Microsoft unveils Windows 10 operating system

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some catches. See my post above on what you will lose when upgrading.

One thing you lose, as you discovered in one of your previews, is you cannot disable auto-update - if you're a Home user. But you can if you're a Pro, or higher, user.

If you already on Win 7/8.x Pro you will be eligible for 10 Pro, so you won't have to worry about that.

Otherwise, if you don't like it, then either skip the upgrade or pay the upgrade price to Pro.

Oh right, I did not realise they would give you the pro.
    That is better then as my windows 7 and 8.1 is pro, saying that I do not really like Windows 10. too many apps in the way and more integrated than windows 8 is, if that is possible.
    I have also had a few problems with it, I know it is still in beta, but if they are launching next month then those problems should have been sorted.

The auto updates thing is a pain to be honest, they should realise that some people want to have control over what is downloaded to their machine and when.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have read that the free version will be the home version, so I would be going from Windows 8.1 pro to 10 home, not much of a upgrade.

Not true
    Go to windows 10 faq and tips
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Look for 'What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?'
    When you upgrade, you’ll stay on like-to-like editions of Windows.
    Summary:
    Windows 7
    Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 8
    Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows Phone
    Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. The availability of the upgrade may vary by hardware maker, mobile operator or carrier.
    Excluded editions
    Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1 are excluded from the free upgrade offer.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    The auto updates thing is a pain to be honest, they should realise that some people want to have control over what is downloaded to their machine and when.

You can delay it under windows updates advanced options or even disable the windows update in services.
    But, its moved on now. much like any modern device app and OS updates. Many progs going forward will now get their updates through the store, not just apps.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150601VL200.html
    Pricing is meant to be changing with a lesser 'to manufacturer' discount. Compared to the 'with Bing; discount I assume.
    Apart from the big success in schools, Chrome OS is much a minnow, the clean simple safe OS not really appealing to the masses.

" the sources indicated. Moreover, notebooks sized at 14-inches and larger are not qualified for any licensing discounts."

It will be interesting how things will change in retailers etc, with my local Sainsburys currently selling basic 15" W8 notebooks at about £200 (Baytrail Atom type chipset).
    And what will happen to those 'crippled by 1GB Ram' 8" cheap tablets etc ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Not true
    Go to windows 10 faq and tips
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Look for 'What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?'

Summary:
    Windows 7
    Windows 7 Starter will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Basic will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 8
    Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 with Bing will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 Pro will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
    Windows Phone
    Windows Phone 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. The availability of the upgrade may vary by hardware maker, mobile operator or carrier.
    Excluded editions
    Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1 are excluded from the free upgrade offer.
    I realised that from NewWorldMan post.

You can delay it under windows updates advanced options or even disable the windows update in services.
    But, its moved on now. much like any modern device app and OS updates. Many progs going forward will now get their updates through the store, not just apps.

Windows updates advance options on Windows 10 do not allow you to change Windows update options, I tried it and nothing was there. To do that I had to go into the reg and change that, but that did not work and there was another way that I can't remember now. It could have been services.

I do not mind how they update, but I like control of when they update, the only thing on my computer that I allow to update without me knowing is my security.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My laptop is 3 months old it has windows 8.1 not had the icon appear yet , is there anything In can do to get the icon as I am interested in upgrading to windows 10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/01/windows_10_upgrade_app_arrives_on_windows_7_and_8_tempted/

10 again is very much about its app store with W7 users not doing the free upgrade notunable to run the, falsely worded, 'universal' apps'.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    I've got a Windows 7 laptop that I upgraded to Windows 10 Technical Preview - do I have to downgrade back to Win 7 to get my free version of Windows 10 Home?
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    My laptop is 3 months old it has windows 8.1 not had the icon appear yet , is there anything In can do to get the icon as I am interested in upgrading to windows 10

Microsoft community answer to this;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pricing and stuff confirmed.
    http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/06/windows-10-pricing-if-youre-not-upgrading-itll-cost-up-to-199/

I expect I'll be testing an upgrade in about 11 months time, possibly reverting backwards in just under the free 12 months.
  • rubble2rubble2 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I have a machine running Win 7 Pro (32bit). I would like to take the Win 10 upgrade opportunity to install a 64bit version but reading the info available I will only be able to upgrade like for like so will be stuck with Win10 Pro 32bit.

My question is, will it be cheaper/better to upgrade Win 7 to 64bit first and then take the free upgrade to Win 10, or should I upgrade to Win 10 as is and then replace with Win 10 64bit?

Thanks
    Forum Member
    rubble2 wrote: »
    I have a machine running Win 7 Pro (32bit). I would like to take the Win 10 upgrade opportunity to install a 64bit version but reading the info available I will only be able to upgrade like for like so will be stuck with Win10 Pro 32bit.

My question is, will it be cheaper/better to upgrade Win 7 to 64bit first and then take the free upgrade to Win 10, or should I upgrade to Win 10 as is and then replace with Win 10 64bit?

