Neighbours who take the 'p'

mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
Forum Member
✭✭
One of the neighbours is known for not helping others out - ie if their car is stuck on the ice etc. but he always expects others to come to his aid. Plus a while back he asked if I could take him to a local (ish) garage to collect his car. I said yes as I was on my way out anyway and it was no hassle taking a detour to drop him off. He asked if I could hang around while he went into the garage office. Then he emerged with a car part :confused: He claimed he must have got the telephone message wrong. So I had to bring him all the way back - before going out.
Anyhow just had his wife round when I was up a ladder making use of the last hour or so of light to spruce the place up before a house viewer turns up tomorrow. 'Could I spare an hour to take her to the local town to pick up some petrol as she has run out'? I waved my paint brush at her and declined and she looked quite shocked. If that had been me I would have sucked it up and telephoned the private hire place a mile or so away to take me to a garage. In fact in the time it took her to do the rounds of the neighbours she could have been filling up a can. Or am I a meany? :confused:

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No you're not a meany.

[/thread]
  • mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I do not think you are being mean at all, i think your neighbours do indeed take the 'P'!!. Do not be afraid to say NO when it suits you to do so, it is nice that you all look out for each other and help out though, think where it can be it should be a 2 way street really, unless of course someone is ill or disabled then a good neighbour can be a lifeline. Now you have said No to the pain in the bum neighbours perhaps they will be a bit more considerate in future.....hopefully :)
  • Super BanditSuper Bandit Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem you're not a free taxi service
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    We've always had good neighbours until we moved into our current house. It's a converted farm steading which has been made into 4 homes with a shared access road and parking courtyard.

One of the neighbours is a complete nutjob, there's no other way to say it. But I've come to really dislike the other ones also. I think there's something about the shared courtyard setting that makes you come into too much contact with them and familiarity breeds contempt.

In the summer especially I feel like I can't even go out to the car without tripping over neighbours and having to make crap chat.

We're putting our house up for sale this week and won't be buying anything with a courtyard type setting again.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've always had good neighbours until we moved into our current house. It's a converted farm steading which has been made into 4 homes with a shared access road and parking courtyard.

One of the neighbours is a complete nutjob, there's no other way to say it. But I've come to really dislike the other ones also. I think there's something about the shared courtyard setting that makes you come into too much contact with them and familiarity breeds contempt.

In the summer especially I feel like I can't even go out to the car without tripping over neighbours and having to make crap chat.

We're putting our house up for sale this week and won't be buying anything with a courtyard type setting again.

That sounds similar to living in a cul de sac.

You can't do anything in the front of the house without getting updated with the local gossip, or making meaningless small talk.

And of course smile inanely as your neighbours kids play football on your open plan front garden.

Im hoping to sell up next year and would never buy a place in a cup de sac again.The neighbours are too much in your face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Do neighbours cats coming in to your house and helping themselves to your cat's food and using your gardens to hold their territorial disputes at half past three/twlve in the morning count?
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a tiny rural community which sounds ideal. But if you have just a couple of people who are particularly nosy or annoying, it has a much bigger impact.
    I'm beginning to think the ideal for me is either a place away on its own without any neighbours or paradoxically somewhere busier with lots of people around where people mind their own business.
    Plus beware of sharing anything ie access, parking, septic tanks..... :(
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in a tiny rural community which sounds ideal. But if you have just a couple of people who are particularly nosy or annoying, it has a much bigger impact.

Same here. I live in a small circle of houses in the middle of nowhere. Its just us, a local pub and a small newsagents. Everyone knows everything about you. I had a new neighbour about 2yrs ago who I hadn't met yet, but I walked into the shop and heard everything about him, his name, job, family life - the lot.

You can't fart or put out a new pot plant without everyone knowing about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Do neighbours cats coming in to your house and helping themselves to your cat's food and using your gardens to hold their territorial disputes at half past three/twlve in the morning count?

I don't even have a cat but get to enjoy the neighbours cats coming into the garden for toiletting and throwing up. Does that count? :confused:
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. We're looking for something on its own or a quiet plot somewhere. When I lived side by side with people on an ordinary street in the middle of a town it was actually ok. Neighbours were nice enough but they kept themselves to themselves.

Where I am now though I'm so sick of them. And if it's not money for shared access road repairs or whatever it's people getting uppity about where bins get collected from or moaning about agtes being closed, not being closed etc.

It's not the money or even the disagreement, it's the constant need for painful interaction with people I just don't really like very much.

