Please help! Browsers have become really sloooooooow

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    system restore is not an anti virus/malware solution, check the system over and fix any problems before doing system restores

Yes, I think we all know that, but a system restore is the only obvious thing that hasn't been suggested yet. And it's not clear that he has a virus. He only needs to go back a few days, it's harmless.

Also, open Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header to sort. Is there anything there hogging your CPU that you don't recognize?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think we all know that, but a system restore is the only obvious thing that hasn't been suggested yet. And it's not clear that he has a virus. He only needs to go back a few days, it's harmless.

Also, open Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header to sort. Is there anything there hogging your CPU that you don't recognize?

A virus/malware scan should be run though just to be on the safe side. You suggested system restore without mentioning doing a scan first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    A virus/malware scan should be run though just to be on the safe side. You suggested system restore without mentioning doing a scan first.

FFS, let it go. How many times do think the OP needs to hear about a virus scan? I suggested a system restore without mentioning ANY of the previous suggestions. Do you even know what a system restore is? If the OP doesn't suspect a virus, there's no reason not to do a system restore first. It's quicker than a full scan and there's any number of things that can cause a slow down, including downloads that are not malware.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS, let it go. How many times do think the OP needs to hear about a virus scan? I suggested a system restore without mentioning ANY of the previous suggestions. Do you even know what a system restore is? If the OP doesn't suspect a virus, there's no reason not to do a system restore first. It's quicker than a full scan and there's any number of things that can cause a slow down, including downloads that are not malware.

Yes, I do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

FFS. I agree with zx50. I would look for AV/AM issues rather than a system restore. All it's going to do is undo something that perhaps needed doing and will therefore need to be done again. Unless they are just regular checkpoints, which they aren't in the main with all the updates that cause restore points to be created.

But obviously this is secondary to the points raised by chrisjr and albertd - try a different connection and remove the dongle software. And uninstalling expired AV - why the hell anyone would leave something that isn't maintained on a PC I have a problem understanding.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not hard to get some decent upto date AV and malware and set it going and then take a bath/walk the dog/slap a movie on the dvd player while letting it do its thing

If you can take it to a friends house and connect it up there to see if theres any improvement would be my next choice as i'd hate to take a machine full of nasties to someone elses house and possibly infect their machines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    FFS. I agree with zx50. I would look for AV/AM issues rather than a system restore. All it's going to do is undo something that perhaps needed doing and will therefore need to be done again. Unless they are just regular checkpoints, which they aren't in the main with all the updates that cause restore points to be created.

But obviously this is secondary to the points raised by chrisjr and albertd - try a different connection and remove the dongle software. And uninstalling expired AV - why the hell anyone would leave something that isn't maintained on a PC I have a problem understanding.

I doubt that. Something was done in the past couple days that caused the slow down. Nothing he's done after that has solved the problem. So what's this change you're so keen on preserving?

Read my posts again. I'm not against scanning for malware. I just don't know why it has to be mentioned in every damn post anyone writes. What's so wrong with assuming the OP read the previous posts and coming up with a new suggestion?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt that. Something was done in the past couple days that caused the slow down. Nothing he's done after that has solved the problem. So what's this change you're so keen on preserving?

Read my posts again. I'm not against scanning for malware. I just don't know why it has to be mentioned in every damn post anyone writes. What's so wrong with assuming the OP read the previous posts and coming up with a new suggestion?

Read my answer again. System Restore creates useful or periodic checkpoints. If they're useful, it's because something was changed - installations are not changed unless they have been changed with intent or reason. If they're periodic, then there will be no benefit to undoing them.

Half the time, System Restore doesn't complete anyway, so tell me why the time invested is worthwhile. IF there was an unbootable system, it would be a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card IF it could be relied upon to work. :p