Windows 10 will be the last to feature "version" numbers

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    To clear up the nonsense and speculation:

They are not moving to subscription payment. They are moving to continually updating Windows 10 rather than selling new boxed copies every few years. It is likely these Windows improvements will come for free.

I think most people know this, the problem is when they get enough people using the OS, will they change then?
    After all if we are all relying on windows 10, what is to stop MS giving free support? Saying that i think it will be years before enough people are using 10 for that to happen. You only have to look how many people kept to XP and I think windows 7 will do the same thing, go on for a few years.

I know only one person that uses windows 7 that have any interest in 10, the others are happy to stick with 7 unless they have to buy a new computer and even then going y someone who is looking at a new desktop want windows 7 on it. They hate Windows 8 and believes that windows 10 will be more or less the same, with silly tiles.
    They will make money from increased use of Bing, increasing take-up of Office 365 (with its unlimited OneDrive storage), from app store sales and sales of devices like Surface.

I think you really need to look at what people are using. Most people will download a version of Chrome and use Google. Even with a new Windows 8 machine i set up a few months back for someone the first thing they said was to stick Google on it.
    I do not use Google myself, I use Duck Duck Go, but millions of people do.
    I still only know of a couple of people who use One drive, even those with windows 8. i set it up for my brother to make it easier for him to transfer documents from one machine to another and I know of one other people that uses it.

Most people I know do not use cloudy storage and if they do it is normally Google or dropbox.

Office 365 will be more for businesses, most people will go for something like Libre office. Free and works well.
    They will continue to allow installation of software outside of the app store. But developers can also package desktop applications into the store and get benefits like clean install/uninstall compared to now.

So they will slowly turn it into a walled garden, Apple is slowly doing that as well. i know buying online is quicker, but it can also be a pain in the neck with a slower broadband speed.
    Patch Tuesday will likely be the delivery method for these updates for most people. Some people will opt to receive updates in a slightly different way to Patch Tuesday but that is optional.

Part of this is to minimise fragmentation so that most people are always on the latest version allowing developers to always target the latest set of APIs.

Whilst Windows will have regular updates, there will be "long term support" versions for businesses allowing them to upgrade more slowly and 'catch up' every one or two years.

Already MS is forcing people to have updates when they want us to have them. There is no way on Windows 10 now to download the updates when we want to download, that option have gone. I had to tweak the reg to disable auto update. We should not have to do that.
    The only bit of software I allow to auto update on my computer is my anti virus, anything else which do not allow me control gets booted off. thankfully I do not use chrome but a chrome based browser, so I still go the choice to update or not.

I hope they put the download and install at your time of choosing option back on, because i am sure that there are a few people that still want some control over updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Exactly.....Those that are still confused can always go Apple or Linux, but, they won't.
    I guess those that have spent a lifetime using, but, moaning about, MS just can't get out of the habit. I think they secretly enjoy it.

Apple is not much different to MS in the way they are doing things, also you are limited by hardware and prices. Linux is great for some things, but it do not have the software some people require.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Already MS is forcing people to have updates when they want us to have them. There is no way on Windows 10 now to download the updates when we want to download, that option have gone. I had to tweak the reg to disable auto update. We should not have to do that.
    The only bit of software I allow to auto update on my computer is my anti virus, anything else which do not allow me control gets booted off. thankfully I do not use chrome but a chrome based browser, so I still go the choice to update or not.

I hope they put the download and install at your time of choosing option back on, because i am sure that there are a few people that still want some control over updates.

I think the problem for MS is people disable the updates and thus miss out on an essential update to fix a vulnerability and then blame MS for a crappy OS when they get hacked, probably they'll add an option in hidden away a bit to be able to set it how you want such as never download anything and shut the f-up/never download but let me know theres stuff to install/download but ask/just get it and install it which should cover 99.999% of the windows population if they fancy clicking on the advanced tab and changing the defaults but MS does know people are idle and most are as computer literate as a pet rock so you give them the kiddy options set and those who want can mess around
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I know only one person that uses windows 7 that have any interest in 10,
    Most people I know do not use cloudy storage
    I still only know of a couple of people who use One drive
    I think you need to broaden your horizons. A sample of 10 people in Herefordshire will not satisfy MS enough to change anything.....;-):)
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there are plenty of people who don't fit those categories.

But I do wonder if sometimes obscure or less popular wishes are granted.

If they come to the attention of the right person in Microsoft, they are sympathetic and a change is cheap and doesn't pee off millions of others, it may get through???

I moaned about Start Menu/Screen Transparency on the Insider Program. The thread was not widely supported (a few did) but not condemned either.

Now it has more user configurable options.

Was that always on the cards or did someone listen? Who knows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes there are plenty of people who don't fit those categories.

But I do wonder if sometimes obscure or less popular wishes are granted.

If they come to the attention of the right person in Microsoft, they are sympathetic and a change is cheap and doesn't pee off millions of others, it may get through???

