Options

Telegraph: BBC Three and Four face closure

tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Industry insiders are expecting that BBC Three and BBC Four will face the axe in a review that the BBC Trust will be carrying out next year into the range and scope of the BBC's services.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8201672/BBC-Three-faces-renewed-closure-threat.html

Sounds like Murdoch's dreams have partially come true.

If BBC Three goes, don't expect young adults to be covered by the BBC too much. BBC One and Two are aimed at much older demographics and it's likely that young adults will turn to the commercial sector where Sky will be waiting with open arms. Except the documentaries, political debates, current affairs and other public service programming for young adults (who, shock horror, also pay the licence fee!) won't feature on BBC Three's nearest competitors, ITV2 or E4. A major loss to young adults in my opinion and one few except Sky and the Murdoch's will benefit from.

And if BBC Four goes, that'll be a major loss to quality public service broadcasting and British television will suffer in my view as I believe it is unlikely that either BBC One or Two will take up the slack of offering intelligent and thought provoking programming to the extent that BBC Four does.

And if BBC Three and Four go, what happens to the additional space created, particularly on Freeview where that space is limited and valuable, and indeed, CBBC and the CBeebies channel?

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you ever make a post that doesn't have some sort of anti-Murdoch jibe in it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Well, considering that James Murdoch made a very public backlash against the BBC a couple of years ago at the MacTaggart Lecture, and his father is one of the biggest advocates for getting rid of the BBC, I'd say it's fair game I mention them when it comes to individuals who have a vested interest to reduce or get rid of the BBC.
  • Options
    SlugerSluger Posts: 861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take the best of BBC3 and put on BBC1, and like wise BBC4 on BBC2. There is plenty of dross in the schedules to make room for it.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you don't think it is actually nothing to do with Murdoch, and in fact is due to a licence fee freeze on top of more teats sucking at the licence fee pie? (S4C, World Service)?

Blair and Murdoch were like peas in a pod once, but it didn't do a great deal to erode the BBC or effect broadcast impartiality?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Four has built up quite a following so I would expect a similar campaign to the one for BBC 6 Music.

I don't know as much about BBC Three, it does not see a very expensive network to operate. I suppose they could make it a BBC 1+1 as a temporary measure though I hate +1 stations as a waste of space.

It also makes a channel available for occasional sports use and the olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sluger wrote: »
    Take the best of BBC3 and put on BBC1, and like wise BBC4 on BBC2. There is plenty of dross in the schedules to make room for it.
    BBC Three's programmes wouldn't work on BBC One (there are a few exceptions, such as Gavin and Stacey and Little Britain). BBC One is aimed at a much older demographic and the programmes would just not fit in right. Same problem with BBC Two.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's unrealistic for the BBC to have no digital channels?

yes BBC Two is but I mean ones launched since the digital era like BBC Choice in 1998?

To be fair many with Freeview would welcome something else in it's place. BBC Alba and CBeebies and BBC Parliament should be first to close though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Three's programmes wouldn't work on BBC One (there are a few exceptions, such as Gavin and Stacey and Little Britain). BBC One is aimed at a much older demographic and the programmes would just not fit in right. Same problem with BBC Two.

Well the demographic will have to change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you don't think it is actually nothing to do with Murdoch, and in fact is due to a licence fee freeze on top of more teats sucking at the licence fee pie? (S4C, World Service)?

Blair and Murdoch were like peas in a pod once, but it didn't do a great deal to erode the BBC or effect broadcast impartiality?
    Seems a bit odd that once the coalition got in, Murdoch has gone in to meet David Cameron, and then all of a sudden major cuts to the BBC and Murdoch goes for a full buy-out of BSkyB. Coincidence? Maybe history will answer that one.

And yep, Labour did give concessions to BSkyB and Murdoch during their time, Sky Picnic anyone?
    Surely it's unrealistic for the BBC to have no digital channels?
    The BBC will still have the BBC News channel, BBC Parliament and possibly CBeebies and CBBC.
    To be fair many with Freeview would welcome something else in it's place. BBC Alba and CBeebies and BBC Parliament should be first to close though.
    CBeebies? It's one of the BBC's most popular channels! BBC Parliament is a important cornerstone for democracy, it would be an affront to transparent politics if BBC Parliament was closed.
    Well the demographic will have to change.
    I bet it won't... it would have to be a massive historical shift for that to happen. Anyway, if BBC One or Two became a young adult oriented channel, I'd wager money that there'll be calls for that change to be reversed. Some people just dislike the idea of public service broadcasting offering programming to young adults, regardless of the fact that they too pay the licence fee.

