How often do you do Windows Updates?

2»

Comments

• SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Those "nagging updates" will include security updates. Goodness knows what's been compromised if you're using XP online.

No they wont. Microsoft stopped supporting XP a while ago. And yes I watch Iplayer and use youtube, things like that - if theres a problem I'll simply reload Windows, theres nothing essential. It doesnt run antivirus or malware programs because I dont want to use up processing power or memory on that, I'm careful where I go online and whenever I check which I do from time to time, nothing malicious is found.

People said that about Windows 2000 as well. I used it online for more than 7 years past its date of support with absolutely no trouble at all. The only reason I changed from doing so was that hardware support became patchy and drivers for new hardware unavailable, and also some software support became difficult. But the OS still ran reliably without being attacked and destroyed by some online virus or worm.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they wont. Microsoft stopped supporting XP a while ago. And yes I watch Iplayer and use youtube, things like that - if theres a problem I'll simply reload Windows, theres nothing essential. It doesnt run antivirus or malware programs because I dont want to use up processing power or memory on that, I'm careful where I go online and whenever I check which I do from time to time, nothing malicious is found.

People said that about Windows 2000 as well. I used it online for more than 7 years past its date of support with absolutely no trouble at all. The only reason I changed from doing so was that hardware support became patchy and drivers for new hardware unavailable, and also some software support became difficult. But the OS still ran reliably without being attacked and destroyed by some online virus or worm.

Yeeesss, I do know that. I was meaning that Windows Updates on an operating system that's supported will include security updates. I was specifically talking about the nagging updates in bold.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yeeesss, I do know that. I was meaning that Windows Updates on an operating system that's supported will include security updates. I was specifically talking about the nagging updates in bold.

Ohh yes, absolutely, and I agree if you use such a system like W7/8/8.1 or most current versions of Linux you should update regularly, indeed the PC I am writing this on is Windows 7 and set to just automatically do updates, but this is a desktop, and its on all the time, so I hardly notice at all anyway as its always done in the middle of the night.

Laptops however can be a pain, as the first thing they do when you switch on is check for updates, and if you have to go through the whole 10 minute rigmarole of waiting for the software to check if there are updates available (which slows everything down, especially the wi-fi connection), and if they are, downloading and installing the updates and then being nagged to restart and all that, its a damn nuisance. As my netbook is XP, I dont have to do that, and I know I can use it straight away without everything crawling along at the start.