I moaned about Start Menu/Screen Transparency on the Insider Program. The thread was not widely supported (a few did) but not condemned either.

Now it has more user configurable options.

Was that always on the cards or did someone listen? Who knows.

I'd imagine if its an easy change to make and doesn't break anything else like group policies thus requiring them to code in extra support for each option then probably it'll get tried and if it looks good internally then will get pushed out to the trial stage where people can either laud its praises or shoot it down like a dog
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I think the problem for MS is people disable the updates and thus miss out on an essential update to fix a vulnerability and then blame MS for a crappy OS when they get hacked,

But most people do not change the default, it is only a minority that does like myself. I do so because when I been editing videos, Windows try to update and go into a loop for ages and get confused. If I am rendering it is worse and I also like to know what is being updated.
    probably they'll add an option in hidden away a bit to be able to set it how you want such as never download anything and shut the f-up/never download but let me know theres stuff to install/download but ask/just get it and install it which should cover 99.999% of the windows population if they fancy clicking on the advanced tab and changing the defaults but MS does know people are idle and most are as computer literate as a pet rock so you give them the kiddy options set and those who want can mess around

If they don't then it just proves that MS will do what it like and not give a crap about their customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to broaden your horizons. A sample of 10 people in Herefordshire will not satisfy MS enough to change anything.....;-):)

It is a few more than ten people and some of these people are business owners, the market that MS wants to get Windows ten into.

I do think that this cloud malarkey is a bit much and it is getting shoved in our face so much. Most people will not even use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is a few more than ten people and some of these people are business owners, the market that MS wants to get Windows ten into.

I do think that this cloud malarkey is a bit much and it is getting shoved in our face so much. Most people will not even use it.
    Cloud malarkey....???:D:D I'm thinking that you discount the up and coming generations who aren't necessarily held back by views such as yours.
    I think you also discount the millions of people already using various cloud services...
    Venture out of the bubble occasionally...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Theres a whole world of different business owners with all sorts of requirements, some may have a need to have machines in 80 countries and in 50 different languages all running the same enterprise systems all the way down to the guy who owns the local corner shop for sorting out his VAT returns and browsing cat photo's (!) when he's bored

Plus don't forget win 10 seems to be more of an evolving OS as they'll start to add in features over time and if its doable with a registry entry i'm sure someone will create a tweakui sort of thing to get people started messing with those hard to find options
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cloud business case is to sell us a storage subscription and then pay again to access it.

So yes, it is a cloud malarkey at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The cloud business case is to sell us a storage subscription and then pay again to access it.

So yes, it is a cloud malarkey at times.
    Not paid for any yet and it doesn't cost anything to access it.
    10 years ahead everyone will be taking it all for granted and expecting it. No doubt there will be those who grudgingly hold out for a few years, but they will either die out or give in to the inevitable..
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

So, is 10 to be a near 100% walled garden for consumers? I really do wonder.

No, no and no on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Theres a whole world of different business owners with all sorts of requirements, some may have a need to have machines in 80 countries and in 50 different languages all running the same enterprise systems all the way down to the guy who owns the local corner shop for sorting out his VAT returns and browsing cat photo's (!) when he's bored
    I can see what you are getting at and yes most of these are small local companies. In fact one of these businesses do not even use Windows, no two don't. One uses Apple Macs and do not have a windows based device what so ever and the other one uses Linux.
    Plus don't forget win 10 seems to be more of an evolving OS as they'll start to add in features over time and if its doable with a registry entry i'm sure someone will create a tweakui sort of thing to get people started messing with those hard to find options
    We really should not have to bother with registry setting in this day and age, well not with a OS for the masses. TweakUI, I remember that on XP and windows 98, I thought it died a death.

The evolving thing worries me to be honest, I think they will put too much integration, and and we will end up relying on MS for almost everything. Look how on each release of Windows MS have made it more difficult for security software developers. How many works with Windows 10? I like Comodo, but it fail to install on windows 10, the only way is to install windows 7 or 8, install the software and then update to windows 10 It works then for some reason. Well kind off.

Skype being built into the system, One drive and there is no way to get rid of the one drive folder. Lots of apps that can not be uninstalled. Will there be a way to get rid of the new browser or will we be stuck with it just like IE? I know there is a option to kind of get rid of IE, but it is still there.

For a OS that we are suppose to be able to configure I think that is getting less and will get worse as time goes on. I really wish we had a good alternative, but while OSX is a good OS, it is limited to Apple machines. I must admit I was on the Verge of thinking of spending my money on a mac mini or updating this machine, my PC won. Now I am thinking maybe I made the wrong choice.

The problem is, you start of with a new OS and it means new software, saying that even with Windows 10, some older software do not work as it should. I have some plug ins for Vegas which play up with windows 10 for some reason and yet work fine in Windows 8.1 and 7. Even Vegas itself have a funny five mins now and again, hanging when started up and the only way to get it working again is to end the task and run it again. My scanner software works when it want to work. the drivers are fine as I can scan from inside different software, but pressing the button on my scanner do not always bring up the software.