And the licence fee won't be reduced either if these changes go through, I'd wager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Times they are a changing. The BBC will just need to face it.
    58% believe the BBC is value for money, which means 42% don't. Those numbers ain't good.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government might struggle closing down BBC4, BBC3 will be easy of course.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    BBC4 is the best channel in Britain. I can't see them closing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The government might struggle closing down BBC4, BBC3 will be easy of course.
    If BBC Three is so easy to close, why would the Labour Government agree to allow the BBC to launch it back in 2003 (and when BBC Choice became youth oriented back in 2000)?
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the closure of these two channels is the must speculated on ever, anytime someone mentions BBC cut baks, they or someone else reacting to them, puts BBC3 & BBC 4 on the chopping block.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If BBC Three is so easy to close, why would the Labour Government agree to allow the BBC to launch it back in 2003 (and when BBC Choice became youth oriented back in 2000)?

Because a lot has changed in broadcasting in the last 7 years.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Instead of closing the channels couldn't they have them broadcast 24 hours instead of just the evening slot? I can't imagine they would close them. Whatever happened to BBC Prime, was that another digital channel in the UK or was that one for showing BBC shows abroad? I remember hearing of it.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete disaster if this goes ahead, BBC needs to cut bureaucracy not channels.
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am all for Murdock bashing. Can't stand him or his media output. Sky News is so biased towards the Tories...it makes me sick.

Scrap Murdock...leave the BBC alone. The best broadcaster in the world...oh and...give it more money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a lot has changed in broadcasting in the last 7 years.
    Yes, in terms of the financial situation that the UK faces, but not in terms of the BBC's output for young adults and indeed, the criticism from the usual suspects who have a vested interest in not allowing the BBC to provide programming for the lucrative young adult advertising/subscription audience.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is there some dodgy logic in that piece?
    However industry insiders expect that BBC Three and BBC Four are the most likely targets. While the Strategy Review contained detailed plans for the future of BBC One and BBC Two, the digital channels were hardly mentioned.
    Because they're "hardly mentioned" they're expected to be closed? Perhaps they were "hardly mentioned" because their budgets are so low in the first place that there's no need to cut them any further.

And that's just one example off the top of my head.

How about they were "hardly mentioned" because the serve a very specific demographic which is not really well-served by other channels; teens on BBC3 and 'high-brow' (for want of a better word!) on BBC4.

Still, as the OP mentioned, it is a Murdoch paper so they had to come to some "anti-BBC" conclusion I suppose :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about they were "hardly mentioned" because the serve a very specific demographic which is not really well-served by other channels; teens on BBC3 and 'high-brow' (for want of a better word!) on BBC4.

Still, as the OP mentioned, it is a Murdoch paper so they had to come to some "anti-BBC" conclusion I suppose :)
    BBC Three's target audience is 16-34 years old. The BBC did have a service dedicated to teenagers, BBC Switch, but that has been axed.

As for the anti-BBC conclusion, they were very keen to highlight BBC Three, yet mention BBC Four a lot less. Not just an anti-BBC conclusion, but a anti-BBC Three conclusion I would suggest. No doubt the Daily Mail and the Murdoch press will be playing catch up and will be salivating at the mouth over any suggestion of cuts to the BBC.
  • Options
    DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But BBCs Three and Four are such small fry, like 6 music was. Simpler to take a small chunk out of BBC One. Noone would notice such a small reduction.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4 is the best of the bunch. Take the best programmes of BBC2 and BBC4 and combine them on BBC2. Scrap BBC4. IMO, BBC3 could be scrapped completely, as every time I look at it it seems to be showing absolute dross.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone obviously missed the Young Fishmonger of the Year, last night ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    BBC3 could be scrapped completely, as every time I look at it it seems to be showing absolute dross.
    Any logical explanation for what you term as dross or is it another case of what I normally see on related threads - "I don't like it/it's not aimed at me therefore it should be axed"? I mean, I dislike the shopping channels but I don't call consistently for their axing, because I know other people like them and it's a free market where companies can do what they like within the law.