asp

The temporary files may be deleted when the application is closed normally but they could still be recovered by a file recovery program. eg Recuva

I don't know what best practice is to deal with this.
    I've got AxCrypt installed on a couple of machines and it does seem to shred (overwrite any temporaries with random data) any temporary files it creates. The good bit about it is that the filenames are saved as ext.ax (i.e addresses.xl.ax IIRC) and when you double click on them they'll launch the decryption program which will in turn fire up whatever program is needed to use them.

One thing to remember: if you forget you key/passphrase with AxCrypt then the data is gone forever. If you don't want to have the fuss with having to enter the key every time with AxCrypt you can have it remember the key. This means that if someone manages to access the machine then they will be able to view the data, but the minute it's copied off the machine, it's unusable without the key. As good practice I'd recommend entering the key every time as it means you're less likely to forget what it is and not just rely on the machine remembering it for you.
  • StompaStompa Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phred wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest suitable free software vault, or similar, programs that would allow me to keep the member data (mainly Access and Excel) safe.
    I'd go with one of the TrueCrypt replacements, e.g. VeraCrypt:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still doesn't answer the fundamental questions of opening a Word or Excel or Access encrypted file.

Is the plain text now copied somewhere else on the hard drive?

Iqoniq thinks that Axcrypt is shredding something, but what? Does it shred its own and Office temporary files?
    What does VeraCrypt do? Are temp files all within the container or are some in C: Appdata Local Roaming etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does VeraCrypt do? Are temp files all within the container or are some in C: Appdata Local Roaming etc?
    Assuming it's the same as TrueCrypt it'll create an encrypted virtual drive. I guess you may be able to tweak Office so that temp files are stored within the virtual drive. Or maybe a more drastic solution might be to encrypt the C drive itself:

https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=System%20Encryption

though personally I'd be a bit wary of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's difficult, technically, to remove temporary files, even after deletion.

For example, you could run CCleaner for Windows temps and Appdata temps and then Wipe Free Space.

But it's not exactly convenient every time you open or edit a file

Someone must know the way it is supposed to be done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my mind, the scenario is you go to your local society or out and about and your laptop is stolen.

A lost USB or CD/DVD is easy. If it is encrypted, you won't get any data.

I think for a laptop, tablet, phone just make sure it's not lost/stolen/interfered with.

Is that sufficient for the Data Protection Act and non-workplace users with personal information on others in public?
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phred wrote: »
    Unfortunately it won't do, as we are not on-line where we meet.

What about DropBox (or equiv) and a PAYG wifi dongle.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trucrypt & similar. means dragging files in and out of a virtual container (appearing as an extra drive on the pc). Dont forget to secure delete the original file.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sophos free edition has both encryption and secure delete.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    trucrypt & similar. means dragging files in and out of a virtual container (appearing as an extra drive on the pc). Dont forget to secure delete the original file.
    You could simply have the files in the container, and use them directly from there.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Truecrypt, and any temporary files created always appear in the same folder as the file being worked on.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Still doesn't answer the fundamental questions of opening a Word or Excel or Access encrypted file.

Is the plain text now copied somewhere else on the hard drive?

Iqoniq thinks that Axcrypt is shredding something, but what? Does it shred its own and Office temporary files?
    I don't think it's difficult, technically, to remove temporary files, even after deletion.

For example, you could run CCleaner for Windows temps and Appdata temps and then Wipe Free Space.

But it's not exactly convenient every time you open or edit a file

Someone must know the way it is supposed to be done.
    I'm answering the questions in reverse.

Most MS Office software deletes any temporary files it creates the moment you close the document. Whether it shreds them or not I don't know. In order for AxCrypt to shred them it would either need to take control from the program to implement it's own shredding routines, or at least mark the files position on disk and then overwrite them itself. Either of these seem unlikely.

I think what AxCrypt deletes is the temporary files it creates itself. When you open a Word file (for instance) that's encrypted with AxCrypt, it creates the file as Word needs this file to actually use it as it just sees the encrypted file as gibberish. When you save and close the document, AxCrypt then takes the amended file and encrypts it again without you needing to do anything. After it's done that the shredding begins.

Any temporary files AxCrypt creates itself it does delete. Encrypt an image with AxCrypt, view it and when you close it you'll see AxCrypt go through a shred cycle. Whether your image viewer has made temporary files or something is down to that software, so whether it gets deleted or not is down to that specific piece of software as is where it creates them. As I said, MSOffice (and OpenOffice variants) all delete their temp files as well so you wouldn't have to use CCleaner (which also offers shredding functions).

As an asides, shredding on a memory stick is going to drastically reduce the lifespan of it. At the very most with a memory stick all you need is a 1-pass write over. Also, if someone is determined to retrieve data then they will. I have a copy of Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro and I've managed to pull data from a drive which has been formatted a few times and wasn't in the same file system that the data was originally written to.