Options

The BBC has announced that it axing children's programming from BBC One and BBC Two

Comments

• Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Yes, certainly, so that children's programmes such as Blue Peter can be shown on them. Horses for courses, you would not expect to watch Antiques Roadshow on CBBC so why would viewers who have now got digital decoders expect children's programmes on BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4.

It is time that some people actually looked at TV from a digital perspective rather than the old analogue one which from the end of October will be dead and buried for good.

This may be very difficult for some adults to comprehend but I bet most 4-year-olds + and maybe even younger, would be able to easily navigate to their own dedicated TV channels with little difficulty

It's not surprising that you should think you're the one who's being 'current', but you're completing missing the point, which is that the BBC is a public service broadcaster (with a relatively fixed income) and not a commercial operator; your approach (and indeed that of the present management of the BBC) accepts the commercial model, rather than one that would maximise the usage of resources on programme spending.

Why should a public service broadcaster be offering dedicated children's channels, rather than more children's programmes?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real question is what will the BBC put on instead on BBC One & Two in the time slots that were previously filled by childrens programmes? Not a problem whilst there are big events going on such as the Olympics for example but otherwise?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Good question.

It is- won't this just mean more (unnecessary) spending for the sake of it?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it really matter if these programmes get low ratings on BBC1? They will certainly still be getting low ratings on CBBC (lower probably)

The reason behind it is all about ratings, like everything else the BBC does nowadays.

But rather than address the real reason they behave as a commercial network would.

The real reason is that BBC programmes are frequently not very good. Often they are tired formats and low risk, poorly presented.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the logic in moving kids shows to the CBBC Channel and CBeebies makes sense, there are some issues.

1. Newsround has a great share for it's 5pm bulletin on BBC1. More than any on CBBC or BBC2, yet is being demoted to CBBC.

Newsround just finished on BBC1. It featured the war crimes trial of Ratko Mladic and the Euro crisis. But if kids aren't watching CBBC on BBC1....

Maybe they could leave Newsround on BBC1 at 5pm for the benefit of confused grown-up viewers. Like when they publish Harry Potter books with a grown-up cover for its over 18 readers.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a real shame a mainstay of childrens TV such as Blue Peter is no longer being shown on BBC1.

There does not seem to be the effort put into TV anymore. I grew up in the 1980s/90s into the early 2000s where I had the four terrestrial channels before getting cable in 1996, and my childhood was spent watching Grange Hill, Blue Peter, SMTV Live, Live and Kicking and Scratchy and Co.

It just seems as if TV is doing everything on the cheap and we will soon be awash with repeats as there is not the advertising revenue or finance within which to create new shows.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is- won't this just mean more (unnecessary) spending for the sake of it?

If you look at the DQF proposals, there will be a change:

Making BBC One the channel for all new general daytime programmes;

Changing BBC Two's daytime schedule to feature international news and current affairs programmes at lunchtime. Other parts of the daytime schedule would be repeats of mainly factual programmes, including science, history, natural history and arts, as well as live sport;

So it would seem that maybe BBC Four repeats will surface on Two 9where the bulk of the children's programming is), with programmes that might have aired first on Two now airing first on BBC one.

there might also be more narrative repeats on BBC one Daytime of course, but there's only a couple of hours there to fill up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC have been doing this a lot under Mark Thompson.

Moving sport to Red Button, so they can claim they haven't dumped it.

Then when people have gotten used to less sport on BBC1 they cut the sport funding.

Move the more obvious PSB on BBC2 to BBC4 so they can say they still believe in it. Then at the first sign of budget trouble they cut BBC4 funding.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

The real reason is that BBC programmes are frequently not very good. Often they are tired formats and low risk, poorly presented.

Try watching some of CBBC's commissions and you may think differently.

While BP is on the whole awful, CBBC's output is still a damn sight better than some of the stodge on channels with broader remits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bizarre thinking to consider children as not a suitable audience for BBC1

What sort of message is that sending?

What next, all programming aimed at men to be shunted off to Red Button?

As things stand BBC1 will become the lifestyle channel from hell.
  • Options
    OrnetteOrnette Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Just spotted this on BBC Red Button. Apparently once DSO is completed they plan to stop showing children's programmes on BBC1 and 2!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18083178

Seems a bit strange to me. BBC1 has always been an all round channel for all the family, taking this away will really change its character IMO.

