Options

The BBC has announced that it axing children's programming from BBC One and BBC Two

lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
Forum Member
Oh no :eek:

A sad day :(
BBC Press Office ‏ @bbcpress
RT @juliantelly: For absolute clarity the BBC is not ditching Blue Peter. #bluepeter

Looks like it'll move to the CBBC channel or something? :confused:

[news]BBC axing 'Blue Peter', children's programming from BBC One, BBC Two[/news]

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lmddawson wrote: »

I heard that the Beeb will no longer be showing any kids tv shows on 1 or 2

They probably need the space for more programmes about cooking, antiques and middle class couples buying a second house in the country
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Disgusting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

They probably need the space for more programmes about cooking, antiques and middle class couples buying a second house in the country

You're so right. :yawn:

Disgraceful decision.
  • Options
    5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Programme moves from Channel X to Channel Y. Both channels available to all. No big deal.
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmddawson wrote: »

It already premieres on the CBBC channel, and more kids watch it on there than its BBC One showing.
  • Options
    Simon GSimon G Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they shouldn't bother simulcasting BBC News on two channels after switchover as well.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Why do the need children's programmes on BBC 1 and 2 when they have two dedicated children's channels to put their programmes on? Children are well catered for on TV.
  • Options
    lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Well at least it's not getting cancelled all together :o
    David Moynihan ‏ @DavidMoynihan
    BBC head of press: "the BBC is not ditching Blue Peter. BP premieres on CBBC, repeated on BBC1. More 6-12s watch it on digital channel"
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not so much the Blue Peter thing as the complete moving of all childrens programming away from BBC1/2

And it's not even so much the move as to what it means; a clear lack of interest in minority programming.

It's like when the more obviously PSB programming was moved to BBC3/BBC4.

It's moved out of the way of the ratings-grabbing stuff on BBC1/2, and then the budget is cut gradually for BBC3/BBC4. Meanwhile BBC1/2 remain as they are, it's not re-integrated.

It's BBC death by stealth, all of it under DG Mark Thompson

It is BBC death because the very thing that makes the BBC what it is is the stuff that is being removed. Very slowly. Sport too. In fact many more tradtionally male-interest programming like science fiction went some time back.

If you want to see what the BBC will soon look like then take a glance at CH4 group of channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some overreacting here I see.... :)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there comes a point where everyone has to have a digital TV because of the switchover, and surely then everyone has access to CBBC and CBeebies. So if they want to watch it they still can.

It's not like the move will make it unavailable to poor analogue TV owners.

As for a lack of interest in minority programming, the BBC now provides children with two whole channels all to themselves for thirteen hours a day.

That's far more catering to children then they ever did when I was a child and they managed about three hours a day total.

The argument that it's hidden away from the basic 1 - 4 numbers is meaningless, my daughter could skip through the channel listing in seconds from the age of 4 onwards (stopping to record a couple of programs en route). :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Blue Peter finished years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But there comes a point where everyone has to have a digital TV because of the switchover, and surely then everyone has access to CBBC and CBeebies. So if they want to watch it they still can.

It's not like the move will make it unavailable to poor analogue TV owners.

People said the same thing about the PSB programming moved to BBC4.

And BBC3 was far more "PSB" when it started, the programming gradually morphed into a grab for ratings tat fest.

Such behavior is just a symptom. It reveals a deep dislike of PSB and the BBC concept itself.

Mark Thompson is relentlessly commercial in his thinking, the sooner he goes the better.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    The day Petra died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    If you want to see what the BBC will soon look like then take a glance at CH4 group of channels.
    But why is that a problem? Why is that bad?

Different channels catering to different tastes, everyone gets what they want and more of it without needing to watch what they don't. I watch some E4, a little More4 but seldom venture near Channel 4.

It would certainly be an issue if 80% of the country only had analogue TVs and couldn't access it but when 100% have access to freeview then it's a non-issue surely?

It's not being cut, it's not being removed, it's not being done away with. It's being put on a different channel which requires but seconds to switch over to. It's not like people will have to climb up on top of their house with a bent coat hanger to pick up the signal, or spend £9,000 to install a satelite dish the size of a swimming pool in their back garden.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why is this a suprise to anyone? they said this was going to happen months ago in their big cost cutting report.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People said the same thing about the PSB programming moved to BBC4.
    But thanks to BBC4 isn't there are far more of "that sort of program" than there ever was?

I doubt we would have ever seen the likes of Wallander or The Killing if not for the BBC needing to fill up the BBC4 schedule.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If it is finally an acceptance by the BBC that a programme does not *have* to be on BBC1 with the schedulers tying themselves in knots to do absolutely anything but the sensible thing to avoid moving one of their precious untouchables to another channel then that is a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people don't see what this means obviously.

Taking people out of the mainstream is always about a lack of consideration for such people.

To give people their own "special" channel and saying it's to improve things for them is always nonesense. It's actually the first step in cutting back.

Yes, children can find such channels. But I guarantee that the budget will gradually decline over the following years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    But thanks to BBC4 isn't there are far more of "that sort of program" than there ever was?

I doubt we would have ever seen the likes of Wallander or The Killing if not for the BBC needing to fill up the BBC4 schedule.

BBC4/BBC3 are in the vanguard of cuts, did you not know?

These things don't happen overnight, people would notice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is that BBC1 to Channel 4 get huge audiences because people have a strange inertia to travelling further afield.

Obviously there used to be a solid reason for this when many people only had those four channels but as more and more have gone digital it makes no sense. There is no reason that digital channels seem to have a maximum audience of 1.5 million or so when 10 million+ people have access to them.

If the programs from the first four channels were spread out then perhaps it would educate people that the little box under the TV can offer them so much more. Any such education is, in my view, a good thing.

Perhaps some people see what isn't in fact there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    It's not that bad at all, if kids want to watch it they can watch it on the CBBC channel. It's only good for kids now back in the days was good for teens and adults too. It'll be exactly the same on CBBC as it it is on BBC1 so if anyone wants to watch it, they can.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it so difficult for people to change the channel why does it need to be on two channels we live in a modern multi channel age itv ditched most children's programmes to citv years ago. I never understood why they have CBBC-1 on from 3.05 -5.15 and have a CBBC and CBeebies channel on at the same time?

If you want to watch Blue Peter pick up your remote and type in the channel numbers not difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4/BBC3 are in the vanguard of cuts, did you not know?

These things don't happen overnight, people would notice.
    Everything is in cuts, that's the world we live in :D

And if cuts means that native channels stop making expensive tat themsleves (like Titanic) and buy in top quality shows cheap from abroad (and not just America) then I'm all for it.

The majority of my viewing, and that of my children, comes from channels beyond the first four slots and that's fine by me.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would think that reading some posts and threads in this section that 90% of the public are incapable of switching from one programme to another. people tend to look at digital TV with an analogue mind.

Look upon ALL the BBC channels as one, as equals in importance, not individually, then select the programme from them that one wants to watch. With Digital it is not what channel that should be important, it is on but it is the programme one wants to watch.

I can understand this method of watching a programme appears strange to those who have been used to just five analogue channels, but digital is very different.

So if cricket, Songs of Praise, Match or the Day is say on BBC 1, 2, 3 or 4 should make no difference they should not be channels of importance but all equal. The more this happens the more people will grow used to it.

I do that with the plethora of Sky programmes, I look for the programme I want to watch regardless as to what channel it is on.