Still problem with windows 10 and I am pretty sure it is no where near ready to be released in the summer.
    I am using 10 on a spare partition just as a trial and see if it gets better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not paid for any yet and it doesn't cost anything to access it.
    10 years ahead everyone will be taking it all for granted and expecting it. No doubt there will be those who grudgingly hold out for a few years, but they will either die out or give in to the inevitable..

I do use dropbox for a few files, but that is about it, ok yes I have a video stored on One drive as it was the best way to get it to my brother, I have a lot of space on one drive about 50GB, but only the one video on it and that is protected with a password in a Rar file.

The files on dropbox is even protected with a password, not that they are that important, just a couple of spreadsheet files so I can work out my budget.

I also do use Xmarks and lastpast, so I do use cloudy stuff, but I do not think we should rely on them.
    Just think in a few years times, we all got files on the cloud, large hard drives have more or less vanished as no one is using them. How long do you think these services will be offered for free if we have little choice but to use them?

Google, MS, Drobox and other companies is waiting for us all to rely on them and then they will come out with, you can access your files if you pay such a such a month. It will be like paying extra at cash machine to access your own money.

There are plenty of people out there that still do not trust online storage, just like we got people who do not trust online banking and shopping and it is not just the older people, i know young people, who will not bank online or shop online.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I can't quite work out whether they are heading towards a subscription payment model or just a walled garden with no non store app installs.

Bing has a good 20% market share (I'm not sure if that includes DuckDuckGo usage) so they have plenty of other sources of income.

I agree and even with some of the relevant press reports, it's not entirely clear how Microsoft will get monetary gain from Windows 10 and the subsequent updates:

Microsoft is rethinking how to charge users for Windows 10
    There are no details beyond that, but it seems likely that Microsoft will either offer Windows up for free and hope app and software sales and subscriptions make up the difference, or make Windows - or some versions of Windows - into a subscription service with recurring fees. And it sounds like we'll know by next summer either way.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-is-rethinking-how-to-charge-users-for-windows-10-1276304
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of people out there that still do not trust online storage, just like we got people who do not trust online banking and shopping and it is not just the older people, i know young people, who will not bank online or shop online.
    Well it's a good job the future doesn't lay with those people. The majority of us will enjoy the progress and just wait for you to give in to the inevitable.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree and even with some of the relevant press reports, it's not entirely clear how Microsoft will get monetary gain from Windows 10 and the subsequent updates:

Microsoft is rethinking how to charge users for Windows 10
    There are no details beyond that, but it seems likely that Microsoft will either offer Windows up for free and hope app and software sales and subscriptions make up the difference, or make Windows - or some versions of Windows - into a subscription service with recurring fees. And it sounds like we'll know by next summer either way.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/microsoft-is-rethinking-how-to-charge-users-for-windows-10-1276304
    That article is 5 months old....They have had Build and Ignite since then and not a word about subscription for the OS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a good job the future doesn't lay with those people. The majority of us will enjoy the progress and just wait for you to give in to the inevitable.:D

You? that implies me. I already do online shopping, ok not for groceries, apart from my coffee, but for other stuff. I do prefer to pay with paypal these days and if a company do not take paypal I try and find somewhere else. Save me putting my details all over the place. I also do online banking, I check that once a day.
    I admit I do not really use cloud storage, but then I have no real need for it. The only reason I use drop box is because I can change the documents on the laptop as well as the desktop.

As for the people who do not use online banking or shop online, at the end of the day it is up to them, if they do not trust the security and if they many without it then fine.
    I must admit, I do not trust the security 100%, but sometimes convenience just over rule it. Only just mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You? that implies me. I already do online shopping, ok not for groceries, apart from my coffee, but for other stuff. I do prefer to pay with paypal these days and if a company do not take paypal I try and find somewhere else. Save me putting my details all over the place. I also do online banking, I check that once a day.
    I admit I do not really use cloud storage, but then I have no real need for it. The only reason I use drop box is because I can change the documents on the laptop as well as the desktop.

As for the people who do not use online banking or shop online, at the end of the day it is up to them, if they do not trust the security and if they many without it then fine.
    I must admit, I do not trust the security 100%, but sometimes convenience just over rule it. Only just mind you.
    If you can find anything that is 100% secure........Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's something for those missing the the past and fighting the future...:D Virtual Desktop
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can find anything that is 100% secure........Good luck.

Back ups at home on multiple devices. i have a couple at my mates place, important stuff, like photos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's something for those missing the the past and fighting the future...:D Virtual Desktop
    Nostalgia ain't what it used to be....;-)

I still think windows 98Se was one of the best version of windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Back ups at home on multiple devices. i have a couple at my mates place, important stuff, like photos.

That doesn't make your personal information 100% secure. I'm talking about information security, not losing your info because your hard drive died.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think windows 98Se was one of the best version of windows.

Apart from the Internet Explorer years.