Thanks

I've seen a few people asking this in the Microsoft community.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/win-7-32bit-to-win-10-64-bit/66aac325-9d49-4c81-afa3-0d30af83fe63
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-i-be-able-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-pro-32/ec4cf980-886d-40c3-a97c-a5754117fd23
    Probably worth keeping an eye on any further responses.

Obviously the upgrade cannot change the architecture on its install.
    But you will be able to get the iso and do a clean install.
    Whether that is free, not quite/fully answered yet there to be crystal clear.
  • rubble2rubble2 Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I've seen a few people asking this in the Microsoft community.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/win-7-32bit-to-win-10-64-bit/66aac325-9d49-4c81-afa3-0d30af83fe63
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-i-be-able-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-pro-32/ec4cf980-886d-40c3-a97c-a5754117fd23
    Probably worth keeping an eye on any further responses.

Obviously the upgrade cannot change the architecture on its install.
    But you will be able to get the iso and do a clean install.
    Whether that is free, not quite/fully answered yet there to be crystal clear.

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on this and see if any further information becomes available
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...But you will be able to get the iso and do a clean install.

Will they issue everyone a new activation key with the upgrade for clean installs, or will Win10 accept Win7/8 keys?
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I have a Sony Vaio running W7 64bit (Intel i5, 6Gb RAM). After a reinstall last year I used the Windows Backup/Restore utility to create a system image. Obviously, I will create another, up-to-date, image before installing W10. My question is, will W10 recognize an image created under W7 if I need to revert?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Not something we can discuss in detail here, but I wonder how good the activation security is on this version and how long before the hackers will have a pirate version up and ready. :D
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Will they issue everyone a new activation key with the upgrade for clean installs, or will Win10 accept Win7/8 keys?
    I would assume that if you did take the upgrade path then did a clean install later, that the key would work, as it would be recognised as being valid for Windows 10.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine that the best way to go would be to make a full backup clone of your current Windows 7 hard drive and then you can try out Windows 10. If you have problems or just don't like it, it's a simple and quick matter of replacing it with the back up to get you back to exactly where you started,

A question I've wanted to ask about restoring cloned copies. Will it still stay properly activated after swapping back in?
    If you've upgraded the original to Windows 10 will that not change your activation key such that you can't just simply swap back in the cloned copy of Windows 7?
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thankyou for the help , found I had some updates waiting , all done now :D
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not something we can discuss in detail here, but I wonder how good the activation security is on this version and how long before the hackers will have a pirate version up and ready. :D

Various versions of Windows 10 have been available on Torrent sites for ages. I wouldn't bother with a 'fake' OS for many reasons, but if it ends up like previous incarnations, it will be a popular download.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    I have a Sony Vaio running W7 64bit (Intel i5, 6Gb RAM). After a reinstall last year I used the Windows Backup/Restore utility to create a system image. Obviously, I will create another, up-to-date, image before installing W10. My question is, will W10 recognize an image created under W7 if I need to revert?

I mentioned earlier that my main/only concern about my Vaio laptop and Windows 10 is that I would not be able to turn off the keyboard backlight. And that would be because I am assuming that the company who bought Viao will not be offering any support for Windows 10, and as a result there will not be a Vaio Control Panel that works, or can be persuaded to work, in Windows 10.
    If I am right about this the Vaio will be sticking with 8.1.

I will let somebody else deal with your actual question :) as I use a third party Backup/Restore which works at Boot.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    A question I've wanted to ask about restoring cloned copies. Will it still stay properly activated after swapping back in?
    If you've upgraded the original to Windows 10 will that not change your activation key such that you can't just simply swap back in the cloned copy of Windows 7?

The idea would be to make a System Image or a clone of W7.
    Upgrade to W10
    Immediately you are sure the upgrade is successful and correctly Activated, make another System Image or Clone of the now W10

This highlights the drawback with Cloning. You need a drive for each copy.
    System Images are better. You can make lots on a suitably sized drive.

Now you have the problem of longevity. See my post yesterday #276
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea would be to make a System Image or a clone of W7.
    Upgrade to W10
    Immediately you are sure the upgrade is successful and correctly Activated, make another System Image or Clone of the now W10

This highlights the drawback with Cloning. You need a drive for each copy.
    System Images are better. You can make lots on a suitably sized drive.

Now you have the problem of longevity. See my post yesterday #276

Thanks.
    I've never really got into system imaging or cloning.
    I did make one system image of one of my Windows 8 installs, using the inbuilt tool, but I've never needed to use it.

What I was really asking was about the activation, but I think I was remembering a situation wrongly.
    I thought I'd had problems with activation after reinstalling Windows 8 one time, but I think that was to do with the fact that if you added Windows Media Center to Windows 8 they issued you with a new activation key for some reason, and that caused confusion with me trying to use the wrong key.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the situation with Media Center in Windows 10?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    What's the situation with Media Center in Windows 10?

It is gone, no more, it will not be included with Windows 10 and will not be available either.
    Do anyone still use it?