What will they fill it with - more Homes Under The Hammer?
    Or maybe they will go back to having a test screen during the afternoon :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    If you look at the DQF proposals, there will be a change:

So it would seem that maybe BBC Four repeats will surface on Two 9where the bulk of the children's programming is), with programmes that might have aired first on Two now airing first on BBC one.

there might also be more narrative repeats on BBC one Daytime of course, but there's only a couple of hours there to fill up.

I have looked at the proposals.

Is there more spending? Probably not. Will there be any more new programmes (overall, that is)? Probably not. What does it all mean? What they want it to mean.

If you think One (or Two) is going to get new programmes and only new programmes, where once there were children's programmes, then I'm afraid you're extremely deluded.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    But if kids aren't watching CBBC on BBC1....
    ..... they'll be likely to be watching CBBC on CBBC. ;)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Why does it really matter if these programmes get low ratings on BBC1? They will certainly still be getting low ratings on CBBC (lower probably)

The reason behind it is all about ratings, like everything else the BBC does nowadays.

But rather than address the real reason they behave as a commercial network would.

Does that refer to BBC children's programmes or BBC programmes in general. Certainly disagree if BBC programmes in general as most of the best programmes are on BBC, rarely watch any of the other channels as nothing worth watching.

I did not think any of the others did much children's programming and historically all the best children's stuff has been BBC. I happened to watch some CBeebies last week whilst visiting friends and it was excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is all original CBBC programming is on the CBBC Channel. BBC One/Two only airs repeats so why should it remain? I actually don't know any kids in my family who opt for BBC One/Two and rather opt for CBBC/CBeebies channel because it's on from 7-7 and therefore there's no channel changing and checking the schedules etc.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another LF freeze should kill off BBC 4 and a merger off CBBC and CBeebies (which should have happened now but their you go).
    DQF Delivering Quantity (whoops meant Quality) First?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I last checked, kids weren't born with an innate understanding of the history of TV and the BBC. Yet reading posts here and on the BBC site, you would think that is the case.
    If kids want to watch something, they'll chose the appropriate channel (which in my limited experience, they even know the number of), I don't think they really care what it is.
    If kids don't know about the world around them, then I don't know, maybe something radical like talking to them on a subject might be a way to enlighten them.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbbnbbb wrote: »
    The thing is all original CBBC programming is on the CBBC Channel. BBC One/Two only airs repeats so why should it remain?

Except for Newsround.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbbnbbb wrote: »
    The thing is all original CBBC programming is on the CBBC Channel. BBC One/Two only airs repeats so why should it remain? I actually don't know any kids in my family who opt for BBC One/Two and rather opt for CBBC/CBeebies channel because it's on from 7-7 and therefore there's no channel changing and checking the schedules etc.

But that's only because that's the way things have been pushed. In post #21, I've explained why it can and should be different.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a sad day for Blue Peter and Newsround, both shows have been part of many adults children show memories.

If i was Helen and Barney, i would tell the producers to stuff themselves, and get out, let the show be presented by some work experience students.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 5 and 8 year old, they pretty much only watch their kids shows on CBBC and CBeebies and to be honest more and more on iplayer.

As for what BBC1 and BBC2 will be showing, I am guessing repeats.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Is BP still on twice a week?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Why should a public service broadcaster be offering dedicated children's channels, rather than more children's programmes?

Because that's how the kids like it! And having a dedicated easily accessible channel for them is more likely to result in more kids programmes, I'd have thought.

In my grandkids house, and most others I suspect, they basically take over the TV from about 4pm until at least 6, watching CBBC, Cbeebies or some other kids channel, and never have I seen them watching any kids programme on BBC1 or BBC 2.

The kids aren't going to be missing anything by this change, and their parents aren't going to be watching whatever they are replaced by at say 5pm because the kids will have their channel on. Just like now.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the people who will be disgruntled, will be those who have grown up with CBBC (formally Childrens BBC) and see this as a bit of an end of era.

Maybe towards the end they could show a series of programmes, looking back at the time of Childrens TV on BBC, or at last a montage of thing from down the years