The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think the BBC should do a New Year's concert like the American's have New Years Rockin' Eve. It would be great! What we have atm is crap! A 30 minute show with some montages? A real extravanganza is needed. :D
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You were once on an ITV show? :)

I bought the X Factor winner's song. I think it's quite good.

He finally got to me, just as his show entered its death throes!

The bastard. ;)
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think the BBC should do a New Year's concert like the American's have New Years Rockin' Eve. It would be great! What we have atm is crap! A 30 minute show with some montages? A real extravanganza is needed. :D
    I'm amazed they've never promoted the Hootenanny to BBC1. New Years TV though is pretty much always crap - ITV tried for a couple of years with gigs at the O2 but viewers still opted for the likes of Myleene Klass and a few fireworks on BBC1. C4 always used to be good for an alternative to - they should have run Alan Carr an hour later really tonight and had that run into New Year, with the House Party beginning shortly after midnight.
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very happy new year to the Ratings Thread crew. :-) best thread on here by far!
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    ...C4 need to be looking towards the cheaper end of the sports market (the racing is £5m a year for 88 days - about £25k an hour - F1 would be at least 20 times that price) where there is actually an opportunity to make a name for themselves...
    This is why I think the decision to grab the Paralympics is easily the best decision Channel 4 have made in years. Its an almost completely untapped market and lends itself nicely to Channel 4 creating some distinctive and interesting coverage. They should continue their coverage of Paralympic events. Its a good move for them and they have a strong team in place to cover it now. If nothing else they learnt from their disastrous athletics coverage which suggested that they'd brought the championships on a complete whim with no clue how to cover it or who should front it.
    I don't think C4 really needs new idents - their current set is still amongst the best on TV and their original set lasted 14 years. They could probably get away with keeping the idents and just refreshing the remaining presentation, but C4 does kind of need to relaunch itself and find a way back to former glories...
    No doubt they've lost their way. I'd suggest that their biggest problem is that they've just become bogged down by an endless stream of lifestyle shows that really aren't doing anything interesting or new. Hotel GB just served to highlight that Channel 4 has far too much on screen talent and nowhere near enough interesting or new formats for them. It may be painful but its probably time to let some of this talent go and focus on a small core group who they can develop strong new formats for. I mean how many celebrity chefs and property experts does one channel really need?

I think something else that might be worthy of mention when it comes to Channel 4 is just generally how restrained British television as a whole has become. It hasn't created the healthiest environment in which to experiment and push boundaries.
    I disagree actually - 11pm feels a much more appropriate slot for that sort of show than the 9.30pm slot the main series will air in from mid-January, and actually that wasn't a bad rating at all for 11pm - but similar figures at 9.30pm and it'll be a flop.
    10PM seems like the best slot for it.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Happy New Year Everyone! :)
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member

The bastard. ;)

Please tell me this is true!!!!

What a glorious way to start the new year. :D:D:D
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »

Nah, he must have been (DS)Fraped. :D

Spiritual awakening? ;)
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The bastard. ;)

:eek::eek::eek:

Before long you'll be stage, auditioning in front of him! :D
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone.

and how many Tory politicos were mentioned in the beebs, new years eve thing, despite Labour winning the bid.

ahh well, some will still blather about a left-wing bias.....
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    This months series of Lewis might not definitely be the last one. Kevin Whateley says there definately wont be a series in 2014 because theyre not filming any episodes this year. But it might return from 2015 onwards depending on what the actors are up to next year and if Laurence Fox's proposed Hollywood career takes off or not. If it doesnt return however, the last episode of this series has a satisfactory resolution for fans.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4720415/Im-taking-a-year-off-I-may-quit-Lewis-for-good.html
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Channel 4 are showing The Iron Lady on Sunday, wonder if it can get good figures, I'm thinking over 2m but it could hit 3m.

Yes I saw a trailer for that yesterday - so that's one year from cinema release to terrestrial tv transmission.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Miranda and MBb could be higher tomorrow, as its New Year's Day

It's certainly possible as New Year's day is when some big audiences are available. Plus the competition doesn't appear strong. The potential of getting one of the biggest audiences of 2013 is there for both.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It's certainly possible as New Year's day is when some big audiences are available. Plus the competition doesn't appear strong. The potential of getting one of the biggest audiences of 2013 is there for both.

Odds on the biggest audience of the whole year being achieved on 1st January...? :D
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member

The bastard. ;)

Proudest profit of Cowell's life.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    This months series of Lewis might not definitely be the last one. Kevin Whateley says there definately wont be a series in 2014 because theyre not filming any episodes this year. But it might return from 2015 onwards depending on what the actors are up to next year and if Laurence Fox's proposed Hollywood career takes off or not. If it doesnt return however, the last episode of this series has a satisfactory resolution for fans.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4720415/Im-taking-a-year-off-I-may-quit-Lewis-for-good.html

Kevin Whateley has done the role on and off for 25 years and I imagine he wants to not do as much acting. A break won't harm it but I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the last series. ITV have Endeavour so they have a ready made replacement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Odds on the biggest audience of the whole year being achieved on 1st January...? :D

Ooooooooh, I don`t know.. I`m still holding out for Saturday 23rd November 2013, Doctor Who`s 50th Anniversary.... certainly sounding epic atm..
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member

X Factor episode 1 as Cowell unveils his new presenter...I won't spoil it but it will be nice to see him to see him nice.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Potentially three of the biggest is a possibility looking at EastEnders, Miranda (if it holds up for episode 2) and Mrs Brown's Boys. Also apart from Emmerdale at 6.30pm Up has a decent timeslot so could pull in a decent amount of viewers.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The studios must give Angie Lansbury a new film, she rates so well at Xmas. Perhaps a guest role in Downtown, Afterall she has been in films with Dame Maggie and acted her under the table.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    The studios must give Angie Lansbury a new film, she rates so well at Xmas. Perhaps a guest role in Downtown, Afterall she has been in films with Dame Maggie and acted her under the table.

Angela Lansbury would be great for Downton but she probably wouldn't be able to do it this year as she's doing a tour of Driving Miss Daisy in Australia with James Earl Jones.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year everyone.

I think that Channel4 should try and capitalise on the Paralympics success by showing more Murderball competitions. It's just a very brutal and very watchable sport.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »

Robbie buying the single or the show entering it's death throes? :p
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,968
    Forum Member
    Happy New Year everyone!

Mind if I do the roundup today? :D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Kevin Whateley has done the role on and off for 25 years and I imagine he wants to not do as much acting. A break won't harm it but I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the last series. ITV have Endeavour so they have a ready made replacement.

He says in the interview he has worked every summer for the last 30 years and just wants a break but does not rule out returning to the role in 2014.
This discussion has been closed.