We've kind of drawn a line in the sand and pulled back from them all, and just do what suits us. Just want to be left alone really. If they don't like it, they can just **** off.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm beginning to think the ideal for me is either a place away on its own without any neighbours or paradoxically somewhere busier with lots of people around where people mind their own business.
    Plus beware of sharing anything ie access, parking, septic tanks..... :(

I know some people who like to keep themselves to themselves but live in a village of 150 people in a barn with shared drive with the old house. They simply can't avoid having to deal with the neighbours (who get pernickety about the use of the shared drive because they lived there first), and the villagers who need to know *everything* about everything. One of my friends is a GP, which is doubly bad - the entire village thinks they have open access to her medical diagnoses even though her practice is on the other side of Bristol!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

You can't fart or put out a new pot plant without everyone knowing about it.
    Well I'm moving house and this is one of the issues. Seriously. Never forgot the incident where someone got the wrong post, opened it in error and found that another neighbour was bankrupt. Instead of keeping it to himself, he told someone, who told someone else, who told someone else, who told me. :confused:
    I think I'll have some fun before I leave. Like having a string of men calling (though I might have to pay them:confused:) or telling one person 'in confidence' that I have come into a large sum of money :D Or I could simply tell someone that there is going to be fracking for shale gas or I have been a secret M15 agent all along........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where I am now though I'm so sick of them. And if it's not money for shared access road repairs or whatever it's people getting uppity about where bins get collected from or moaning about agtes being closed, not being closed etc.

It's not the money or even the disagreement, it's the constant need for painful interaction with people I just don't really like very much.
    Gosh we could be living in the same place! But it's the money too. 'X' owns a couple of properties in the hamlet (as well as elsewhere). The other house is part of his 'retirement fund'. So of course he wants the community to throw a pile of money at replacing the communal septic tank (just in time for his house sale). At the other end of the scale are people like me who just want to repair....
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have a neighbour who used to frequently ( at least ) once a week try to borrow something. It went along the lines of " we're having sausages for tea but I haven't got any, can I borrow some?" Or, " I want the baby to try broccoli. Have you got any?" I began to wonder if someone had stuck an Asda sign over our door.

Mr PB lost patience with her in the end, asking to borrow booze was a bridge too far. Good old Debbie, I often wonder if she's out there trying cadge stuff off her current neighbours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mr PB lost patience with her in the end, asking to borrow booze was a bridge too far. Good old Debbie, I often wonder if she's out there trying cadge stuff off her current neighbours.

Well get this. I was home alone on New Years Eve. Cue knock on door, slightly wobbly neighbour saying he had run out of booze and did I have any spare for their party? Not even a 'Please join us'. Just 'have you a spare bottle?' :cry:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a reputation for being a grumpy b'stard then noone will bother you :D
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Well I'm moving house and this is one of the issues. Seriously. Never forgot the incident where someone got the wrong post, opened it in error and found that another neighbour was bankrupt. Instead of keeping it to himself, he told someone, who told someone else, who told someone else, who told me. :confused:
    I think I'll have some fun before I leave. Like having a string of men calling (though I might have to pay them:confused:) or telling one person 'in confidence' that I have come into a large sum of money :D Or I could simply tell someone that there is going to be fracking for shale gas or I have been a secret M15 agent all along........:D

Do a lot of nocturnal digging in the garden, making sure the neighbours can hear you muttering things like "Nobody will ever find it now!"
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even have a cat but get to enjoy the neighbours cats coming into the garden for toiletting and throwing up. Does that count? :confused:

This year has been a made a nightmare thanks to neighbours' nuisance cats.
    During the day, they use my garden as a toilet and leave half dead animals all over, try to get in my windows so I've had to endure the hot weather without any fresh air and at night they tear around upstairs from 1-5am.
    Asked the nicely, made complaints, nothing.

My dog got one of them in the end, but the just bought a new one >:(
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My neighbours on one side are awful, but they don't speak to us, so don't ask to borrow anything.

My other neighbour is so lovely, she can borrow anything she likes. She has a key to my back door so she can take my dog out, and is welcome to help herself!

Good neighbours can make a place, bad ones can ruin it for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do a lot of nocturnal digging in the garden, making sure the neighbours can hear you muttering things like "Nobody will ever find it now!"

I like this idea :D
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one neighbour well a couple taking the p i like to tinker with pcs so know my way around them, a neighbours pc went funny she asked me to have a look which i didn't mind and i fixed it for her it was just a case of rolling back a driver.
    Then she went and told people to come see me if their pcs went haywire i did peoples pcs a few times then lost patience a neighbour asked me to have a look at their pc i replied "right it'll be a £20 fee for me looking at it then it'll be chargable at £20 for servicing plus extra for any parts" they soon stopped asking.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    My neighbours on one side are awful, but they don't speak to us, so don't ask to borrow anything.

My other neighbour is so lovely, she can borrow anything she likes. She has a key to my back door so she can take my dog out, and is welcome to help herself!

Good neighbours can make a place, bad ones can ruin it for you.

Very very true.

The first week my new neighbour moved in next door she came around banging on my door to inform me that she was the new 'secretary' on the neighbourhood committee (I've never heard of this committee) If I had any problems, I should inform her and she'll sort them out (she was just being nosey IMO)

I informed her that I have been here for over 20 years and can sort my own problems out thank you very much. She now points her nose in the air when she sees me. :) Suits me fine. Other neighbours can not stop her interfering with them, but she gives me a wide berth. :cool:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Nobody will think to look for him/her here!' might be still better!:o:D