Options

Death of Sony Vaio No more computers being made

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/05/sony-considering-selloff-of-its-pc-business-as-sales-dwindle-vaio

so sony will no longer make vaio computers is this end of desktop and laptop computers and are we going to be shifting to tablets from now on

Comments

• Options
    Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They never really appealed to me anyway, due to how overpriced they always seemed to be.
  • Options
    Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The track-pads on the Vaio are awful.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    so sony will no longer make vaio computers is this end of desktop and laptop computers and are we going to be shifting to tablets from now on

I have it on good authority that companies aside from Sony also make computers.

*EDIT*

Maybe worth saying that I've had 2 VAIO's in my life and both of them were forced into retirement due to Sony failing to provide updated drivers.

Part of the reason why I decided to never buy a Sony product in future.
  • Options
    MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article says sales peaked at 8.7 million in a year, but are forecast to be 5.8 million in 2014. That's a significant fall, but it still doesn't exactly sound like the "end" for laptops or PCs, to me.

And why should there be an "end", anyway? Tablets are fine for consuming content, but PCs are vastly better at creating it. Here's an idea: maybe we should just have both.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Just shows how out of touch I am...

From the thread title, I thought 'Sony Vaio' would be some sort of revered Indian computer expert who was developing new stuff, and 'no more computers being made' was an over-reaction to his death... doh. :blush:
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not want one of their tablets either.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my experiences, VAIO's are over priced, prone to over heating and other reliability problems.

And no, it does not sign the death of laptops and desktops. Sony are just one brand amongst many.

I did see some stuff on Forbes at the end of last year about the next generation of laptops being in the form of a tablet (so a proper laptop as we know them, but ultra slim, no keyboard, touch screen and so on; also saw some stuff about flexible screens).

I find the flexi screen stuff really interesting actually, with what it could lead to; some info: http://mashable.com/category/flexible-screens/

I think what we will see is progression and change rather than the death of a format. Tablets are quite different to PC's and Mac's.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll be annoyed if they PC/laptop vanishes. Tablets are fine, but they have no finesse and word processing on them is a pain in the bum without a mouse.

And what about gaming? (I don't mean Flappy bird here)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I never really liked their computers. You pay nearly Mac prices for a rather substandard product. You pay for the name. OK, some argue that you also pay for the name with Apple but at least the build quality of the Macs is better. Oh and don't get me started on Flappy bird. It is so annoying!
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/05/sony-considering-selloff-of-its-pc-business-as-sales-dwindle-vaio

Why would it be the end of desktop computers or laptops when there are hundreds of other brands out there making them?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my experiences, VAIO's are over priced,...

And not just slightly overpriced - ludicrously overpriced for what they were :o

And they were incorrectly marketed; about two thirds of the Vaio range was simply aimed at the wrong market. Sony tried to big them up as multimedia/entertainment centres, the centrepiece of a room etc...at the same time as flatscreen TVs and freeview etc. were accelerating daily away from them in visual performance and content terms.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member

What are you using for this post?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And they were incorrectly marketed; about two thirds of the Vaio range was simply aimed at the wrong market. Sony tried to big them up as multimedia/entertainment centres, the centrepiece of a room etc...at the same time as flatscreen TVs and freeview etc. were accelerating daily away from them in visual performance and content terms.

Of course, back in 2005, I had my heart set on buying an eleven inch dark blue cased Vaio laptop, but never did in the end, and (foolishly) settled for a Packard Bell!
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'll be annoyed if they PC/laptop vanishes. Tablets are fine, but they have no finesse and word processing on them is a pain in the bum without a mouse.

And what about gaming? (I don't mean Flappy bird here)

I suspect the future is tablets that connect to a keyboard. In other words, a laptop with a detachable tablet component. There are some around but they don't seem to be the best of both worlds yet.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    What are you using for this post?

A computer without a shift or punctuation keys!
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be disappointed. I bought a white Vaio in 2008 and have been thrilled with it. Was ready for my second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I will be disappointed. I bought a white Vaio in 2008 and have been thrilled with it. Was ready for my second.

Why not upgrade your existing one you just mentioned about to Windows 8.1? :cool:
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a Sony Tablet if it had atleast 4GB of Ram, 500gb of hard drive, intel core I7 etc!

Now thats what you replace a laptop with! not shitty 70GB lol.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the TV and film industry going to use for laptop product placement now ! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    What's the TV and film industry going to use for laptop product placement now ! :o

Maybe Lenovo or Dell, or failing that, Apple?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the future is tablets that connect to a keyboard. In other words, a laptop with a detachable tablet component. There are some around but they don't seem to be the best of both worlds yet.

Some of them, like the Asus T100, get excellent reviews...and of course any tablet with bluetooth can pick up a bluetooth keyboard ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed, I also felt that they were trying to market them like Apple do (which might kinda fit in with what you have said, a luxury item).

But I have had two of them, one personally and one at work and they both had overheating problems within 8 months. One of them, the backlight went in the screen.

I have two older Mac's in the office that have been running strong for years. So they didn't stand up in terms of quality if they were trying to be luxury items.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not upgrade your existing one you just mentioned about to Windows 8.1? :cool:

Other things start to go like the display. It's still in good condition considering how much I used it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »

See my post above, keyboard will likely be part of the screen (touch). So laptops (and desktops) will look like a tablet but with bigger screens. Potentially even flexi screens at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them, like the Asus T100, get excellent reviews...and of course any tablet with bluetooth can pick up a bluetooth keyboard ;-)

Asus always seem to be a balance between posh and affordable.